Digital TV News: Astro
SVOD household penetration in Malaysia to reach 27% in 2025
Sep 24, 2021 – The household penetration of SVOD services in Malaysia is expected to increase from 12% in 2020 to about 27% in 2025, driven by considerable rise in the adoption of OTT video, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Kantipudi Pradeepthi, Digital TV, Malaysia, Market Research, Streaming
UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
Sep 22, 2021 – Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) (NASDAQ: UEIC) has begun providing voice-enabled remote controls to Astro for its Ultra set-top box. The remote is powered by UEI chip technology with BLE and unfrared control capability.
News categories: Universal Electronics, Astro, Kuldip Singh Johal, Shahrul Sultan, Digital TV, Malaysia, Satellite, Set Top Box, UX
Evergent subscription management for Astro's sooka OTT service
Sep 8, 2021 – Evergent has announced that Astro will use its customer management and monetization tools to support registration and subscription management for its new streaming service, sooka.
News categories: Evergent, Astro, sooka, Vijay Sajja, Euan Smith, Digital TV, Malaysia, Streaming
Astro launches STB for TV without a satellite dish
Jul 22, 2021 – Astro has launched its Ultra Plug & Play Box, offering customers international and local content without a satellite dish simply by connecting the box to the TV and internet. The box includes features such as Cloud Recording and Play from Start.
News categories: Astro, Azlin Arshad, Digital TV, IPTV, Malaysia, Set Top Box
Astro set-top boxes to include Netflix
Jun 24, 2021 – Thanks to a partnership between Astro and Netflix, Astro customers will soon be able to enjoy direct access to Netflix on their connected Ultra Boxes, and on connected Ulti Boxes in the coming months.
News categories: Astro, Netflix, Henry Tan, Tony Zameczkowski, Apps, Digital TV, Malaysia, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming
Premium video captures 10% of video streaming minutes in SE Asia
May 18, 2021 – Premium video platforms, led by Netflix, Viu, WeTV, iQIYI and Vidio, captured 10% of total video streaming minutes in Q1 2021, according to a study published by Media Partners Asia (MPA).
News categories: Media Partners Asia, Analyst Dhivya T, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming
Malaysia pay TV revenues to register sluggish growth
Jul 15, 2020 – The total pay-TV services revenue in Malaysia is forecast to grow at a sluggish pace from $1.07bn in 2019 to $1.08bn in 2024, supported by a steady rise in the adoption of DTH and IPTV services, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Deepa Dhingra, Digital TV, Malaysia, Market Research
Synamedia and AWS accelerate end-to-end cloud TV deployments
Jun 8, 2020 – Synamedia is collaborating with AWS to accelerate the adoption of cloud TV services. With the partnership, video service providers can combine Synamedia’s Infinite cloud TV platform and AWS's reliability and cloud elasticity.
News categories: Synamedia, AWS, Nick Thexton, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Egypt, Malaysia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Worldwide
Astro Malaysia makes Ultra Box available to IPTV customers
May 19, 2020 – Astro Malaysia has announced that its Ultra Box is now available to Astro IPTV customers on fibre. The Ultra experience includes 4K UHD, Cloud Recording and a new user interface that is seamless across device screens.
News categories: Astro, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, Malaysia, Set Top Box, UX
- Wurl offers global FAST channel distribution for content companies
- Accedo and Nreal bring streaming to lightweight AR glasses
- HBO up 1.9 million; Vrio down 178,000 video subs in 3Q 2021
- RTL Group and Amobee to form TechAlliance addressable TV JV
- Claro Box TV streaming in Colombia powered by Harmonic
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 68,000 in 3Q 2021
- Vodafone España provides real-time accurate EPG with Alpha Networks and MediaData TV
- Vewd and Mediatek bring entertainment to vehicle rear-seats
- Conviva expands into advertising audience measurement
- C Spire to acquire Troy Cablevision
- Software Freedom Conservancy sues Vizio for GPL violations
- Altibox Android TV service goes live with 3SS and Technicolor
- Sunrise UPC launches yallo TV in Switzerland
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
- Airtel launches Video Platform as a Service product