Digital TV News: Kagan
U.S. virtual multichannel growth slows in 1Q 2019
May 24, 2019 – According to Kagan, virtual multichannel subscriber growth in the U.S. slowed in the first-quarter 2019, increasing 5.8% from the end of 2018. This compares to an 11.8% compound quarterly growth rate between fourth-quarter 2017 and fourth-quarter 2018.
News categories: S&P Global, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Local online video actors particularly strong in the Nordics
Mar 20, 2019 – Local online video actors are particularly strong in the Nordics compared to the European market. Mediavision has found that Netflix and Amazon combined holds roughly a 40% share of all Nordic online video subscriptions.
News categories: Mediavision, Denmark, Digital TV, Europe, Finland, Market Research, Norway, OTT, Sweden
U.S. multichannel video losses nearly 4 million in 2018
Mar 11, 2019 – According to Kagan, U.S. cable, satellite and telecom multichannel sectors lost nearly 1.1 million subscriptions in the fourth quarter, which pushed the full-year decline to 4 million. DBS services accounted for more than half of the annual loss.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Global multichannel market up 3.1% in 2018 as IPTV subscriptions overtake DTH
Feb 12, 2019 – In 2018, IPTV overtook direct-to-home (DTH) as the second-largest multichannel platform in the world by subscribers after cable TV, accounting for 23.4% of the total market of 1.07 billion households, according to Kagan.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Worldwide
Cord-cutting trend expected to nearly double broadband-only homes in U.S.
Jan 28, 2019 – Broadband homes without a traditional multichannel subscription are set to grow from 23.3 million in 2018 to 40.8 million by 2023, according to Kagan. Kagan expects the segment to account for nearly one-third of U.S. households in the next five years.
News categories: S&P Global Market Intelligence, Tony Lenoir, Broadband, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
U.S. 2018 TV and radio M&A deal volume highest since 2008
Jan 3, 2019 – According to Kagan, U.S. broadcast station mergers and acquisitions (M&A) volume reached $4.31 billion in the fourth quarter of 2018. 2018 closed with an $8.87 billion deal volume, representing an increase of 8% over 2017.
News categories: S&P Global, Digital TV, Market Research, MnA, USA
Demand for Netflix Originals set to overtake licensed titles in the U.S.
Dec 13, 2018 – Research by Parrot Analytics and Kagan shows support for one of Netflix's most important strategic goals. According to the report, demand for Netflix Originals is estimated to overtake the share of demand for licensed titles by October 2019.
News categories: S&P Global, Parrot Analytics, Deana Myers, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
U.S. multichannel sectors lost 1.2 million video subscribers in Q3
Nov 13, 2018 – Q3 results for U.S. multichannel video subscriptions cut short a brief wave of optimism for the sector, according to Kagan. Accelerating losses in satellite and weakening net adds from Sling TV and DirecTV Now drove the overall decline.
News categories: Kagan, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
North America and Asia most active mobile video markets
Sep 5, 2018 – The move to active mobile video offerings will grow as entertainment bundling with mobile services becomes a must, according to Kagan. North American and Asian markets lead the charge in a shift to active mobile video markets.
News categories: Kagan, John Fletcher, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, Worldwide
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event