Digital TV News: Consumer Technology Association
U.S. tech revenue to hit $487 billion in 2021
Jul 20, 2021 – According to the CTA, subscription video streaming services will see continued growth in demand in 2021. TV shipments will reach 45 million units, with NEXTGEN TV shipments up nearly sixfold to 2.1 million units.
News categories: CTA, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, Smartphone, USA, VR
CTA announces return to Las Vegas for CES 2022
Apr 29, 2021 – The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has announced that CES 2022 will return to Las Vegas next year. CTA will convene the tech industry in-person and digitally. CES heads back to Las Vegas Jan. 5-8, 2022.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, Karen Chupka, CES2022, COVID-19, Digital TV, USA, Worldwide
Eurofins announces NEXTGEN TV test suite for 2022 receivers
Apr 13, 2021 – Eurofins Digital Testing has announced the development of updated test suites for the Consumer Technology Association’s (CTA) NEXTGEN TV Logo program, which will be applicable to 2022 model receivers.
News categories: Eurofins Digital Testing, Brian Markwalter, Sam Matheny, ATSC 3, Digital TV, QoE, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
CTA and NCTA extend STB energy efficiency agreement to 2025
Apr 6, 2021 – The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) and NCTA have announced an extension through 2025 of the Voluntary Agreement for Ongoing Improvement to the Energy Efficiency of Set-Top Boxes.
News categories: NCTA, Consumer Technology Association, Neal Goldberg, Doug Johnson, Noah Horowitz, Jennifer Amann, Digital TV, Set Top Box, USA
Samsung TV Plus expands to 12 countries with over 740 channels
Dec 21, 2020 – Samsung has announced that Samsung TV Plus has now expanded to 12 countries and 742 channels worldwide, bringing access to over 60 million Samsung Smart TVs. Recent new countries include Australia and Brazil.
News categories: Samsung, Seline Sangsook Han, Apps, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, Italy, Korea, OTT, Smart TV, Spain, Switzerland, UK, USA
FCC seeks to expedite release of new devices and technologies
Dec 10, 2020 – The FCC has proposed enhancements to its rules to grant limited, early-stage flexibility to innovators to accelerate the deployment of consumer devices like cellphones, laptops, and Wi-Fi routers after FCC authorization.
News categories: FCC, CPE, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
CTA announces NEXTGEN TV test suite for 2021 model year TVs
Nov 2, 2020 – The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has announced the availability of its 2021 model year test suite for NEXTGEN TV. Manufacturers are required to meet the test suite requirements in order to use the NEXTGEN TV logo.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Brian Markwalter, Catrina Akers, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
CES 2021 moves to an all-digital experience
Jul 28, 2020 – The CTA has announced that CES 2021 will be an all-digital experience. The format will allow participants to hear from technology innovators, see cutting-edge technologies and the latest product launches, and engage with global brands and startups from around the world.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, CES2022, COVID-19, Digital TV, USA, Worldwide
FCC to vote on plan to clear the way for ATSC 3.0 internet services
May 18, 2020 – FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr has announced that the FCC will vote on his plan to promote the build out of Broadcast Internet services, enabled by ATSC 3.0 and delivered over an efficient one-to-many architecture.
News categories: FCC, Dennis Wharton, Jamie Susskind, ATSC 3, Broadband, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 399,000 in 2Q 2021
- Playstation 5 surpasses 10 million units sold
- 52% of U.S. consumers stop paying attention when ads come on the TV
- Tata Sky Binge delivers streaming app aggregation with ThinkAnalytics
- USSI Global to bring DOOH analytics to NEXTGEN TV broadcasters
- Altice USA reports video net losses of 48,000 for 2Q 2021
- Total Play video RGUs up 48% YoY in Q2 2021 to 1,933,880
- Gap between OTT and traditional pay TV continues to widen in the U.S.
- OTT to pull down pay TV revenues in China
- German pay TV and paid video surpasses €4 billion in 2020
- SERAPHIC upgrades TV browser with HbbTV 2.0.3 support
- Magnite to manage ad placement for Brazil's NetMovies
- Acxiom and Totalplay to provide addressable audiences in Mexico
- Undertone launches CTV ad solution for improved consumer engagement
- More than seventy 8K TVs now certified by the 8K Association
- Ocean Blue Software acquires Advanced Media Group from EKT
- DVB approves commercial requirements for DVB-I over 5G
- V-Nova raises €33 million in series C round
- AT&T premium TV down 473k; Vrio down 239k; HBO up 3.6M video subs in 2Q 2021
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 62,000 in 2Q 2021