Nigeria Digital TV News
Satellite TV gains popularity in Ghana and Nigeria
Jun 25, 2020 – An SES survey has revealed a steady increase in the penetration of satellite TV across Africa. The study shows an increase in SES reach from 33 million African households in 2018 to 35 million households in 2019.
News categories: SES S.A, Clint Brown, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ghana, IPTV, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Trefoil Networks launches OurTV on Nigcomsat 1R
Feb 13, 2020 – OurTV is an African DTH satellite TV service offering 20+ free-to-view channels via its OurTV set-top box or decoder. Protected by Verimatrix, OurTV hybrid STBs offer PVR and allow users to watch YouTube and other OTT.
News categories: Trefoil Networks, OurTV, Africa, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
PanAccess’ Nigerian bouquet now on Amos-17
Feb 3, 2020 – Spacecom (Tel Aviv: SCC) has announced that it is providing Ku-band capacity from its AMOS-17 communication satellite to PanAccess for broadcasting to Nigeria. PanAccess’ bouquet, originating in Germany, is broadcast from 17°E.
News categories: Spacecom, PanAccess, Eyal Altshuler, Roland Schlichting, Conditional Access, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
NIGCOMSAT launches NextTV DTH platform
May 27, 2019 – NIGCOMSAT has launched NextTV, a new satellite DTH platform. The platform is a joint venture between Nigus International, NIGCOMSAT and China Great Wall Industry Corporation (CGWIC). The service will be available across Africa on NigComSat 1R at 42.5°E.
News categories: NextTV, NIGCOMSAT, Nigus, CGWIC, Africa, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
African OTT TV revenues to reach $1 billion
Jan 14, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, Sub-Saharan African OTT movie and TV episode revenues will reach $1,018 million by 2024 – up from $223 million in 2018. Despite this quintupling of revenues, Africa still has a lot of potential growth in the long-term.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, OTT, South Africa, Tanzania
Eutelsat satellite market leader in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast
Nov 13, 2018 – A study of TV reception in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast, has positioned Eutelsat as satellite market leader within those countries. Interviews were conducted with 3,000 households in Nigeria, 2,000 in Cameroon and 2,000 in Ivory Coast.
News categories: Eutelsat, Nicolas Baravalle, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite
Africa’s entertainment and media industry enters dynamic new era
Sep 19, 2018 – Africa’s entertainment and media (E&M) industry has entered a dynamic new phase - a third wave of convergence. The borders that once separated the E&M, technology and telecommunications industries are blurring in the battle for the attention of the consumer in a world that is rapidly digitising.
News categories: PwC, Vicki Myburgh, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania
V-Nova PERSEUS enables launch of Pipul TV in Nigeria
Sep 6, 2018 – V-Nova has announced that Pipul TV, a Nigerian-based education and entertainment television and media communications network, has selected V-Nova PERSEUS Plus to support the launch of the company’s new TV service.
News categories: V-Nova, Pipul TV, Guido Meardi, Benjamin Okoroafor, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, OTT
Pay TV subscribers in Africa to grow 74% between 2017 and 2023
Jan 8, 2018 – The number of pay TV subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa will increase by 74% between 2017 and 2023 to reach 40.89 million. However, Digital TV Research estimates that subscriber growth will outstrip revenue progress.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, DRC, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
- Origin Broadband launches Origin TV in the UK with Netgem