VR (Virtual Reality) and Immersive Video News
Hologram dining experience opens in London and Edinburgh
Apr 15, 2021 – The world's first hologram dining experience has opened in London and Edinburgh. Virgin Media’s 'Two Hearts Pizzeria' will connect diners at opposite ends of the UK via a real-time holographic dining experience.
News categories: Virgin Media, Jeff Dodds, Dr James Bellini, Digital TV, UK, VR
Entain and Verizon Media to develop VR experience for live sports
Dec 17, 2020 – Verizon Media and Entain plc (LSE: ENT) have announced that they will develop a highly immersive proof of concept VR experience that will combine live sports viewing with interactive layers of sports data and gaming.
News categories: Verizon Media, Entain, Guru Gowrappan, Shay Segev, Digital TV, Market Research, UK, USA, UX, VR
InterDigital announces completion of VVC and V-PCC MPEG standards
Dec 17, 2020 – InterDigital (NASDAQ: IDCC) has announced the finalization of the VVC and V-PCC video standards. VVC improves HEVC performance by 50%, while V-PCC is the first MPEG compression standard for dynamic point cloud content for immersive video experiences.
News categories: InterDigital, Lionel Oisel, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, VR, Worldwide
VR consumer content revenue to exceed $7 billion in 2025
Nov 30, 2020 – Research from Juniper Research has found that consumer VR content will generate more than $7 billion in revenue in 2025, up over 160% compared with 2020. The primary driver in this space will be console gamers.
News categories: Juniper Research, James Moar, Gaming, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Worldwide spending on AR/VR to deliver strong growth through 2024
Nov 17, 2020 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to accelerate out of the pandemic, growing from just over $12.0 billion this year to $72.8 billion in 2024, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Stacey Soohoo, Tom Mainelli, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Brainstorm coordinates AdMiRe mixed reality R&D project
Nov 17, 2020 – Brainstorm is coordinating AdMiRe, an EU-funded project that focuses on the development and validation of Mixed Reality solutions to improve interest and participation of TV audiences as well as the generation of more attractive content.
News categories: AdMiRe, Brainstorm, Javier Montesa, Francisco Ibáñez, Digital TV, EU, VR
Condense Reality secures £800k seed investment
Oct 7, 2020 – Condense Reality, a virtual reality startup developing technology to transform how viewers watch live entertainment and sports, has raised a seed round of more than £800,000, including £220,000 from SFC Capital.
News categories: Condense Reality, SFC Capital, BT Sport, Nick Fellingham, Stephen Page, Digital TV, Streaming, UK, VR, Worldwide
VR market to grow despite pandemic blow to location-based segment
Sep 24, 2020 – ABI Research expects the VR market to grow in 2020 despite some negative impacts from COVID-19. The pandemic, however, has accelerated some trends and increased interest and adoption of immersive technologies.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, COVID-19, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
VR headset market expected to grow despite short-term decline
Sep 16, 2020 – As the world continues to deal with the pandemic, the market for virtual reality (VR) headsets is expected to decline 6.7% in 2020 before returning to double-digit growth of 46.2% in 2021, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
- Airtel launches Video Platform as a Service product
- Comcast launches Smart TVs based on its XClass TV platform
- ViacomCBS and Altice USA renew distribution agreement
- OTT now at 82% consumer saturation in the U.S.
- MultTV and MwareTV launch multi-tenant TV as a Service in Brazil
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
- HBO Max to be available at Telia from October 26
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil