Latin America Digital TV News
iKO Media Group successfully re-launches Kurdsat TV
Mar 12, 2019 – iKO Media Group has announced a re-launch of Kurdish television station Kurdsat. The station was re-launched in SD and HD on a global scale – in the US, Latin America, Middle East and Europe. In addition, iKO provided their OTT platform, iKOFLiX.
News categories: iKO Media, Kurdsat, David Treadway, Amanj Kamal, Asia, CABSAT, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, Middle-East, OTT
MediaKind integrates Netflix into Mediaroom at VIVO in Brazil
Mar 11, 2019 – MediaKind is collaborating with Telefônica Brasil to enhance the user experience for more than 350,000 VIVO Fibra subscribers through the integration of Netflix into the MediaKind Mediaroom platform’s interactive menu system.
News categories: MediaKind, Telefônica, Clayton Cruz, Apps, Brazil, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, NABShow, OTT
SVoD subscriptions in Mexico expected to grow 11% per year to 2022
Feb 27, 2019 – The Mexican video entertainment market saw steady 2% growth in 2018. However, this doesn’t fully reflect the structural changes in the wider video landscape, according to the latest report from Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Tristan Veale, Digital TV, Market Research, Mexico
Telefónica and Microsoft collaborate on AI for telcos
Feb 25, 2019 – Telefónica and Microsoft have announced a strategic partnership. The agreement will combine the power of Telefónica's networks, customer proposition and global reach with the Microsoft Azure AI platform to design services telcos will offer in the future.
News categories: Telefónica, Microsoft, José María Álvarez-Pallete, Satya Nadella, Europe, Latin America, MWC19, Smart Home, UX, Worldwide
Millicom acquires Telefónica’s operations in Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua
Feb 20, 2019 – Millicom has announced that it has entered into agreements with Telefónica to acquire the entire share capital of Telefónica Móviles Panamá, Telefónica de Costa Rica and Telefonía Celular de Nicaragua for a combined enterprise value of $1,650 million.
News categories: Millicom, Telefónica, Mauricio Ramos, Costa Rica, MnA, Nicaragua, Panama
TiVo announces metadata deal with Sky Mexico
Feb 20, 2019 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has announced that Sky Mexico is to use TiVo as the primary metadata provider for its next-generation platform. The agreement enables Sky Mexico to consolidate its metadata rather than relying on multiple vendors.
News categories: TiVo Corp, Sky Mexico, Karl Misling, Big Data, Central America, Digital TV, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Satellite
Brazil home video market on path to recovery
Feb 20, 2019 – Brazil’s video entertainment market faced a challenging 2018, with consumer spend down 6% to R$ 22.4 billion (US$ 5.5 billion), according to Futuresource Consulting. However, despite the decline, there are pockets of growth and a path to recovery ahead.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Tanzim Rahman, Brazil, Digital TV, Market Research
Smart speaker household access grows to 13% of internet users
Feb 20, 2019 – More than 13% of internet users surveyed across the Australia, Brazil, Canada, Germany, India, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States had access to a smart speaker in their households in November 2018 according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Fateha Begum, Maria Rua Aguete, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Germany, India, Japan, Market Research, MWC19, Smart Home, UK, USA
AT&T US down 658k; Vrio up 198k video subs in 4Q 2018
Jan 30, 2019 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported results for the fourth quarter of 2018. Total U.S. video subscribers declined by 658,000 in the quarter. For Vrio, subscriber net adds were 198,000 with gains in the South Region and Brazil.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, IPTV, Latin America, OTT, Results, Satellite, USA
- Involuntary cancellations a huge problem for the SVOD industry
- FPT launches Vietnam's first Android TV 9.0 smart device with SDMC
- NCC Media connects online to its TV advertising platform
- MediaKind to debut Universe portfolio at NAB Show 2019
- NBCUniversal and Sky combine advanced advertising capabilities
- Netflix surges beyond 11 million users in Australia
- Asia Pacific OTT to generate $48 billion
- Cinedigm to acquire Future Today
- Comark becomes Triveni Digital ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 re-seller for the U.S.
- NexPlayer and WeTek develop E2E OTT solution supporting Widevine DRM
- CANAL+ Myanmar deploys NAGRA’s Conax GO Live multiscreen OTT solution
- US esports ad revenues will grow 25% in 2019
- Funimation licenses TiVo's Search, Recommendations and Insight modules
- FTTH Council Europe updates FTTH/FTTB figures
- Eleven Sports launches new streaming service in Japan
- Rakuten TV to expand reach to more than 40 countries in 2019
- Bezeq plans migration of 'yes' from satellite to OTT
- TDG: Disney+ likely to be well received
- Saankhya Labs develops 5G Broadcast and Direct to Mobile TV technologies
- Benin signs up with SES for DTT distribution and DTH