Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
31% of U.S. adults watch video via a connected TV device daily
May 31, 2019 – Research from Leichtman Research Group (LRG) finds that 74% of U.S. TV households have at least one Internet-connected TV device, including connected Smart TVs, stand-alone streaming devices, connected video game systems, and/or connected Blu-ray players.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Pay TV and SVOD in Europe on the up, TV viewing and Blu-ray slump
Nov 22, 2018 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published its Yearbook 2018/2019 on line service. The database provides comparative European data on film, television, on-demand and physical video in 41 countries.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT
ACCESS browser selected for Panasonic Blu-ray recorder with 4K satellite
Sep 20, 2018 – ACCESS CO. has announced that its NetFront Browser BE v2 DTV Profile has been selected by Panasonic for its DIGA Blu-ray disc recorder with built-in 4K tuner (DMR-SUZ2060), to be released on the Japanese market.
News categories: ACCESS CO, Panasonic, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Japan, Middleware, Satellite, Set Top Box
7% annual growth expected for connected TV devices in the U.S.
Sep 6, 2018 – In the U.S., at the end of 2017, 210 million devices were installed in consumer homes actively delivering internet connectivity to the TV screen, and by the end of 2021 there are forecast to be 275 million, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Global connected TV device installed base passes one billion unit mark
Aug 13, 2018 – According to Strategy Analytics, more than one billion Connected TV devices are now in use worldwide. Smart TVs have been consistently gaining share in the market and now stand at nearly 60% of the total installed base of devices.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Over 40% of U.S. streaming media player owners use their device daily or almost daily
Jul 24, 2018 – Parks Associates has announced research showing streaming media players are the most frequently used Internet-connected entertainment device, with 41% of owners using their players daily or almost daily.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
More than 50% of U.S. broadband households own a smart TV
May 21, 2018 – Parks Associates’ new report 'Smart TVs vs. Streaming Media Players: Winning Over Consumers' reports that more than 50% of U.S. broadband households own a smart TV and more than 40% own a streaming media player.
News categories: Parks Associates, Jennifer Kent, Blu-ray, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
Global video revenues hit $70bn in 2017
Mar 6, 2018 – Online services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have transformed the video business in recent years, but according to the latest research from Strategy Analytics, revenue increases will be even higher in the next four years than in the previous four years.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, NABShow, OTT, Worldwide
Sharp and TiVo extend interactive program guide deal
Mar 6, 2018 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has announced that Sharp will further utilize TiVo’s G-Guide HTML across Sharp 4K smart TVs and Ultra HD Blu-ray recorders in Japan, TiVo’s G-Guide xD app and remote schedule recording service for its Blu-ray recorders.
News categories: TiVo Corp, Sharp Corp, Michael Hawkey, Big Data, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Japan, Smart TV, UX
- ITV and BBC sign agreement to launch BritBox
- Inca ABR transcoder approved for MOBITV CONNECT deployments
- UK CE market forecast to grow 4% in 2019
- Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
- ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
- Netflix US streaming subscribers down 126k in 2Q 2019
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report
- One million downloads for Sinclair's STIRR app
- Cifra and Flussonic offer integrated IPTV/OTT solution
- Vodafone Portugal enhances the TV user experience
- Mirada to empower pay TV operators with Netflix integration
- DNA sells pay-DTT business to Digita
- Socionext releases 8K-capable live video encoding unit
- Speedcast, In Aria! and Telespazio announce joint service offering
- Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
- Block Communications to use Comscore local TV ratings and Advanced Audiences
- 27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
- Nielsen's TV ratings platform moves to AWS
- NEC demonstrates live 8K video transmission over 5G in France
- U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019