Nigeria Digital TV News
NIGCOMSAT launches NextTV DTH platform
May 27, 2019 – NIGCOMSAT has launched NextTV, a new satellite DTH platform. The platform is a joint venture between Nigus International, NIGCOMSAT and China Great Wall Industry Corporation (CGWIC). The service will be available across Africa on NigComSat 1R at 42.5°E.
News categories: NextTV, NIGCOMSAT, Nigus, CGWIC, Africa, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
African OTT TV revenues to reach $1 billion
Jan 14, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, Sub-Saharan African OTT movie and TV episode revenues will reach $1,018 million by 2024 – up from $223 million in 2018. Despite this quintupling of revenues, Africa still has a lot of potential growth in the long-term.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, OTT, South Africa, Tanzania
Eutelsat satellite market leader in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast
Nov 13, 2018 – A study of TV reception in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast, has positioned Eutelsat as satellite market leader within those countries. Interviews were conducted with 3,000 households in Nigeria, 2,000 in Cameroon and 2,000 in Ivory Coast.
News categories: Eutelsat, Nicolas Baravalle, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite
Africa’s entertainment and media industry enters dynamic new era
Sep 19, 2018 – Africa’s entertainment and media (E&M) industry has entered a dynamic new phase - a third wave of convergence. The borders that once separated the E&M, technology and telecommunications industries are blurring in the battle for the attention of the consumer in a world that is rapidly digitising.
News categories: PwC, Vicki Myburgh, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania
V-Nova PERSEUS enables launch of Pipul TV in Nigeria
Sep 6, 2018 – V-Nova has announced that Pipul TV, a Nigerian-based education and entertainment television and media communications network, has selected V-Nova PERSEUS Plus to support the launch of the company’s new TV service.
News categories: V-Nova, Pipul TV, Guido Meardi, Benjamin Okoroafor, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, OTT
Pay TV subscribers in Africa to grow 74% between 2017 and 2023
Jan 8, 2018 – The number of pay TV subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa will increase by 74% between 2017 and 2023 to reach 40.89 million. However, Digital TV Research estimates that subscriber growth will outstrip revenue progress.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, DRC, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda
Nigeria to switch-on DTT in Kwara and Kaduna states
Dec 18, 2017 – The National Broadcasting Commission of Nigeria will on Wednesday December 20, 2017 and Friday December 22, 2017 switch Kwara and Kaduna States from Analogue transmission to Digital Terrestrial Television transmission.
News categories: National Broadcasting Commission, Is’haq Modibbo Kawu, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Terrestrial
TSTV to launch DTH TV on ABS-3A at 3°W in Nigeria
Jun 28, 2017 – ABS and Telcom Satellites TV (TSTV) have signed a multi-transponder agreement to deliver a Direct-to-Home (DTH) broadcast service into Nigeria on ABS-3A. The new platform is scheduled to be launched on 25th July 2017.
News categories: ABS, TSTV, Tom Choi, Bright Echefu, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
Niger discusses collaboration with Nigeria on digital switch over
Jun 12, 2017 – Nigeria and other ECOWAS Member Countries have agreed to adopt a Common Minimum Standard for Set-Top-Boxes in the Sub-Region, meaning that STBs manufactured in Nigeria can also be available for use in all the ECOWAS Countries.
News categories: National Broadcasting Commission, Digital TV, Niger, Nigeria, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box
- Netgem and Sharp release smart soundbar for telcos