Digital TV Business, Technology and Market Research News
Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
Aug 14, 2019 – Charter Communications (NASDAQ: CHTR) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) have agreed terms for the continued deliver of Disney content to Spectrum customers. The deal also covers Charter’s future distribution of Disney’s streaming services, including Hulu, ESPN+ and the upcoming Disney+.
News categories: Disney, Charter Communications, Sean Breen, Tom Montemagno, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
Aug 14, 2019 – Consolidated Communications (NASDAQ: CNSL) has announced the launch of TV service in its Ancram and Austerlitz, New York, service areas over its new Fiber-to-the-Premises 1 Gig network. The expansion is in addition to the Company’s recent launch of TV service in Ghent, New York.
News categories: Consolidated Communications, Rob Koester, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, USA
Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
Aug 14, 2019 – Comscore will be the measurement provider for Xandr's Addressable offering, inclusive of DIRECTV, Altice USA, and Frontier. The deal is designed to give advertisers reliable third-party measurement across the leading U.S. live linear addressable footprint.
News categories: Comscore, Xandr, Scott Worthem, Dan Rosenfeld, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
CBS and Viacom to combine
Aug 13, 2019 – CBS (NYSE: CBS.A, CBS) and Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB) have agreed to merge. The combined company, ViacomCBS, will be a global, multiplatform, premium content company, with the assets, capabilities and scale to be one of the most important content producers and providers in the world.
News categories: Viacom, CBS, Bob Bakish, Joe Ianniello, Shari Redstone, Digital TV, MnA, USA, Worldwide
U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
Aug 13, 2019 – Consumers saved approximately $1.6 billion in energy costs in 2018 alone as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers, energy efficiency advocates and the CTA and NCTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, NCTA, Natural Resources Defense Council, Doug Johnson, Neal Goldberg, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
Aug 13, 2019 – Edgeware has announced that Malta’s GO has deployed a solution that includes Edgeware’s CDN and Origin platforms, enabling it to deliver multi-screen services and provide viewers with a fully mobile and flexible TV-experience.
News categories: Edgeware, GO Malta, Johan Bolin, Chris Attard, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IBC2019, Malta, OTT
Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
Aug 12, 2019 – According to the Leichtman Research Group (LRG), the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 1,530,000 net video subscribers in 2Q 2019, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 420,000 subscribers in 2Q 2018.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
Aug 12, 2019 – Most of the more than 100 million smart speakers and video streaming devices installed in America’s homes are quite energy efficient, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has said in the first independent report on their electricity use.
News categories: NRDC, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, USA
Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
Aug 12, 2019 – Consolidated Communications (NASDAQ: CNSL) has introduced CCiTV, a 200-channel TV service that includes restart/replay TV, voice-activated remote control, HD with 4K compatibility and cloud-based DVR storage to enable viewing of content anytime, anywhere.
News categories: Consolidated Communications, Rob Koester, Cable TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, USA, UX
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS