Digital TV News: NPD
Roku TV no. 1 Smart TV OS in the U.S. and Canada
Jan 8, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced that Roku OS was the No. 1 smart TV OS sold in the U.S. and Canada. Roku TV had 38% market share in the US and 31% in Canada, based on data from January 5 to December 26, 2020.
News categories: Roku, Mustafa Ozgen, Canada, CES2023, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
TV installed base in the U.S. getting bigger and newer
Dec 23, 2020 – According to NPD, over the last several years American TV screens have been inching up in size. Installed TVs in the U.S. are now larger (15% are 60" or over) and newer (the average age is 4.9 years) than ever before.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Stephen Baker, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
U.S. viewers now bundling seven streaming services
Dec 14, 2020 – According to a survey from The NPD Group, consumers that use streaming to view content are now using seven services, including SVOD and free streaming video services, up from five in April 2020.
News categories: The NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Apple TV app launches on VIZIO SmartCast TVs
Sep 8, 2020 – VIZIO has announced that customers in the US and Canada can now access the Apple TV app on SmartCast TVs. Eligible VIZIO SmartCast customers in the US can sign up for Apple TV+ and receive three months free.
News categories: VIZIO, Apple TV, Mike O'Donnell, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
Voice Assistants, Operating Systems to disrupt consumer ecosystem
Jun 18, 2020 – As connected tech adoption continues to increase among U.S. households, operating systems (iOS, Android) and the accompanying voice assistants are becoming increasingly important to consumers, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
U.S. weekly Netflix usage up 72% since COVID-19 pandemic began
May 4, 2020 – Since shelter at home orders were announced in the U.S., there has been a 72% increase in the number of Netflix subscriber profiles that were used to stream video each week, according to NPD. Less densely populated regions also saw DVD and Blu-ray sales growth.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
TCL ranked #2 in TV shipments in 2019
Mar 2, 2020 – According to Sigmaintell, TCL Electronics (01070.HK) grew strongly in overseas markets in 2019 driving the company's total TV shipments for the year to 32 million units, up 12% over the previous year.
News categories: TCL, Sigmaintell, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
NPD expects continued growth for U.S. consumer technology through 2022
Feb 3, 2020 – According to The NPD Group, 2019 marked the third consecutive year of growth for the U.S. consumer tech industry with sales up 3% over the previous year. NPD’s forecast is for 5% revenue growth in the U.S. this year, followed by 4% in 2021, and 3% in 2022.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
U.S. weekly time watching Netflix and Hulu up 20 minutes in 2019
Jan 21, 2020 – In 2019, U.S. consumers watched about 20 minutes more streamed TV content per week on Netflix than they did in 2018. Weekly time spent watching the top two SVOD services rose 7%, growing from 3 hours 45 minutes in 2018 to 4 hours 6 minutes in 2019, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD, Kathi Chandler-Payatt, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
- SUPER RTL launch TOGGO multiscreen service enabled by 3SS
- 24i launches 24iQ personalization and recommendations service
- Great Wall Motor selects ACCESS-powered IVI system from BEAN TECH
- Infovista enables user experience testing for OTT and 5G apps and services
- UAE TV viewership research launched at CABSAT 2022
- Another record month for U.S. streaming in April
- Global OTT revenues to grow to $224 billion in 2027
- Conviva data shows double digit streaming growth worldwide
- Nielsen deduplicates audiences across Smart TV and streaming providers
- 605 extends agreement to use VIZIO ACR data
- Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
- U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
- Telestream acquires Encoding.com
- Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
- Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
- iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
- SVOD reaches saturation in Sweden