Digital TV News: YouTube TV
HBO Max launched in the U.S.
May 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia’s streaming platform, HBO Max, has officially launched. The launch is the culmination of efforts to bring the best of WarnerMedia together to launch the new offering, following AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Bob Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
May 20, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that the latest companies to sign on to distribute HBO Max at launch include Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rich Warren, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Games Console, IPTV, OTT, USA
U.S. sees largest first quarter multichannel subscriptions decline to-date
May 15, 2020 – According to Kagan, initial speculation that TV-hungry, isolated viewers would at least temporarily stem cord cutting in the U.S. was dispelled with the industry's largest first quarter decline for traditional multichannel subscriptions.
News categories: S&P Global, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost about 2,065,000 subscribers in 1Q 2020
May 14, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 2,065,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2020, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 1,025,000 subscribers in 1Q 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
ViacomCBS expands YouTube TV distribution agreement
May 7, 2020 – ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIACA, VIAC) and Google have announced a distribution agreement to deliver more content from ViacomCBS’ portfolio of news, entertainment and sports networks for YouTube TV subscribers.
News categories: ViacomCBS, YouTube TV, Ray Hopkins, Lori Conkling, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, USA
HBO Max to be available on Apple devices at launch
Apr 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that HBO Max will be available on Apple devices when it debuts on May 27, 2020. At launch, customers will be able to access HBO Max on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.
News categories: WarnerMedia, Apple, Rich Warren, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
76% of US broadband households subscribe to an OTT service
Apr 27, 2020 – According to Parks Associates, 76% of US broadband households subscribe to an OTT service, and adoption of online pay-TV services such as YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, and Sling TV is now at 12% of US broadband households.
News categories: Parks Associates, Reelgood, Steve Nason, Catharine Burhenne, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
US: 44% with a vMVPD switched from a traditional pay TV service
Apr 3, 2020 – The Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that, of U.S. households that currently have a live streaming vMVPD pay-TV service, 44% switched directly from a traditional pay-TV service, and 26% also have a traditional service.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
WOW! launches WOW! tv+ in Columbus, Ohio
Mar 3, 2020 – WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone (NYSE: WOW) has introduced WOW! tv+ in Columbus, Ohio. The Android TV-based platform delivers on customer expectations with live channel packages, cloud DVR, and access to an on demand library.
News categories: WOW!, Teresa Elder, Android TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, USA
- Evolution Digital launches Android TV device management platform
- Zixi powers 4K UHD Bloomberg TV+ service
- Telekom Malaysia selects Skyworth as 4K Android TV Operator Tier partner
- FourthWall Media adds Neilsen Smart TV ACR data to analytics platform
- TDS Telecom rolls-out IP video and Cloud DVR with Velocix
- A1now selects Vionlabs for AI-powered recommendations
- Global AVOD expenditure to double
- Gem Shopping Network to use Comscore TV measurement
- United Group makes strategic investment in Forthnet
- Disney+ and Apple TV+ both see success during first six months in the market
- Comcast, Charter and ViacomCBS announce Blockgraph partnership
- Britbox app now available on BT TV set-top boxes
- Conviva partners with Akamai on QoE intelligence
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Bouygues Telecom replaces set-top box with Smart TV app
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Cable-Tec Expo unable to go ahead
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers