Digital TV News: Walt Disney Company
Disney to purchase remaining stake in Hulu from Comcast
Nov 1, 2023 – Disney (NYSE: DIS) is to acquire the 33% stake in Hulu held by Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) following Comcast's exercise of its right under the put/call arrangement between the two companies.
News categories: Disney, Hulu, Comcast, Digital TV, MandA, Streaming, USA
Disney and Charter agree distribution deal for Disney linear and D2C services
Sep 11, 2023 – Disney (NYSE: DIS) and Charter (NASDAQ: CHTR) have announced a distribution agreement, allowing the restoration of most Disney networks and stations for Spectrum customers.
News categories: Disney, Charter, Robert A. Iger, Chris Winfrey, Cable TV, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
Brightcove launches ad monetization service for media companies
Mar 7, 2023 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV) has launched Brightcove Ad Monetization, enabling media companies to better monetize their live and VOD content with improved yield optimization.
News categories: Brightcove, Marc DeBevoise, David Beck, Michael Dorf, Advertising, Digital TV, Worldwide
Disney reports earnings for quarter ended December 31, 2022
Feb 8, 2023 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported earnings for its first quarter ended December 31, 2022. D2C revenues for the quarter increased 13% to $5.3 billion and operating loss increased $0.5 billion to $1.1 billion.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ now available via Ziggo
Dec 12, 2022 – VodafoneZiggo has announced that all films, series and documentaries from streaming service Disney+ are now available via Ziggo. Ziggo customers can find the Disney+ app in their Mediabox Next and Next Mini menus.
News categories: VodafoneZiggo, Disney, Robin Kroes, Bart Verhoeven, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Netherlands, Set Top Box
Ad-supported Disney+ now available in the U.S.
Dec 8, 2022 – Disney+ has made its ad-supported subscription offering available in the U.S. New subscription plans with ads across the Disney Bundle and Hulu + Live TV packages are also now available.
News categories: Disney, Disney Advertising, Michael Paull, Rita Ferro, Advertising, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
Disney adds 57 million D2C subscribers in year to October 1, 2022
Nov 8, 2022 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for the period ended October 1, 2022. Direct-to-Consumer revenues for the quarter increased 8% to $4.9 billion and operating loss increased $0.8 billion to $1.5 billion.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes
Aug 2, 2022 – Foxtel and Disney have announced an agreement to integrate the Disney+ app on the STBs of Foxtel subscribers, boosting Foxtel's streaming aggregation strategy and bringing together the world's best content all in one place.
News categories: Foxtel, Disney, Amanda Laing, Kylie Watson-Wheeler, Apps, Australia, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming
Disney+ now available on webOS LG TVs in more countries
Jun 14, 2022 – The Disney+ app is now available on LG TVs in over forty new countries and territories across Africa, Europe and the Middle East. More LG TV owners can now enjoy Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Star, as long as their TV runs webOS from 2017 or later.
News categories: LG Electronics, Disney Plus, Africa, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Smart TV, Streaming
- América Móvil increases shareholding in Telekom Austria
- Tele Columbus taps Simply.TV for advanced metadata
- AOMedia offers spatial audio specification under royalty-free license
- TheViewPoint integrates with FreeWheel
- Australia to introduce 'prominence framework' for local broadcast services
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification