Digital TV News: DIRECTV
AT&T sells Xandr to Microsoft
Dec 21, 2021 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has agreed to sell Xandr to Microsoft. The agreement builds on a decade-long relationship between Xandr, including its predecessor companies, and Microsoft for delivering global digital media solutions for advertisers.
News categories: Xandr, Microsoft, Mike Welch, Mikhail Parakhin, Advertising, Digital TV, MandA, USA, Worldwide
Kinetic offers DIRECTV STREAM
Dec 15, 2021 – Kinetic has announced that it is expanding its relationship with DIRECTV to now include DIRECTV STREAM. Kinetic broadband customers can watch local, national and premium channels anytime, anywhere on their phone, tablet or television.
News categories: Kinetic, DIRECTV, Mark Lederman, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost around 650,000 subscribers in 3Q 2021
Nov 18, 2021 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. – representing about 93% of the market – lost about 650,000 net video subscribers in 3Q 2021, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 90,000 in 3Q 2020.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
Grupo Werthein takes ownership of Vrio
Nov 15, 2021 – With the completion of acquisition closing procedures, Grupo Werthein has taken ownership of 100% of the equity of Vrio. Vrio offers live content and OnDemand services through DIRECTV Latin America, SKY Brazil and DIRECTV GO.
News categories: Grupo Werthein, Vrio, Caribbean, Digital TV, Latin America, MandA, Satellite, Streaming
DIRECTV Latin America deploys Irdeto App Watch
Nov 3, 2021 – Irdeto App Watch will help DIRECTV Latin America retain control over the open app store environment, providing tools to combat content piracy and protect customers from malicious applications and potential cyberattacks.
News categories: Irdeto, DIRECTV Latin America, Shane McCarthy, Carlos Pontual, Android TV, Apps, Content Protection, Digital TV, Latin America
20 million DTC subscribers for Discovery at end 3Q 2021
Nov 3, 2021 – Discovery (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) has reported results for the quarter ended September 30, 2021. The company ended Q3 with 20 million DTC subscribers, up 3 million versus the end of Q2.
News categories: Discovery, Inc, David Zaslav, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Città Telecom selects SmartLabs for OTT provision
Sep 15, 2021 – SmartLabs has announced that it has been chosen by Brazilian ISP Città Telecom for OTT provision and mobile applications. The solution will be used by the company's set top box customers and mobile users.
News categories: SmartLabs, Città Telecom, Eduardo Campos, Brazil, Digital TV, Streaming
U.S. STB initiative saves consumers $2 billion in energy costs
Aug 23, 2021 – An agreement between the pay TV industry and energy efficiency advocates, led by the CTA, NCTA and CableLabs, has cut energy usage of STBs by more than half in the U.S., since it was established eight years ago.
News categories: NCTA, Consumer Technology Association, Neal Goldberg, Doug Johnson, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~1,230,000 subscribers in 2Q 2021
Aug 17, 2021 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 1,230,000 net video subscribers in 2Q 2021, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 1,505,000 in 2Q 2020.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Broadband, Cable TV, Digital TV, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
- Evoca expands to Denver with Altitude Sports
- European Parliament agrees Digital Services Act (DSA) proposal
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 25.1% in 2021
- MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in Canada
- SLING TV comes to VIZIO SmartCast platform
- VideoAI from CTS automates video content metadata generation
- Irdeto brings Server Side Ad Insertion solution to market
- Five million Brits spending full working day on streaming sites
- Breezeline launches cloud-based TV service
- ATSC 3.0 technologies selected for Brazil's TV 3.0 system
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
- Altice partners with Ampersand to sell addressable ad inventory
- Cgates goes live with Synamedia video network solutions
- Video Solutions AG launches AVOD channels with Amagi
- Netflix shows signs of slowing in the U.S.
- A-LIVE partners with Minerva to offer fans NFTs of music concert
- Pay TV revenues in the MENA region to decline by $1.5bn
- ViacomCBS migrates from satellite to IP content distribution with CommScope