Digital TV News: S&P Global
U.S. traditional video subscribers down nearly 1.9 million in 3Q 2019
Nov 14, 2019 – Kagan, a TMT research group within S&P Global Market Intelligence, estimates that traditional multichannel subscribers in the U.S. fell by nearly 1.9 million in the three months ended Sept. 30, a 25% spike from the previous largest drop in the second quarter of 2019.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
U.S. virtual multichannel growth slows in 1Q 2019
May 24, 2019 – According to Kagan, virtual multichannel subscriber growth in the U.S. slowed in the first-quarter 2019, increasing 5.8% from the end of 2018. This compares to an 11.8% compound quarterly growth rate between fourth-quarter 2017 and fourth-quarter 2018.
News categories: S&P Global, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Mirada Iris launches at Digital TV Cable in Bolivia
Apr 2, 2019 – Mirada has announced the commercial launch of its Iris multiscreen solution under the previously announced contract with Bolivian operator Digital TV Cable Edmund. The launch will allow subscribers to watch live and on-demand content across all devices.
News categories: Mirada, Digital TV Cable Edmund, José Luis Vázquez, Edmund Daher, Apps, Bolivia, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware
Global multichannel market up 3.1% in 2018 as IPTV subscriptions overtake DTH
Feb 12, 2019 – In 2018, IPTV overtook direct-to-home (DTH) as the second-largest multichannel platform in the world by subscribers after cable TV, accounting for 23.4% of the total market of 1.07 billion households, according to Kagan.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Worldwide
Cord-cutting trend expected to nearly double broadband-only homes in U.S.
Jan 28, 2019 – Broadband homes without a traditional multichannel subscription are set to grow from 23.3 million in 2018 to 40.8 million by 2023, according to Kagan. Kagan expects the segment to account for nearly one-third of U.S. households in the next five years.
News categories: S&P Global Market Intelligence, Tony Lenoir, Broadband, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
U.S. 2018 TV and radio M&A deal volume highest since 2008
Jan 3, 2019 – According to Kagan, U.S. broadcast station mergers and acquisitions (M&A) volume reached $4.31 billion in the fourth quarter of 2018. 2018 closed with an $8.87 billion deal volume, representing an increase of 8% over 2017.
News categories: S&P Global, Digital TV, Market Research, MnA, USA
Demand for Netflix Originals set to overtake licensed titles in the U.S.
Dec 13, 2018 – Research by Parrot Analytics and Kagan shows support for one of Netflix's most important strategic goals. According to the report, demand for Netflix Originals is estimated to overtake the share of demand for licensed titles by October 2019.
News categories: S&P Global, Parrot Analytics, Deana Myers, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
U.S. multichannel sectors lost 1.2 million video subscribers in Q3
Nov 13, 2018 – Q3 results for U.S. multichannel video subscriptions cut short a brief wave of optimism for the sector, according to Kagan. Accelerating losses in satellite and weakening net adds from Sling TV and DirecTV Now drove the overall decline.
News categories: Kagan, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
North America and Asia most active mobile video markets
Sep 5, 2018 – The move to active mobile video offerings will grow as entertainment bundling with mobile services becomes a must, according to Kagan. North American and Asian markets lead the charge in a shift to active mobile video markets.
News categories: Kagan, John Fletcher, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, Worldwide
- Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
- Comscore research shows continuing surge in U.S. daytime TV viewing
- VideoAmp creates combined Smart TV and STB viewing dataset for the U.S.
- Roku OS 9.3 begins roll-out
- Italian local re-broadcaster RAS goes live with Synamedia virtualized DCM
- Altice Europe terminates discussions on acquisition of Partner Communications
- Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
- Comscore sees notable rise in U.S. streaming usage
- Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
- Singtel puts HOOQ into liquidation
- COVID-19 pandemic to reduce global TV brand shipments by 5.8% in 2020
- Six million viewers for Italy's tivùsat
- Wicket Labs adds $1.9m of extra funding
- NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1st
- TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
- Coronavirus expected to add 5% to global VOD subscriptions in 2020
- COVID-19 response to bolster cloud gaming revenues
- iQIYI to launch service experience Testing Stations across Asia
- Switch Media's server-side ad insertion integrated with SpringServe's ad platform
- Verimatrix VCAS pre-integrated with Broadcom's Android TV platform