Digital TV News: iQIYI
IQIYI reaches content distribution agreement with Astro Malaysia
Jun 17, 2019 – iQIYI (NASDAQ: IQ) has announced that it has reached a content distribution agreement with Astro Malaysia. iQIYI will launch an iQIYI content channel under the partnership, bringing exciting and high-quality content to Malaysia through Astro's platform.
News categories: IQIYI, Astro, Yang Xianghua, Henry Tan, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT, Satellite
China's online video subscribers to surpass 300 million in 2019
Feb 11, 2019 – According to Entgroup, the number of paid subscribers to China's online video platforms will surpass 300 million during 2019. The figure for the end of 2018 was 230 million, a number that has grown at a compound growth rate of 119% over the past three years.
News categories: Entgroup, Liu Cuiping, China, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
Dec 13, 2018 – Androidmov Technology has unveiled its next generation IPTV desktop, which is now put into use, in Chengdu. It shows that the company's full-stack front-end desktop system, based on clouding design and a mixed structure of smart EPG+H5, is mature.
News categories: Androidmov, Dai Cong, Chen Yijun, China, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box, UX
iQIYI, Baidu and BGCTV launch Gehua Little Fruit Set Top Box
Sep 28, 2018 – iQIYI has announced the launch of the Gehua Little Fruit Set Top Box, developed in partnership with Baidu (NASDAQ: BIDU) and Beijing Gehua CATV Network (SSE: 600037). The AI-integrated TV box combines iQIYI's VOD content with BGCTV's cable TV services.
News categories: iQIYI, Baidu, Beijing Gehua CATV, Duan Youqiao, Ge Xingfei, Lu Dongtao, Cable TV, China, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
China’s TV programming industry now second only to the US
Aug 20, 2018 – China has overtaken the UK in the television programming industry, becoming the second-largest market in the world after the U.S., according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO). TV programming expenditures in China hit 73 billion yuan (US$10.9 billion) in 2017.
News categories: IHS Markit, Kia Ling Teoh, China, Digital TV, Market Research
Asia Pacific: 351 million SVOD subscribers by 2023
Jul 25, 2018 – According to Digital TV Research, three Chinese companies will top the Asia Pacific SVOD rankings by subscribers in 2023. Not expected to ever operate as standalone platforms in China, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video will take fourth and fifth places respectively.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, China, Digital TV, India, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Dolby shows industry adoption of audio technologies at CES2018
Jan 9, 2018 – At CES, Dolby (NYSE:DLB) is showcasing a broad portfolio of audiovisual experiences across a range of price points and devices, driving Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos adoption in more markets with leading global partners.
News categories: Dolby, Kevin Yeaman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
HTC Vive announces open VR platform and standalone headset
Nov 14, 2017 – HTC has announced VIVE WAVE, a VR open platform and toolset that will open up the path to easy mobile VR content development. HTC has also unveiled VIVE FOCUS, a standalone VR headset for the China market that is also based on the Vive Wave VR open platform.
News categories: HTC Vive, Qualcomm, Alvin Wang Graylin, Hugo Swart, China, Semiconductor, VR
Netflix expected to withdraw from Russia
Sep 11, 2017 – Netflix and Amazon Prime Video will boost the Eastern European SVOD sector considerably. According to Digital TV Research, Netflix will grow to 3.43 million subscribers by 2022 with Amazon Prime Video having 1.12 million subscribers at the same point.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, Russia, Subscribers
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018