Digital TV News: Brett Sappington
Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
Sep 17, 2019 – New research from Parks Associates finds that subscriptions, formerly representing just over half of total online video spending in 2012, now account for nearly 86% of all U.S. internet spending on TV and movies.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Conviva launches Content Insights
Sep 12, 2019 – Conviva has announced the launch of Conviva Content Insights. The industry now has a way to understand the consumption patterns of streaming viewers across time, locations, content, apps and devices.
News categories: Conviva, Bill Demas, Robert Jones, Christine Weber, David Baron, Nick Grimwood, Brett Sappington, Big Data, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
U.S. standalone pay TV ARPU declined 10% from 2016 to 2018
Aug 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that U.S. average standalone pay-TV ARPU declined 10% from 2016 to 2018, with consumer-reported monthly spending on pay TV declining from $84 to $76. Pricing pressure is forcing increasing conflict in carriage negotiations.
News categories: Parks Associates, Elizabeth Parks, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
Jul 16, 2019 – Parks Associates research forecasts that in 2019, U.S. OTT and pay-TV companies will see $9.1 billion in lost revenue due to piracy and account sharing. This number is expected to grow to $12.5 billion in 2024, a growth rate of 38%.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Potential U.S. broadband cord-cutters watch over six hours of mobile video per week
Jul 1, 2019 – According to Parks Associates, U.S. broadband households highly likely to cut the cord in the next 12 months watch more than six hours of video content on their mobile phone a week, compared to 2.5 hours among all U.S. broadband households.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Broadband, Market Research, Mobile, USA
Share of UK broadband households planning to cancel pay-TV has doubled
May 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that the percentage of UK broadband households stating that they are likely to cancel their pay-TV service has increased to 24% in late 2018 from 12% in late 2015. The intent to cancel is higher among households that watch online video services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Over half of US broadband households who trial SVOD become paying subscribers
Apr 3, 2019 – Parks Associates has found that 58% of US broadband households who trial an OTT video subscription service convert to paying subscribers. Conversion from free trial to paying subscriber is higher among consumers who trial multiple services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, NABShow, OTT, USA
586 million OTT video service subscriptions globally by 2024
Jan 23, 2019 – According to Parks Associates, OTT services will accelerate their global expansion over the next five years, with more than 310 million connected households having at least one OTT service by 2024.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Consumers far more likely to recommend online than traditional pay-TV services
Nov 28, 2018 – U.S. consumer data from Parks Associates finds that the average net promoter score (NPS) for traditional pay-TV providers in 3Q 2018 was -19. By comparison, the average NPS for the major online pay-TV and OTT video services was positive.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
- Czech Television completes transition to DVB-T2 with Synamedia
- Thomson Broadcast and Viaccess-Orca secure DTT deployment in Mali
- Irdeto, Amlogic and Skyworth launch Android TV hybrid STB reference design
- NAGRA and KAON introduce Android TV streaming solution for pay-TV operators
- NAGRA, SDMC and Amlogic offer Android TV solution for pay-TV operators
- TRAI issues consultation paper on STB interoperability implementation
- Beenius signs reseller agreement for Caribbean and LatAm markets
- BBC explores targeting of promotional content using Sky technology
- Disney+ expected to reach 101 million subscribers
- Looper Insights adds set-top box VOD store content visibility
- MediaTek 8K DTV SoC begins volume production at TSMC
- BC Partners-owned United Group acquires Vivacom
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers up 148,000 in 3Q 2019
- Wurl extends its Samsung TV Plus footprint to Europe
- Maxis launches PAYG passes for VOD streaming
- Liberty Latin America sells Cable & Wireless Seychelles
- U.S. pay TV household penetration down to 75%
- Extreme Reach and Verance partner on reporting for Addressable TV
- NBA TV becomes 1st league network to launch SVOD service
- Openview renews satellite TV content protection with NAGRA