Digital TV News: John Stankey
WarnerMedia and Discovery combine entertainment assets in standalone company
May 17, 2021 – AT&T (NYSE:T) and Discovery (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) have agreed to combine WarnerMedia's entertainment, sports and news assets with Discovery's non-fiction and international entertainment and sports businesses to create a standalone global entertainment company.
News categories: AT&T, Discovery, Inc, John Stankey, David Zaslav, Digital TV, MandA, OTT, USA, Worldwide
New AT&T, TPG entity to take over AT&T’s U.S. video business
Feb 25, 2021 – AT&T (NYSE: T) and TPG Capital have announced that they are to establish a new company named DIRECTV that will own and operate AT&T’s U.S. video business unit consisting of the DIRECTV, AT&T TV and U-verse video services.
News categories: AT&T, TPG Capital, Bill Morrow, John Stankey, David Trujillo, John Flynn, Digital TV, IPTV, MandA, Satellite, USA
HBO Max at 4.1M; AT&T U.S. down 954k; Vrio down 2.5M video subs in 2Q 2020
Jul 23, 2020 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported results for Q2 2020. HBO Max had 4.1 million subscribers after 1 month of operation.For the quarter, U.S. video subscribers were down 854,000, and Vrio subscribers were down 312,000 excluding the closure of DIRECTV Venezuela.
News categories: AT&T, John Stankey, Digital TV, IPTV, Latin America, OTT, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
WarnerMedia unveils HBO Max
Oct 30, 2019 – WarnerMedia has unveiled details about its HBO Max direct-to-consumer strategy, revealing a comprehensive offering of programming options for every audience, product features and functionality, and its go-to-market plans.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, AT&T, Robert Greenblatt, Ann Sarnoff, Kevin Reilly, John Stankey, Tony Goncalves, Digital TV, OTT, USA
WarnerMedia launches content innovation lab
Jan 22, 2019 – WarnerMedia has announced plans to launch the WarnerMedia Innovation Lab, an incubator that will combine emerging technologies with content from across its operating units to create new and innovative consumer experiences and businesses.
News categories: WarnerMedia, John Stankey, Jesse Redniss, 5G, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Smart Home, USA, VR
WarnerMedia announces plans for direct-to-consumer streaming service
Oct 10, 2018 – WarnerMedia has issued a statement announcing plans for a direct-to-consumer streaming service. The service will launch in the fourth quarter of 2019. The product will serve as a complement to WarnerMedia's existing businesses.
News categories: WarnerMedia, John Stankey, Digital TV, OTT, USA, Worldwide
AT&T completes acquisition of Time Warner Inc.
Jun 15, 2018 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has completed its acquisition of Time Warner, bringing together global media and entertainment leaders Warner Bros., HBO and Turner with AT&T’s leadership in technology and its video, mobile and broadband customer relationships.
News categories: AT&T, Time Warner, Randall Stephenson, John Donovan, John Stankey, Jeff Bewkes, Lori Lee, Brian Lesser, Digital TV, MandA, USA, Worldwide
AT&T offers 3 ways to stream video
Nov 28, 2016 – AT&T has begun offering 3 video streaming services – DIRECTV NOW, FreeVIEW and Fullscreen, delivering video over a technology platform that will have multiple product capabilities.
News categories: AT&T, John Stankey, Apps, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, USA
Fullscreen to launch SVOD service on April 26
Mar 30, 2016 – Fullscreen has announced plans to launch an ad-free SVOD service. Debuting internationally on April 26, the eponymous service fullscreen will include feature films, scripted and unscripted acquisitions and originals, as well as exclusive content.
News categories: Fullscreen, AT&T, George Strompolos, John Stankey, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, USA, Worldwide
- TCL launches Roku TV models in the UK
- OTTera powers gTV by Ubisoft channel on Samsung TV Plus
- Globecast, Viaccess-Orca and MainStreaming announce end-to-end OTT platform
- Mola chooses Broadpeak CDN for live sports streaming in Indonesia
- NEXTGEN TV Broadcast Collaborative to bring ATSC 3.0 to Washington D.C.
- Ericsson publishes 2021 Mobility Report
- DataMiner manages ARD's Euro 2020 live OTT broadcasts
- Freecaster secures Live and VOD content with BuyDRM
- Conviva publishes first State of Streaming Advertising report
- TiVo signs MobiTV agreement with the NCTC
- KBS selects ATEME broadcast encoders
- Amino working with PCCW Media to renew Now TV UX
- Zappware-powered A1 Xplore TV comes to Fire TV sticks
- SES renews Comcast Technology Solutions distribution agreement
- Riivi chooses Norigin Media for Smart TV app testing
- NexStreaming releases NexPlayer for Nintendo Switch
- Elliptic Labs to trial presence detection and gestures for Smart TV
- Carbon Trust releases white paper on CO2 impact of streaming
- ZEE5 to launch in the U.S. on June 22
- Piracy still a major challenge in the Nordics