Digital TV News: Econet Media
Kwesé iflix launches in Zimbabwe
May 31, 2018 – Kwesé iflix has launched an entertainment platform that will bring live coverage of all 64 FIFA 2018 World Cup games, and thousands of premier entertainment programmes, to millions of Zimbabweans via its new mobile app.
News categories: Kwesé, iflix, Econet Wireless, Kwesé iflix, Joseph Hundah, Mark Britt, Douglas Mboweni, Apps, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, Zimbabwe
Kwesé brings OTT to Africa thanks to tucano back-end
Apr 5, 2018 – Alpha Networks has announced the launch of two products by Kwesé for the African market. Kwesé Play is the first Roku video solution launched by any operator in African territory. Kwesé TV is a new OTT user experience offered to existing DTH users.
News categories: Alpha Networks, Econet Media, Kris Warreyn, Joseph Hundah, Africa, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box
Mediaproxy provides compliance, monitoring and analysis for Kwesé TV
Oct 9, 2017 – Mediaproxy has announced that Econet Media has chosen its unified broadcast compliance, monitoring and analysis solution for Kwesé TV. Mediaproxy software is enabling Kwesé TV to ensure delivery of its pay-TV service to consumers in Ghana, Rwanda, Zambia, and Kenya.
News categories: Mediaproxy, Econet Media, Mark Horchler, David Alpert, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, QoE, Rwanda, Satellite, Zambia
Kwesé unveils the first ‘pay-as-you-watch’ TV bouquet in Kenya
Oct 5, 2017 – Econet Media has unveiled its satellite bouquet Kwesé TV in Kenya. Kwesé TV is currently available both in urban centres and rural areas throughout the country and includes a free 30 day subscription for new subscribers.
News categories: Kwesé, Kennedy Ojung’a, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite
Pay TV market in Africa at 23.7 million subscribers
Oct 4, 2017 – Dataxis’ latest research sheds light on the steady expansion of the Pay TV market in Africa. Based on data for the second quarter of 2017, the total number of Pay TV subscribers reached approximately 23.7 million.
News categories: Dataxis, Africa, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Roku powers Kwesé Play streaming platform in Africa
Sep 14, 2017 – Roku and Econet Media have announced that the companies have entered a Roku Powered license agreement for the launch of streaming TV service Kwesé Play. The Kwesé Play service and streaming player are now available in South Africa.
News categories: Roku, Econet Media, Andrew Ferrone, Joseph Hundah, Apps, Digital TV, IBC, OTT, Set Top Box, South Africa
iflix and Econet Media collaborate to bring SVoD to sub-Saharan Africa
Aug 2, 2017 – iflix and Econet Media’s Kwesé have announced the establishment of a partnership to bring streaming entertainment services to sub-Saharan Africa. The collaboration will leverage the region’s rapid increase in smartphone penetration and growing consumer demand for premium quality entertainment.
News categories: Kwesé, iflix, Joseph Hundah, Andre de Wet, Africa, Digital TV, OTT, Smartphone
Africa Pay TV revenue to reach $6 billion in 2021
Mar 13, 2017 – According to the latest data from Dataxis for the year ending 2016, Africa Pay TV subscribers stood at approximately 18.7 million representing an increase of approximately 2 million subscribers compared to the previous year.
News categories: Dataxis, Pascal Orhan, Africa, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
EBS to supply EPG data for Africa's Kwesé TV
Feb 7, 2017 – EBS has announced that it has added Econet Media’s Kwesé TV platform to its portfolio of clients. The partnership enables Kwesé TV to deliver enriched metadata and images for every programme via EBS’ EPG and metadata management application.
News categories: EBS, Econet, Keith Bedford, Joseph Hundah, Africa, Big Data, Digital TV, Ghana, Rwanda, Satellite, Zambia
- Globecast, Viaccess-Orca and MainStreaming announce end-to-end OTT platform
- Mola chooses Broadpeak CDN for live sports streaming in Indonesia
- NEXTGEN TV Broadcast Collaborative to bring ATSC 3.0 to Washington D.C.
- DataMiner manages ARD's Euro 2020 live OTT broadcasts
- Freecaster secures Live and VOD content with BuyDRM
- Conviva publishes first State of Streaming Advertising report
- TiVo signs MobiTV agreement with the NCTC
- KBS selects ATEME broadcast encoders
- Amino working with PCCW Media to renew Now TV UX
- Zappware-powered A1 Xplore TV comes to Fire TV sticks
- SES renews Comcast Technology Solutions distribution agreement
- Riivi chooses Norigin Media for Smart TV app testing
- NexStreaming releases NexPlayer for Nintendo Switch
- Elliptic Labs to trial presence detection and gestures for Smart TV
- Carbon Trust releases white paper on CO2 impact of streaming
- ZEE5 to launch in the U.S. on June 22
- Piracy still a major challenge in the Nordics
- Vewd offers ATSC 3.0 integration options
- Broadpeak's CDN and Multicast ABR power Megacable's Xview+
- TEGNA selects TVSquared for ad measurement and attribution