Digital TV News: CRTC
CRTC approves Rogers' acquisition of Shaw's broadcasting services
Mar 24, 2022 – The CRTC has approved Rogers' acquisition of Shaw's broadcasting services, subject to a number of conditions and modifications. The acquisition includes 16 cable services in Western Canada and a national satellite TV service.
News categories: CRTC, Rogers, Shaw, Ian Scott, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, MandA, Satellite
Canada's CRTC releases Communications Monitoring Report
Nov 8, 2017 – Canadians are increasingly turning to platforms and devices connected to the Internet for their video and audio content, according to the CRTC. Canadians aged 18-34 years old are leading the trend with 23% watching TV exclusively online.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Mobile, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Distributel acquires Canadian IPTV provider Zazeen
Nov 2, 2017 – Distributel Communications has announced that it has received CRTC approval to acquire 100% of Zazeen. Distributel was Canada's first major independent ISP to offer television services, which are now available across Ontario and Quebec.
News categories: Distributel, Zazeen, Matt Stein, Sandro Henriques, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, MandA
Rogers TV subscribers down 13,000 in 4Q 2016
Jan 26, 2017 – Rogers Communications has announced results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2016. Cable revenue increased marginally as internet revenue growth exceeded the decline in Television and Phone revenue.
News categories: Rogers Communications, Cable TV, Canada, Content Distribution, IPTV, Results, Smart Home, Subscribers
Canada pay TV industry announces STB efficiency agreement
Jan 17, 2017 – Canadian Pay TV service providers along with set-top box manufacturers have finalized a voluntary agreement committing themselves to improving the energy efficiency of set-top boxes.
News categories: CEEVA, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box
The CRTC wants Canadians to take back control of their TV services
Nov 21, 2016 – The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has set out best practices for TV service providers to ensure Canadians are offered real choice regarding their services and have information about their options.
News categories: CRTC, Jean-Pierre Blais, Canada, Digital TV, Regulation
CRTC releases report on the broadcasting sector in Canada
Oct 25, 2016 – Canada's CRTC has released a report that shows how the viewing and listening habits of Canadians are transforming the broadcasting industry. Canadians are consuming more audio and video content on digital media and over devices connected to the Internet.
News categories: CRTC, Jean-Pierre Blais, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers
Pay TV subscriptions continue to decline in Canada
Jul 12, 2016 – The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has released statistical and financial information on Canadian cable, IPTV and satellite companies for the year ending on August 31, 2015.
News categories: CRTC, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
TV packaging rules come into force in Canada
Mar 1, 2016 – Canadians can now subscribe to an affordable basic television package that costs no more than $25 per month. They will also have the option of supplementing this package with additional channels, either individually or in bundles of up to 10 channels.
News categories: CRTC, Jean Pierre Blais, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Regulation, Satellite
- Astro Malaysia goes live with Synamedia engagement analytics
- Nielsen enables 'Always On' YouTube ad measurement
- Xperi completes spin-off to become independent public company
- Digicel launches OTT and IPTV services in the Caribbean with mediaClass
- Vodafone Portugal to acquire Nowo
- Eurofins divests Digital Testing business
- Smart Home device growth slows along with global economy, says IDC
- U.S. streamers now only spend 1 in 3 hours using traditional platforms
- ContentBay launches, bringing content licensing into the digital era
- Qualcomm and Rohde & Schwarz unveil 5G Broadcast system at IMC22
- BIA/Madhive report examines growth in US OTT ad spending
- Roku enabled for four-screen measurement in Nielsen Total Ad Ratings
- Online video advertising to generate three times more revenue than SVOD in 2027
- FreeWheel and Comscore launch Connected TV contextual targeting
- Set-top box market contraction will stabilize post-2024
- Red Bee, Nowtilus and Equativ launch FAST channels on LG Smart TVs with High View
- Pixalate releases H1 2022 CTV ad supply chain trends report
- Amazon upgrades Fire TV Cube and Alexa Voice Remote
- Metaverse device installed base to reach 100 million in 2024
- Smart speaker shipments exceeded 33 million in 2Q 2022