Digital TV News: The NPD Group
Watching movies and TV topped US entertainment options in 2018
Mar 25, 2019 – When it comes to entertaining themselves, most Americans choose to watch movies and TV, over listening to music, playing video games, and other forms of entertainment. In fact, 27% of all entertainment hours in 2018 were spent watching TV and movies, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Kathi Chandler-Payatt, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
15% of U.S. households have a DTC channel subscription
Mar 21, 2019 – Driven by the influx of new services, faster in-home broadband speeds, and TV-connected device adoption, Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) channel adoption rates grew three-fold over the last three years to reach 15%t of U.S. households, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
OTT TV market far from being saturated
Jan 16, 2019 – While there’s a limit to how many SVOD services users are ready to pay for, it is far from being reached, according to Ooyala. In fact, that limit may continue to rise, especially as younger consumers grow older.
News categories: Ooyala, Jim O'Neill, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Worldwide
Desire for bigger screens driving U.S. replacement TV buying
Dec 20, 2018 – According to NPD, 40% of U.S. consumers who replaced a TV over the last two years were most motivated by a desire to purchase a bigger screen. In fact, 40% of replacement TVs purchased had a screen size of 50+ inches.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Connected TV and streaming player adoption spurring digital video purchases and rentals
Oct 30, 2018 – According to The NPD Group, as of August 2018, 61 million households in the U.S. had at least one internet-connected TV, video game console, Blu-ray Disc player or streaming media player. As a result more consumers are choosing to rent and purchase digital movies.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Ricardo Solar, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
7% annual growth expected for connected TV devices in the U.S.
Sep 6, 2018 – In the U.S., at the end of 2017, 210 million devices were installed in consumer homes actively delivering internet connectivity to the TV screen, and by the end of 2021 there are forecast to be 275 million, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
U.S. voice-activated speaker sales to grow 50% by 2019
Aug 14, 2018 – According to The NPD Group, sales of voice-activated speakers will add an incremental $1.6 billion dollars to the U.S. technology industry through 2019, as these devices are leveraged both as an interface to smart home services and as digital assistants.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Big Data, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
Nearly one-fifth of U.S. video consumers are SVOD only
Aug 1, 2018 – While the majority of consumers in the United States view video content from a variety of sources - both physical and digital - the number of people using only Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and other SVOD services is on the rise.
News categories: NPD Group, Ricardo Solar, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Screen size and picture quality drive replacement TV purchases in U.S.
Jun 18, 2018 – According to NPD, increasing the size and picture quality are the top driving forces for U.S. consumers looking to update their televisions. Of the consumers who purchased a 4K/UHD replacement TV, 45% reported buying because they wanted a larger screen, 39% for better picture quality.
News categories: The NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
- MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in Canada
- SLING TV comes to VIZIO SmartCast platform
- VideoAI from CTS automates video content metadata generation
- Irdeto brings Server Side Ad Insertion solution to market
- Five million Brits spending full working day on streaming sites
- Breezeline launches cloud-based TV service
- ATSC 3.0 technologies selected for Brazil's TV 3.0 system
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
- Altice partners with Ampersand to sell addressable ad inventory
- Cgates goes live with Synamedia video network solutions
- Video Solutions AG launches AVOD channels with Amagi
- Netflix shows signs of slowing in the U.S.
- A-LIVE partners with Minerva to offer fans NFTs of music concert
- Pay TV revenues in the MENA region to decline by $1.5bn
- ViacomCBS migrates from satellite to IP content distribution with CommScope
- VIDAA selects Unruly SSP and ad server to provide inventory access
- NBCUniversal names iSpot.tv as first cross-platform Video Certified Measurement Partner
- GTPL Hathway finishes 2021 with 7.5 million digital CATV subscribers