Digital TV News: Daniel Simmons
Nokia debuts Virtualized User Experience Platform at IBC
Sep 13, 2017 – Nokia has expanded its Velocix portfolio with the debut of its Virtualized User Experience Platform (UXP). This innovative cloud platform untethers viewers from their set-top boxes (STB) and extends the viewing experience to all their devices.
News categories: Nokia, Paul Larbey, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IBC2022, Mobile, Worldwide
Apple now third largest global set-top box company
May 31, 2016 – Apple’s popular Apple TV devices have propelled the company into third-ranked position in 2015, based on revenue in the overall global set-top box market. The surge is courtesy of continued strong growth in consumer retail OTT boxes.
News categories: IHS, Daniel Simmons, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Pay TV STB market contracts for the first time in 12 years
Jun 29, 2015 – Pay TV operators purchased $15.3 billion worth of set-top boxes (STBs) in 2014, down from $15.9 billion in 2013. This decline represents the first contraction in the market since 2002, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Inc, Daniel Simmons, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Retail OTT set-top boxes set to overtake telco IPTV STB shipments
May 11, 2015 – Global shipments of over-the-top (OTT) set-top boxes (STBs) sold at retail -- including Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku boxes -- will overtake shipments of IPTV STBs used for pay TV services in 2015, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS, Daniel Simmons, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Streaming, Worldwide
Videocon d2h chooses Broadcom for HD Satellite DVR
Jul 21, 2014 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced that Videocon d2h has selected Broadcom's satellite set-top box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) to power their latest high definition USB digital video recorder (DVR)
News categories: Broadcom, Videocon d2h, Daniel Simmons, Anil Khera, Rajiv Kapur, Digital TV, DVR, India, Satellite, Semiconductor
Set-top box revenue posts best year ever in 2013
Jul 16, 2014 – Following a relatively flat three-year period, the global set-top box (STB) market managed to achieve the highest annual revenue total in its history in 2013, setting the stage for continued growth through 2015, according to IHS Technology (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Technology, Daniel Simmons, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Entropic unveils lineup of fully-integrated set-top box solutions
Jan 7, 2014 – Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR) has announced its first fully-integrated set-top box SoC family, the EN7300-series, which integrates HEVC decoding, MoCA 2.0 home networking, dual DVB-S/S2 demodulators with full-band capture, and 3D graphics acceleration.
News categories: Entropic, Daniel Simmons, Patrick Henry, Matt Rhodes, CES2023, Digital TV, DVB-S2, ICs, IPTV, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
Installed base of set-top box conditional access clients to pass 1 billion mark next year
Oct 25, 2013 – According to IHS (NYSE: IHS), the global installed base of conditional access (CA) clients in set-top boxes (STB) is expected to exceed 1 billion units for the first time in 2014 as growth is driven by expanding demand in emerging markets.
News categories: IHS, Daniel Simmons, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box
Shipments of connectable set-top boxes to nearly double by 2017
Oct 21, 2013 – The global market for connectable set-top boxes (STBs) is expected to surge by 91 percent from 2012 through 2017, driven by a number of factors including the adoption of multimedia home gateways (MHGs), according to IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Inc, Wajahat Abbassi, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gateway, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement
- 76% of SVOD services to introduce ads in the next two years
- Free, ad-supported streaming takes off in the U.S.
- NextGen TV begins broadcasting in Des Moines, IA
- PANTAFLIX to dispose of streaming technology subsidiary
- Harmonic powers live sports streaming for VertiCast
- Eurovision Sport selects Ad Insertion Platform monetization solution
- TV reception over the Internet continues to grow in Switzerland
- Ateme launches statmux for NextGen TV and streaming services
- Canela Media chooses Amagi for FAST content monetization
- SES in discussions regarding possible combination with Intelsat
- Comscore expands 48-hour television reporting
- TCCL deploys iWedia Android TV Custom Launcher
- LiveU joins AWS Partner Network
- 63% of rural Americans bundle internet and TV