Digital TV News: National Association of Broadcasters
Intel and Netflix announce SVT-AV1 video codec at The NAB Show
Apr 8, 2019 – At The NAB Show, Intel and Netflix announced a high-performance video codec that is available as open source and royalty-free to content creators, developers and service providers. Scalable Video Technology for AV1 (SVT-AV1) offers performance and scalability in video processing.
News categories: Intel Corp, Netflix, Lynn Comp, David Ronca, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, NABShow, Streaming, Worldwide
U.S. proposes ATSC 3.0 as an international digital broadcast standard
Apr 8, 2019 – The U.S. has proposed to the ITU adoption of the ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard for use by all countries in the world. The proposal is the first major step in the evaluation process for worldwide acceptance of the standard.
News categories: Advanced Television Systems Committee, International Telecommunication Union, Jerald Fritz, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Worldwide
Phoenix Model Market to add second transmission site and SFN broadcasts
Apr 4, 2019 – The Phoenix Model Market project will soon expand beyond a single Next-Gen TV transmission tower to include an additional Single Frequency Network (SFN) station, to help broadcasters evaluate the benefits of SFN transmissions.
News categories: Pearl TV, Phoenix Model Market, Anne Schelle, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
Nielsen audience measurement watermark transmitted over ATSC 3.0
Apr 3, 2019 – The NAB has announced the successful transmission of a Nielsen audience measurement watermark – inaudible signals in a program’s audio that helps identify the program for audience measurement purposes – using the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast transmission standard.
News categories: National Association of Broadcasters, Nielsen, Sam Matheny, Catherine Herkovic, ATSC 3, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
SK Telecom, Harman and Sinclair to commercialize in-car ATSC 3.0
Jan 10, 2019 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) and Sinclair Broadcast (Nasdaq: SBGI) have announced that with Harman they intend to jointly develop and commercialize digital broadcasting network-based automotive electronics technology for global markets.
News categories: Sinclair Broadcast, SK Telecom, Harman, Chris Ripley, Park Jung-ho, Dinesh Paliwal, ATSC 3, CES2023, Digital TV, In-Car, Korea, NABShow, USA, Worldwide
ATEME enable ATSC 3.0 field research at NAB/CTA test site in Cleveland
Dec 18, 2018 – ATEME is enabling real-world ATSC 3.0 field research and testing of next-generation television features at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB)/Consumer Technology Association (CTA) test station in Cleveland, OH.
News categories: ATEME, Chad Hassler, Dr. Mickael Raulet, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
NAB and CTA to run experimental ATSC 3.0 site in Cleveland, Ohio
Nov 7, 2017 – As the FCC prepares to vote this month to authorize voluntary implementation of the new Next Gen TV broadcast standard, the broadcasting and consumer technology industries are collaborating on a 'living laboratory' ATSC 3.0 test station in Cleveland, Ohio.
News categories: National Association of Broadcasters, Consumer Technology Association, Gordon Smith, Gary Shapiro, Bill VanDuynhoven, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Terrestrial, USA
SES, Fraunhofer HHI and Newtec show 360° VR over DVB-S2X at NABShow
Apr 25, 2017 – SES (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG), together with Fraunhofer HHI and Newtec, will demonstrate an immersive Virtual Reality (VR) experience via a live 360-degree Ultra HD VR satellite broadcast at NAB 2017 in Las Vegas.
News categories: SES S.A, Fraunhofer, Newtec, Thomas Wrede, Ralf Schäfer, Hans Massart, Content Distribution, DVB-S2, Metaverse, NABShow, Satellite, USA
Nearly 40% of U.S. broadband households visit video sharing sites weekly
Apr 20, 2017 – Research from Parks Associates reveals that 39% of U.S. broadband households visit a video sharing site like YouTube at least once a week. In total, 59% of U.S. broadband households visit an online video site on a regular basis.
News categories: Parks Associates, Glenn Hower, Digital TV, Market Research, NABShow, Streaming, USA
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December