Digital TV News: Project Canvas
U.K. and French Broadcasters Take the Lead in European OTT Video Market
May 25, 2011 – An analysis of Europe's largest over-the-top (OTT) video markets by SNL Kagan finds the U.K. and France leading Europe's emerging OTT deployments, invigorating both free and pay-TV competitive dynamics from which new business models are emerging.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Digital TV, France, Germany, Italy, Market Research, Spain, Streaming, UK
YouView updates launch schedule
Feb 9, 2011 – YouView, the subscription-free internet-connected TV service for the UK, has announced that it will have a product in trial by the end of this year, with a full consumer launch planned in early 2012.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Streaming, Terrestrial, UK
Over the Top (OTT) Video Is Slowly Making Its Way to Set-top Boxes
Nov 24, 2010 – According to ABI Research, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) set-top box shipments surpassed MPEG-2-only set-top box shipments for the first time in 2010. Despite the support for advanced encoding, pay-TV operators worldwide have been slow to support interactive features.
News categories: ABI Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, DVR, Gateway, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, Terrestrial
No Ofcom investigation into Project Canvas
Oct 19, 2010 – Ofcom has announced that it will not open an investigation into 'Project Canvas' under the Competition Act following complaints made by Virgin Media (NASDAQ:VMED, LSE:VMED) and IPVision.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, DVR, IPTV, Middleware, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Streaming, UK
Hybrid Web-to-TV Set Top Boxes Enable Operators and Broadcasters for Internet Video Battleground
Sep 29, 2010 – With an Internet Protocol (IP) link coming in to nearly every possible consumer electronics device with a screen, hybrid Web-to-TV set top boxes (STB) will be vital tools that enable broadcasters and operators to compete, says In-Stat.
News categories: In-Stat, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, Terrestrial
UK's Project Canvas becomes YouView
Sep 16, 2010 – YouView has been revealed as the brand that will bring a new free-to-air internet-connected TV service to UK homes next year. The seven partners behind Project Canvas have announced the formation of YouView TV Ltd.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, DVR, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Streaming, UK
DTG unveils 'one stop shop' for Connected TV, HbbTV, Freeview and Freesat Test and Conformance at IBC 2010
Sep 11, 2010 – The Digital TV Group (DTG) has announced that DTG Testing is to provide manufacturers with a single facility for Connected TV, HbbTV, Freeview, Freesat and Digital Tick test and conformance, with Project Canvas support in development.
News categories: Digital TV Group, HbbTV, IBC2022, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, Terrestrial, UK
Platforms set to trump devices in the connected home
Sep 9, 2010 – According to new research from Informa Telecoms & Media, platforms that aggregate services rather than any individual device will play the most important role in the connected home in the next 5 years.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, HbbTV, Market Research, Middleware, Smart Home, Streaming
Project Canvas partners further engage with device manufacturers
Aug 11, 2010 – The Project Canvas partners have formally invited expressions of interest from consumer equipment manufacturers to develop and bring Canvas devices to market in 2011.
News categories: Project Canvas, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, Streaming, UK
- Atmosic SoC approved for Google Android TV remote controls
- Bell Media unveils new and expanded ad solutions
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution
- Spectrum Reach taps Beachfront for programmatic monetization of convergent TV
- Netgem enables multiscreen TV for ZEOP with new UI on Android TV
- KCGM deploys Amagi SaaS offering to distribute anime channel in India
- Leading industry players join IAB Tech Lab advertising standards group
- DingoTV streaming service adds gamification with Edge Video
- Foxxum partners with OTTera to expand app portfolio
- Taiwan Mobile selects Broadpeak for live video streaming to mobiles
- TV Globo affiliate EPTV turns to MediaKind for IP video edge upgrade
- tvOS 17 brings FaceTime and video conferencing to Apple TV 4K
- VIDAA to bring Paramount+ to viewers in Canada and Latin America
- AR/VR headset shipments slowed in Q1 2023
- Introducing Apple Vision Pro: Apple’s first spatial computer
- 49% of U.S. adults watch video via a CTV device daily
- FAST revenues in Eastern Europe set to reach $42m by 2028