Verimatrix forensic watermarking accredited by ChinaDRM Lab
Apr 10, 2018 – Verimatrix has announced that its forensic watermarking capabilities have been evaluated and validated by ChinaDRM Lab, the official testing organization of the State Administration of Radio and Television of the People's Republic of China.
News categories: Verimatrix, State Administration of Radio and Television, Petr Peterka, China, Digital TV, NABShow, Regulation, Watermarking
Singapore to provide DTV Starter Kits to HDB households without Pay TV
Apr 6, 2018 – The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) will offer a DTV Starter Kit to all Singaporean HDB households which do not subscribe to Pay-TV, to allow them to continue to enjoy local free-to-air TV after analogue switch-off on December 31, 2018.
News categories: Media Development Authority, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, Singapore, Terrestrial
EU Court of Justice says offering copies of TV programmes in the cloud must be authorised by the copyright holder
Nov 29, 2017 – VCAST makes available to its customers via the internet recordings of Italian terrestrial TV programmes. The Court of Justice was asked whether VCAST’s service, provided without the consent of the copyright owner or holder of related rights, is compatible with the EU's Copyright Directive.
News categories: Court of Justice, Digital TV, EU, Italy, OTT, Regulation, UK
U.S. DOJ challenges AT&T/DIRECTV acquisition of Time Warner
Nov 20, 2017 – The U.S. Department of Justice has filed a civil antitrust lawsuit to block AT&T/DIRECTV’s proposed acquisition of Time Warner, saying that the deal would substantially lessen competition resulting in higher prices and less innovation.
News categories: Department of Justice, AT&T, Time Warner, Digital TV, IPTV, Regulation, Satellite, USA
FCC authorizes ATSC 3.0 transmission standard
Nov 16, 2017 – The Federal Communications Commission has adopted rules to let television broadcasters use the Next Generation broadcast television transmission standard, also called ATSC 3.0, on a voluntary, market-driven basis.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, USA
Singapore moves analogue switch-off to January 1, 2019
Nov 6, 2017 – The cessation of analogue TV broadcasting in Singapore has been shifted from end-2017 to 31 December 2018 to allow more time for households to switch over to DTV. In addition, IMDA is studying enhancements to its DTV Assistance Scheme (DTVAS).
News categories: IMDA, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Regulation, Singapore, Terrestrial
Brazilian antitrust authority approves AT&T acquisition of Time Warner
Oct 18, 2017 – Brazil’s antitrust authority, the Conselho Administrativo de Defesa Econômica (CADE) has approved AT&T’s pending acquisition of Time Warner. CADE’s approval does not require the sale or divestiture of any AT&T or Time Warner assets.
News categories: AT&T, Conselho Administrativo de Defesa Econômica, David McAtee, Brazil, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Regulation
India consults on set-top box interoperability
Aug 11, 2017 – The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has released a consultation note on a technical solution architecture for an interoperable Set Top Box (STB) for digital TV broadcasting services.
News categories: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Shri Sunil Kumar Singhal, Content Protection, Digital TV, India, Middleware, Regulation, Set Top Box
EBU urges EU policy makers to set out clear privacy rules for audience measurement
Jun 21, 2017 – As the European Parliament examines future ePrivacy Regulation, the EBU has expressed concern at potential restrictions on the ability of third parties to gather audience measurement data on behalf of broadcasters.
News categories: EBU, Big Data, Digital TV, EU, Market Research, Regulation
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event
- Singtel TV subscribers up 1,100 in 2Q 2019