Hong Kong (HK) Digital TV News
Hong Kong to begin analogue TV switch off on November 30, 2020
Feb 11, 2019 – According to Hong Kong's Secretary of Commerce and Economic Development, formal switching off of analogue TV services will begin on November 30, 2020, meaning that Hong Kong will enter into an era of full digital TV broadcasting from December 1, 2020.
News categories: Commerce and Economic Development Bureau, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Hong Kong, Terrestrial
Casbaa releases updated pay TV and OTT Regulatory Review for Asia
Jul 19, 2018 – Casbaa has released a review of OTT and regulatory policies for the video industry around Asia. Based on a year-long study of legal frameworks and government policies, Casbaa has examined key issues in regulation of the pay TV and online video industry.
News categories: Casbaa, Louis Boswell, John Medeiros, Australia, Cambodia, China, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, UK, USA, Vietnam
Brightcove releases research on OTT TV adoption in Asia
Jun 27, 2018 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV) has announced findings from a study carried out in partnership with YouGov that polled 5,000 participants across Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand. The purpose was to discover how consumers are responding to OTT TV services.
News categories: Brightcove, YouGov, Ben Morrell, Asia, Digital TV, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Market Research, OTT, Singapore, Thailand
PCCW Media delivers live UHD HDR football coverage with Harmonic
Jun 25, 2018 – Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) has announced that PCCW Media's Now TV pay TV service in Hong Kong is delivering 4K live coverage of world-class sports events using an UHD HDR solution from Harmonic.
News categories: Harmonic, PCCW, Tony Berthaud, Kevin Chu, ConnecTechAsia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Hong Kong, IPTV
Nearly one in four Hong Kong consumers use pirated TV boxes
Jun 25, 2018 – In a newly released Casbaa survey of the content viewing behaviour of Hong Kong consumers, it was revealed that close to one in four consumers (24%) use a TV box which can be used to stream pirated television and video content.
News categories: Casbaa, Neil Gane, Louis Boswell, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, OTT
Asian pay TV subscribers with 4K STBs reached 53.6 million in 2017
Mar 30, 2018 – According to Dataxis, the number of Pay TV subscribers in Asia owning a 4K set top box reached 53.6 million at the end of 2017. So far, more than 30 Pay TV operators have launched 4K set-top-boxes in Asia.
News categories: Dataxis, Australia, China, Digital TV, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Market Research, New Zealand, Set Top Box, Taiwan
Nielsen Marketing Cloud launches in APAC
Nov 29, 2017 – Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN) has launched its Nielsen Marketing Cloud in APAC empowering its clients to improve their advertising and content marketing effectiveness with a combination of audience data, technology and sales measurement.
News categories: Nielsen, TVB, Damian Garbaccio, S.K. Cheong, Advertising, Asia, Big Data, Hong Kong
Hong Kong's MyTV Super extends Verimatrix deployment to its OTT service
Sep 14, 2017 – Verimatrix has announced that MyTV Super has extended its deployment of the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS) for Internet TV to provide over-the-top (OTT) video security for its myTV SUPER video service launched in 2016.
News categories: Verimatrix, MyTV Super, Steve Oetegenn, Rex Ching, Content Protection, Digital TV, Hong Kong, IBCShowcase, Mobile, OTT, Set Top Box
Viu hits 6 million active users, 50% growth in 4 months
Apr 25, 2017 – Viu has announced that it hit 6 million monthly active users (MAU) across its markets in March this year, up 50% on November 2016. Viu is now available in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Oman, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, Kuwait, Egypt and Bahrain.
News categories: PCCW Media, Janice Lee, Bahrain, Digital TV, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Oman, OTT, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Subscribers, UAE
- ViacomCBS, DISH Media, Adcuratio enable broadcast inventory on MVPD STBs
- DoubleVerify earns MRC accreditation for CTV measurement
- Philco launches Roku TV lineup in Brazil
- Chips&Media introduces WAVE6 series of video codec IPs
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue up 7.3% in 2020
- Kantar expands TV audience measurement panel in Georgia
- TDS introduces live, streaming TV product
- LG announces 2021 NEXTGEN TVs
- GTPL Hathway digital CATV subscribers unchanged YoY at 7.35 million
- Nordic consumers’ media spend unaffected by the pandemic
- Amazon launches mobile-only video plan in India
- VUALTO event orchestration and DRM chosen for ITV Hub VOD delivery
- Nielsen now tracking premium theatrical films on VOD platforms
- rlaxx TV now available on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV
- SK Broadband selects NAGRA forensic watermarking for IPTV STBs
- 24i integrates Float Left Roku framework with its app platform
- Survey shows 27% of U.S. households plan to cut cable TV in 2021
- Cellnex Telecom selects Intertrust DRM for LOVEStv
- Synamedia integrates security and watermarking with Akamai
- Five-year CAGR of 1.1% for pay-TV revenues in Thailand