Digital TV News: TELUS
Technicolor Android TV set-top box shipments top 10 million
Mar 30, 2021 – Technicolor has announced that deployment of its Android TV set-top boxes (STBs) has now passed 10 million units. Cable, telco and other pay TV operators around the world continue to rapidly deploy Android TV STBs.
News categories: Technicolor, Mounir Toutah, Android TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Rogers to acquire Shaw in $26 billion transaction
Mar 15, 2021 – Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications have reached an agreement for Rogers to acquire all of Shaw’s issued and outstanding Class A and Class B shares in a transaction valued at around $26 billion.
News categories: Rogers Communications, Shaw Communications, Joe Natale, Edward Rogers, Brad Shaw, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, MandA, Satellite
Velocix CDN powers multiscreen services at TELUS
Dec 21, 2020 – Velocix has announced that TELUS is using its CDN software to support its IP-based live and on-demand video services, including Optik TV, Pik TV, and Optik on the Go, as well as its video gaming and data services.
News categories: Velocix, TELUS, David Sharpley, Tom Linder, Canada, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, Streaming
TELUS launches dedicated hayu app on Optik TV
Jan 15, 2020 – NBCUniversal International (NBCUI) and TELUS have announced that hayu is available to all TELUS Optik TV customers in Western Canada. TELUS is the only carrier in Canada to offer customers a dedicated hayu app directly within the TV interface.
News categories: TELUS, NBCUniversal, hayu, Hendrik McDermott, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming
TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
Aug 15, 2019 – TELUS has launched TELUS Home Assistant, a Google Assistant-based platform that gives Optik TV customers the freedom to control their entertainment experience hands-free using voice commands, at no extra cost.
News categories: TELUS, Blair Miller, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UX
TELUS TV subscriber base up 17,000 in 1Q 2019
May 9, 2019 – TELUS has released results for the first quarter of 2019. In the quarter, the company added 17,000 TELUS TV customers to finish with a customer base of 1.1 million, up 11,000 year-on-year.
News categories: TELUS, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Results, Subscribers
Operators experiencing up to 100% YoY mobile video growth
Feb 26, 2019 – Research from Openwave Mobility has found that over the past five years, video on mobile networks has grown on average 50-60% year-on-year (YoY), while in many developing markets, the rate is more than twice this.
News categories: Openwave Mobility, Enea, Matt Halligan, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, MWC21, Streaming, Worldwide
2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
Dec 13, 2018 – Openwave Mobility has released its predictions for 2019. These predictions are based on some of the findings from the Mobile Video Industry Council - which includes Tier 1 mobile operators alongside key industry analysts.
News categories: Openwave Mobility, Mobile Video Industry Council, John Giere, Matt Halligan, Indranil Chatterjee, Aman Brar, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Worldwide
TELUS first in Canada with 24/7 linear 4K HDR channel
Aug 9, 2018 – TELUS has announced the debut of Travelxp 4K HDR, a global travel and lifestyle channel, marking the first time a network broadcasting 24/7 in 4K HDR is available in Canada.
News categories: TELUS, Blair Miller, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV
- Germany to overtake the UK by SVOD subscribers
- Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
- NEXTGEN TV launched on five local TV stations in St. Louis, MO
- Redbox signs distribution agreement with Vewd
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way
- Sofia Digital working on a central service list registry for DVB-I
- Sony Pictures Networks India and Zee Entertainment negotiating merger
- Roku's Shopify app enables small business TV ad campaigns
- Americans move from bingeing on TV to social media in 2021
- VideoElephant makes 150 linear video channels available for licensing
- Android TV in 25% of advanced set-top boxes