Digital TV News: Walt Disney Company
Disney+ adds 2.1 million subscribers in quarter to October 2
Nov 10, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for the period ended October 2, 2021. Disney ended the quarter with with 179 million total subscriptions across its DTC portfolio.
News categories: Walt Disney, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
Oct 19, 2021 – Disney+ and VIDAA have announced that Disney+ will be coming soon to VIDAA Smart OS-powered Hisense and Toshiba smart TVs with the latest firmware version. VIDAA Smart OS is a Linux-based open smart TV operating system.
News categories: VIDAA, Disney+, Hisense, Guy Edri, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
Disney+ comes to Panasonic TVs
Sep 17, 2021 – Panasonic has confirmed that Disney+ is now available on 4K Panasonic TVs, released from 2017 onwards, that feature its My Home Screen OS. On compatible TVs the Disney+ app icon will become visible in the Application view.
News categories: Panasonic, Disney+, Apps, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, New Zealand, Singapore, Smart TV, Streaming
116 million paid subscribers for Disney+ on July 3
Aug 12, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for its quarter ended July 3, 2021. Disney ended the quarter with a total of nearly 174 million subscriptions across its Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu direct-to-consumer services.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
47% of US broadband households subscribe to Prime Video
Jun 2, 2021 – Parks Associates research shows that 47% of US broadband households currently subscribe to Amazon Prime Video. The content rights deal between Amazon and the NFL will help increase the service’s uptake.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Disney+ ends 1Q 2021 with 103.6 million subscribers
May 13, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for its quarter ended April 3, 2021. Average monthly revenue per paid subscriber for Disney+ decreased YoY from $5.63 to $3.99 due to the launch of Disney+ Hotstar.
News categories: Walt Disney, Digital TV, India, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ global expansion built on AWS infrastructure
Apr 29, 2021 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has unveiled that The Walt Disney Company is using AWS for the global rollout of Disney+. Using AWS infrastructure, Disney+ has been able to rapidly expand to 59 countries across North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, The Walt Disney Company, Carla Stratfold, Joe Inzerillo, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
Comcast launches Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity
Mar 29, 2021 – Comcast and The Walt Disney Company have announced the start of the rollout of Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity. Disney+ and ESPN+ join a growing collection of streaming services available over the Internet on X1 and Flex.
News categories: Comcast, The Walt Disney Company, Rebecca Heap, Michael Paull, Apps, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming, USA
Disney+ passes 100 million subscriber milestone
Mar 9, 2021 – Disney+ has surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers in just 16 months. Since its U.S. launch in November 2019, Disney+ has added Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Latin America and Singapore.
News categories: Walt Disney, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
- MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in Canada
- SLING TV comes to VIZIO SmartCast platform
- VideoAI from CTS automates video content metadata generation
- Irdeto brings Server Side Ad Insertion solution to market
- Five million Brits spending full working day on streaming sites
- Breezeline launches cloud-based TV service
- ATSC 3.0 technologies selected for Brazil's TV 3.0 system
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
- Altice partners with Ampersand to sell addressable ad inventory
- Cgates goes live with Synamedia video network solutions
- Video Solutions AG launches AVOD channels with Amagi
- Netflix shows signs of slowing in the U.S.
- A-LIVE partners with Minerva to offer fans NFTs of music concert
- Pay TV revenues in the MENA region to decline by $1.5bn
- ViacomCBS migrates from satellite to IP content distribution with CommScope
- VIDAA selects Unruly SSP and ad server to provide inventory access
- NBCUniversal names iSpot.tv as first cross-platform Video Certified Measurement Partner
- GTPL Hathway finishes 2021 with 7.5 million digital CATV subscribers