Digital TV News: Netflix
Swedish streaming market saturating
Feb 11, 2020 – According to Mediavision, 54% of households in Sweden subscribe to at least one video streaming service. The limited growth over the past year may be a sign of the market maturing. However, the number of subscriptions per household is increasing steadily.
News categories: Mediavision, Marie Nilsson, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Sweden
Liberty extends Netflix partnership in Europe
Feb 10, 2020 – Liberty Global has announced a deal with Netflix that will allow it to continue to offer access to the service in Europe. Liberty Global plans to leverage its broadband networks to provide the streaming content alongside broadcast and on-demand programming.
News categories: Liberty Global, Netflix, Enrique Rodriguez, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Set Top Box
Canada's Media Technology Monitor reports on SVOD, podcasting, co-viewing and more
Feb 6, 2020 – The Media Technology Monitor (MTM) has released its Sneak Peek Report. According to the survey, 1 in 6 Canadians show interest in subscribing to Disney+ and 1 in 10 show interest in getting Apple TV+. Netflix continues its domination.
News categories: Media Technology Monitor, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Disney+ to reach 126 million subscribers globally
Feb 6, 2020 – Digital TV Research has upgraded its forecasts for Disney+. Disney+ will be the biggest SVOD winner over the next five years. Disney+ will add 105 million paying subscribers between end-2019 and 2025 to take its total to 126 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Disney+ has the potential to make a strong entrance in the UK
Feb 5, 2020 – According to Goldmedia, up to 7.6 million VoD fans in the UK are indicating that they want to use Disney+ when it launches at the end of March. UK VoD users subscribe to an average of only two streaming services and want to spend no more than around £17 a month on them.
News categories: Goldmedia, VoD-Ratings, Dr. Florian Kerkau, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
52% of U.S. Smart Speaker owners are controlling TV with voice
Jan 27, 2020 – According to Strategy Analytics, 75 million people in the U.S. are now using a smart speaker, and more than half of them are using it to control their smart TV, video streamer or other TV device at least weekly. This means that 1 in 8 of all TV users are now using voice.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, USA, UX
TV sets still dominate video entertainment consumption
Jan 27, 2020 – Research from Parks Associates finds that TV sets still dominate home entertainment, accounting for over one-half of all video consumed by US broadband households each week. Consumers are also increasing the total amount of time spent watching video.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
MENA SVOD revenues to triple
Jan 27, 2020 – According to Digital TV Research, MENA SVOD revenues will reach $2.97 billion by 2025, tripling between 2019 and 2025. Turkey will grow to $908 million by 2025, with Saudi Arabia adding $563 million and Israel $470 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, OTT
'Swisscom TV X' combines Netflix and TV content
Jan 23, 2020 – Swisscom has announced that with its ‘Swisscom TV X’ service,it is one of the first to provide an interface that incorporates Netflix programming and TV content. The companies are also working closely together on further innovations.
News categories: Swisscom, Netflix, Dirk Wierzbitzki, Rene Rummel-Mergeryan, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Set Top Box, Switzerland, UX
- NCTC to offer discounted Amazon Fire TV devices to members
- Viu reaches 41.4 million monthly active users
- Roku ends 2019 with 36.9 million active accounts
- Online viewing continues to gain ground on traditional broadcast TV
- Vianeos provides revamped UX for Batelco TV in Bahrain
- VUALTO partners with ATEME for automated encoder integration
- STV selects Arqiva Hybrid TV Service for HD restart feature
- AfricaXP adds DTH capacity from Eutelsat for Sub-Saharan Africa
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 44k in 4Q 2019
- 'Tapering subscriber acquisitions' for Dish TV India in 4Q 2019
- Movistar Spain launches new voice remote control
- Irdeto confirmed as security partner for Mitele Plus
- Swedish streaming market saturating
- Tubi monthly active users grow to 25 million
- beIN SPORTS strikes partnership with XUMO TV
- Cinedigm’s Viewster app available on Foxxum-supporting devices
- Liberty extends Netflix partnership in Europe
- beIN SPORTS XTRA added to Samsung TV Plus
- Sinclair Broadcast joins Pearl TV broadcast business organization
- WISI ABR transcoding approved for Minerva YourTV Now cloud video