Digital TV News: The Walt Disney Company
Disney+ rolls out in Europe
Mar 24, 2020 – Disney+ has launched in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland. The service will launch in France on April 7th. Audiences can stream Disney+ on nearly all major mobile and connected TV devices.
News categories: Disney+, Kevin Mayer, Apps, Austria, Digital TV, Games Console, Germany, Ireland, Italy, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Spain, Switzerland, Tablet, UK
Disney+ on UK Samsung Smart TVs from 24th March
Mar 19, 2020 – Samsung Electronics UK has confirmed that from March 24th Disney+ will be offered on its Smart TVs released from 2016 onwards, either available for download from the app store or directly preinstalled on select models.
News categories: Samsung, Disney+, Guy Kinnell, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, UK
Movistar to be launch partner for Disney+ in Spain
Mar 8, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company Iberia and Telefónica have announced that Movistar will be the strategic distributor for Disney+ launch in Spain. Adding Disney's new streaming service builds upon a long-standing relationship between the companies.
News categories: Telefónica, Disney, Emilio Gayo, Jan Koeppen, Digital TV, OTT, Spain
Disney+ amasses nearly 29 million paid subscribers since launch
Feb 4, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company has announced that Disney+ had amassed 28.6 million paid subscribers, as of Monday, February 3. The service launched on November 12, 2019. Paid subscriber numbers for ESPN+ and Hulu were 7.6 million and 30.7 million, respectively.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Bob Iger, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ brings forward EMEA launch date
Jan 21, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer & International segment has set March 24th as the new launch date for Disney+ in markets across Western Europe. Pricing has also been confirmed at £5.99/€6.99 per month, or £59.99/€69.99 for an annual subscription.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, OTT
Disney+ passes 10 million sign-ups since launching
Nov 13, 2019 – Disney+, the highly anticipated streaming service from The Walt Disney Company, has already reached a major milestone, achieving a remarkable 10 million sign-ups since launching.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, OTT, Subscribers, USA
Disney+ launches in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands
Nov 12, 2019 – Disney+, from The Walt Disney Company, is now live in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands, bringing together for the first time a lineup of content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and more.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, OTT, USA
Verizon to give customers 12 months of Disney+
Oct 22, 2019 – Verizon and The Walt Disney Company have announced an agreement that will offer all Verizon wireless unlimited customers, new Fios Home Internet and 5G Home Internet customers 12 months of Disney+. The agreement will provide another reason for customers to choose Verizon.
News categories: Verizon, The Walt Disney Company, Hans Vestberg, Kevin Mayer, Digital TV, OTT, USA
New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
Aug 19, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment has confirmed that Disney+ will launch in Canada and the Netherlands, in tandem with the U.S., on November 12 and in Australia and New Zealand on November 19.
News categories: Disney+, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, New Zealand, OTT, USA
- Contentos integrates Theta Network decentralized video delivery for COS.tv
- SeaChange selected by Midco to monetize video streaming service
- Apptopia and Braze release state of streaming industry report
- Edge Networks announces 'Evoca' ATSC 3.0 pay TV service
- Allegro DVT releases AL-D21x video decoder IP family with AV1 support
- Nielsen and Sinclair Broadcast announce multi-year renewal
- Verimatrix introduces DRM for video protection between devices
- Deltatre unveils SaaS platform for real-time, data-driven UX decisions
- Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
- Comscore research shows continuing surge in U.S. daytime TV viewing
- FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
- VideoAmp creates combined Smart TV and STB viewing dataset for the U.S.
- Roku OS 9.3 begins roll-out
- Italian local re-broadcaster RAS goes live with Synamedia virtualized DCM
- Altice Europe terminates discussions on acquisition of Partner Communications
- Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
- Velocix introduces CDN software for 5G video streaming
- Comscore sees notable rise in U.S. streaming usage
- Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
- Singtel puts HOOQ into liquidation