Digital TV News: Safaricom
ShowMax launches mobile video in Kenya
Oct 5, 2016 – ShowMax has launched a two-tier service for watching TV and movies via the internet in Kenya. ShowMax Premium has a range of international and local content. ShowMax Select is a mobile-first product, paid for using M-PESA.
News categories: ShowMax, John Kotsaftis, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, OTT
Safaricom launches mobile broadband connected STB
May 8, 2015 – Safaricom (NSE: SCOM) has announced the launch of a hybrid set-top box that will enable subscribers to view TV content and share data connectivity. Known as ‘The BigBox’, the STB allows subscribers to use Safaricom's 3G and 4G data network to access content.
News categories: Safaricom, Bob Collymore, Broadband, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, Router, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Terrestrial
Kenya's Safaricom applies for digital broadcasting licence
Mar 5, 2015 – Kenyan telecoms operator, Safaricom, has applied for a digital broadcasting licence in order to be able to offer television along side its other broadband products. The company has also received approval to import set-top boxes for sale in the local market.
News categories: Safaricom, Digital TV, IPTV, Kenya, Regulation, Set Top Box
New initiative for mass market mobile TV devices
Dec 1, 2009 – Fifteen service providers and broadcast network operators have launched an initiative to unify their handset requirements in order to have DVB-H enabled devices available as soon as possible, preferably for the FIFA football world cup in Q2 2010.
News categories: bmcoforum, Digital TV, Mobile
DMTV enlarges commercial Mobile TV services in four African countries
Jun 23, 2009 – Nokia Siemens Networks is providing DMTV with a DVB-H solution in Ghana, Kenya, Namibia and Nigeria. The system will allow the operators to provide an enhanced TV viewing experience on multiple devices, including the latest Nokia phones.
News categories: Nokia Siemens Networks, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Mobile, Namibia, Nigeria
Safaricom, Nokia And DMTV Launch DVB-H in Kenya
Jun 15, 2009 – Following the signing of a partnership between Safaricom, Nokia (Helsinki:NOK1V; NYSE:NOK) and Digital Mobile TV (DMTV), Safaricom subscribers are able to enjoy 13 DStv Mobile channels on DVB-H capable Nokia phones.
News categories: Safaricom, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile
Kenya - DStv Launches Mobile TV with Safaricom
Apr 29, 2008 – Safaricom and DSTV have announced the launch of the first Kenyan commercial Mobile TV service, available only on selected handsets.
News categories: DStv, Safaricom, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months
- Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020
- SpotX expands Measurement and Attribution Suite
- Nordic video markets riding high
- WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
- Tru Optik offers cross-device OTT measurement for free