Nigeria Digital TV News
African OTT TV revenues to reach $1 billion
Jan 14, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, Sub-Saharan African OTT movie and TV episode revenues will reach $1,018 million by 2024 – up from $223 million in 2018. Despite this quintupling of revenues, Africa still has a lot of potential growth in the long-term.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, OTT, South Africa, Tanzania
Eutelsat satellite market leader in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast
Nov 13, 2018 – A study of TV reception in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast, has positioned Eutelsat as satellite market leader within those countries. Interviews were conducted with 3,000 households in Nigeria, 2,000 in Cameroon and 2,000 in Ivory Coast.
News categories: Eutelsat, Nicolas Baravalle, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite
Africa’s entertainment and media industry enters dynamic new era
Sep 19, 2018 – Africa’s entertainment and media (E&M) industry has entered a dynamic new phase - a third wave of convergence. The borders that once separated the E&M, technology and telecommunications industries are blurring in the battle for the attention of the consumer in a world that is rapidly digitising.
News categories: PwC, Vicki Myburgh, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania
V-Nova PERSEUS enables launch of Pipul TV in Nigeria
Sep 6, 2018 – V-Nova has announced that Pipul TV, a Nigerian-based education and entertainment television and media communications network, has selected V-Nova PERSEUS Plus to support the launch of the company’s new TV service.
News categories: V-Nova, Pipul TV, Guido Meardi, Benjamin Okoroafor, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, OTT
Pay TV subscribers in Africa to grow 74% between 2017 and 2023
Jan 8, 2018 – The number of pay TV subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa will increase by 74% between 2017 and 2023 to reach 40.89 million. However, Digital TV Research estimates that subscriber growth will outstrip revenue progress.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, DRC, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda
Nigeria to switch-on DTT in Kwara and Kaduna states
Dec 18, 2017 – The National Broadcasting Commission of Nigeria will on Wednesday December 20, 2017 and Friday December 22, 2017 switch Kwara and Kaduna States from Analogue transmission to Digital Terrestrial Television transmission.
News categories: National Broadcasting Commission, Is’haq Modibbo Kawu, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Terrestrial
TSTV to launch DTH TV on ABS-3A at 3°W in Nigeria
Jun 28, 2017 – ABS and Telcom Satellites TV (TSTV) have signed a multi-transponder agreement to deliver a Direct-to-Home (DTH) broadcast service into Nigeria on ABS-3A. The new platform is scheduled to be launched on 25th July 2017.
News categories: ABS, TSTV, Tom Choi, Bright Echefu, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
Niger discusses collaboration with Nigeria on digital switch over
Jun 12, 2017 – Nigeria and other ECOWAS Member Countries have agreed to adopt a Common Minimum Standard for Set-Top-Boxes in the Sub-Region, meaning that STBs manufactured in Nigeria can also be available for use in all the ECOWAS Countries.
News categories: National Broadcasting Commission, Digital TV, Niger, Nigeria, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
iflix extends footprint to sub-Saharan Africa
Jun 1, 2017 – iflix has announced the establishment of iflix Africa to bring its service to sub-Saharan Africa. With launches planned in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania and Zimbabwe, iflix Africa will increase iflix’s global footprint to 23 territories.
News categories: iflix, Mark Britt, Andre de Wet, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, OTT, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
- Singapore to introduce measures against illicit streaming devices
- DAZN drives global growth via social video with Grabyo
- Cox Media and Nielsen renew TV and audio measurement agreement
- TDG research shows sensitivity of Netflix subscribers to price rises
- Sinclair Broadcast launches free TV streaming service, STIRR
- Wurl launches server-side ad insertion for Connected TVs
- 16% of U.S. broadband households share online video passwords
- OTE agrees to sell Telekom Albania to Albania Telecom Invest
- Mediamorph achieves record customer acquisitions in 2018
- Half of all U.S. video viewing is done with others
- ShortsTV selects Synacor's Cloud Identity Platform
- SpotX releases '2019 Video Advertising Trends' report
- Mirada multiscreen solution launches at One Communications in Bermuda
- Vestel releases first CASTVs with integrated broadcast pay TV
- TrueVisions extends CA partnership with Synamedia
- Liberty Latin America confirms discussions with Millicom
- NBCUniversal announces Direct-to-Consumer streaming service
- Syncbak to debut straight to OTT syndication marketplace at NATPE 2019
- Endeavor video technology with NeuLion becomes Endeavor Streaming
- TrueVisions takes Ku-band capacity on Thaicom-8