Digital TV News: NBCUniversal
Disney and Comcast agree on Hulu's future governance and ownership
May 14, 2019 – Disney (NYSE: DIS) and Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced that Disney will assume full operational control of Hulu, effective immediately, in return for Disney and Comcast entering into a 'put/call' agreement regarding NBCUniversal’s 33% ownership interest in Hulu.
News categories: Comcast, Disney, Digital TV, MnA, OTT, USA
NBCUniversal launches ShoppableTV
May 6, 2019 – NBCUniversal has announced the launch of ShoppableTV. The shopping experience gives viewers the opportunity to purchase products within the organic environment of their favorite TV show.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Josh Feldman, Advertising, Apps, Digital TV, Mobile, USA
Sky adopts NBCUniversal's CFlight for ad measurement
May 1, 2019 – Sky and NBCUniversal have announced the global expansion of CFlight, with Sky adopting the metric across all of Sky Media’s content and platforms. CFlight captures live, on-demand and time-shifted commercial impressions on every viewing platform.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Sky, Kavita Vazirani, John Litster, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Europe, UK
FOX, NBCUniversal, and Viacom unveil OpenAP 2.0
Apr 25, 2019 – FOX, NBCUniversal, and Viacom have unveiled OpenAP 2.0, expanding the audience platform into a centralized video marketplace with workflow automation for national linear and long-form digital video, developed in collaboration with Accenture and FreeWheel.
News categories: Viacom, NBCUniversal, FOX, John Halley, Sean Moran, Krishan Bhatia, Linda Yaccarino, Meredith Brace, Marianne Gambelli, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
Build-out plans announced for Next-Gen TV in top 40 U.S. TV markets
Apr 8, 2019 – At the 2019 NAB Show, a broad coalition of broadcast television station groups announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020. The market-driven effort builds on the testing and rollouts that have already taken place.
News categories: Pearl TV, Anne Schelle, ATSC, Digital TV, NABShow, USA
Encoding.com to show broadcast and OTT Cloud media processing at NAB 2019
Apr 4, 2019 – Encoding.com will announce at this year's NAB Show support for Apple ProRes encoding, Dolby Vision HDR transcoding, Nielsen CPVOD watermarking and ultra-fast processing for large video files via its proprietary chunk parallel processing technology.
News categories: Encoding.com, Jeff Malkin, Jean-Christophe Morizur, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, Worldwide
NBCUniversal and Sky combine advanced advertising capabilities
Mar 18, 2019 – NBCUniversal and Sky have announced the expansion of AdSmart, unifying both companies' advanced advertising capabilities. The joint solutions bring together NBCUniversal's advanced targeting with Sky's addressable advertising tools.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Sky, Linda Yaccarino, Andrew Griffith, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Worldwide
U.S. media companies and VIZIO form addressable advertising consortium
Mar 12, 2019 – U.S. media and technology companies, in collaboration with smart TV company VIZIO, have announced the formation of a consortium dedicated to the development and deployment of a new, open standard for addressable advertising on connected TVs.
News categories: VIZIO, Project OAR, William Wang, Mike Dean, Jesse Redniss, Dave Clark, Jodie McAfee, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
New services to add $3.6bn to the US D2C video market by 2023
Feb 21, 2019 – New direct-to-consumer online video subscription services have the potential to add 53 million paying subscriptions to the U.S. market by 2023, effectively growing the total number of subscribers by 25%, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Dan Cryan, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
- ATBiS to manufacture Triveni Digital ATSC 3.0 broadcast gateway
- Sumitomo selects SiTune ISDB-S3 tuner for 4K/8K set-top box
- Synamedia and Triveni Digital partner for ATSC 3.0 video delivery
- Rohde & Schwarz supports 5G Broadcast trial in Brazil
- EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
- Globecast provides media operations for Orby TV
- Switch Media unveils fast-to-market OTT platform
- Allegro DVT acquires Amphion Semiconductor
- Australian SVOD poised to break billion-dollar AU$ barrier
- HEVC Advance adds JVCKenwood, NEC, Intellectual Discovery, and Korean Patent Investment as licensors
- TV Time acquires Mediamorph
- Apple TV App and Apple TV+ coming to the Roku platform
- Amobee launches fraud-free guarantee for Connected TV inventory
- GTPL Hathway digital pay TV subscribers up 150,000 in 3Q 2019
- ARK Multicasting and Microsoft partner for rural broadband and cloud services
- Phoenix Model Market adding 2nd NEXTGEN TV transmission site and SFN
- Melita grows TV subscriber base to more than 100,000
- Orange France Livebox 5 powered by SoftAtHome
- Viewers in Australia feel overwhelmed in streaming battleground
- IPTV subscriptions and ARPU to drive pay TV growth in Japan