Digital TV News: Sony Corp
Smart TVs may lose support after only two years, Which? finds
Jan 13, 2023 – Expensive, high-end smart products risk losing features and functionality or posing a security risk after as little as two years because manufacturers are failing to provide vital tech updates, Which? has found.
News categories: Which?, Rocio Concha, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, UK
Smart TV share in India’s TV market at record 89% in Q1 2022
Jun 7, 2022 – The Smart TV share in India's overall TV market grew 33% YoY in Q1 2022 to reach its highest ever at 89%, according to Counterpoint. Xiaomi led the smart TV market during the quarter with a 14.3% share, followed by Samsung at 13.1%.
News categories: Counterpoint, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Smart TV
Record YoY growth for India's Smart TV market in Q2
Sep 17, 2021 – India's TV shipments grew 46% YoY in Q2 2021, according to Counterpoint Research. The post-pandemic economic improvement, aided by active retail channels fulfilling the pent-up demand, was the key reason for the growth.
News categories: Counterpoint Research, Debasish Jana, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Smart TV
Amazon takes lead as connected TV device sales hit new peak
Mar 9, 2021 – Global sales of connected TV devices soared to a record in Q4 2020, reaching 109.1 million units, according to Strategy Analytics. Amazon became market leader for the first time with a market share of 12.1%.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Edouard Bouffenie, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, Worldwide
LG and Sony led OLED TV gains in advanced TV market in Q4
Mar 3, 2021 – While in recent years OLED TV has seen its share of the premium TV market deteriorate, OLED TVs and the brands that sell them regained much of that lost ground in the fourth quarter of 2020, according to DSCC.
News categories: DSCC, Bob O’Brien, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
LCD TV makers plan aggressive TV display purchasing for 2021
Oct 27, 2020 – According to Omdia, total LCD TV panel shipments are set to decline by 6% in 2021. However, the global top 15 TV brands want to grow their LCD TV shipments to new highs, up 9% YoY, if they are able to secure panel supply.
News categories: Omdia, Deborah Yang, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
EMEA Smart Home market expected to rebound in 2H 2020
Oct 12, 2020 – The smart home market in EMEA declined 7.2% in the second quarter of 2020, compared to the same period of the previous year, according to IDC. The market accounted for 20.287 million units between April and June.
News categories: IDC, Antonio Arantes, Jan Prenosil, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Smart Home
VR headset market expected to grow despite short-term decline
Sep 16, 2020 – As the world continues to deal with the pandemic, the market for virtual reality (VR) headsets is expected to decline 6.7% in 2020 before returning to double-digit growth of 46.2% in 2021, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Digital TV, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Global TV streaming device population reaches 1.1 billion
Sep 2, 2020 – The global population of TV and video streaming devices has now exceeded 1.1 billion, according to Strategy Analytics. The research finds that Samsung is the leading brand, followed by Sony, LG, Hisense, TCL and Amazon.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, Worldwide
- Market turbulence set to define media industry in 2023
- Huawei brings stc tv streaming to its users in the MENA region
- Sky rolls out Entertainment OS 1.1 update
- Comedy most pirated genre of entertainment
- Viaccess-Orca and Broadpeak achieve 3-second latency for live sports streaming
- Globecast powers distribution of 2022 World Cup for New World TV
- Ateme reduces latency to under four seconds for Cyta's OTT channels
- Digiturk deploys Irdeto 360 Video Security Services
- ThinkAnalytics unveils new customer wins
- Netgem to initiate sale of activities other than TV streaming
- Synamedia delivers low latency World Cup streaming for Cellcom
- NEXTGEN TV broadcasting begins in Boston
- SkyShowtime announces line-up ahead of launches in Central & Eastern Europe
- Global online video subscriptions to reach 1.7bn in 2023
- BARB launches API giving clients direct access to viewing data
- Roku makes deal with Warner Bros. Discovery for The Roku Channel
- Trinidad and Tobago selects ATSC 3.0 for DTT
- Faurecia-Aptoide and Catappult launch app distribution hub for cars
- 24i supports launch of Philips Hue Sync TV App
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution