Digital TV News: LG Electronics
LG rolls out webOS SDK for LG Smart+ TVs
Jun 25, 2014 – LG Electronics (LG) has unveiled its SDK to help developers create new LG Smart+ TV apps with greater ease and efficiency. An accompanying website will provide developers with access to all the information they need to create high quality webOS TV apps.
News categories: LG Electronics, Dr. Scott Ahn, Apps, Digital TV, HTML5, Smart TV, Worldwide
Smart TV Alliance Common Developer Portal goes live
Jun 2, 2014 – Smart TV application developers can now use a single, integrated process to publish their applications to compliant Smart TV Alliance members’ smart TVs. This makes the publication process simpler, more cost-effective and faster.
News categories: Smart TV Alliance, Seijiro Yasuki, Apps, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Smart TV, Worldwide
LG Smart+ TV passes one million in sales since introduction
Jun 2, 2014 – LG has announced that more than one million units of its webOS-enabled Smart+ TVs have been sold since the launch of the lineup in March. LG expects sales to reach 10 million units by the first half of 2015.
News categories: LG Electronics, In-kyu Lee, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Ultra HD in 33% of US homes by 2020
May 12, 2014 – Ultra HD (UHD) TV household ownership will grow from less than 10 percent of homes in the USA for the next 4 years to 33 percent of homes by 2020 according to a Strategy Analytics report.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
FUTURECAST broadcast system for ATSC 3.0 on show at NAB2014
Apr 2, 2014 – FUTURECAST was co-developed by LG Electronics, its U.S. R&D subsidiary Zenith, and GatesAir as the foundation of next-generation terrestrial broadcasting in the United States and around the world.
News categories: LG Electronics, GatesAir, Dr. Skott Ahn, Rich Redmond, ATSC, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Terrestrial, The NAB Show, USA
Samsung, Vizio control U.S. Smart TV market
Mar 10, 2014 – The majority of Smart TV shipments in the United States were fulfilled by Samsung and Vizio Flat Panel TVs (FPTV) in Q4 2013, according to the latest Strategy Analytics research.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Samsung reasserts Smart TV dominance in Q4 2013
Feb 17, 2014 – Samsung retained its leadership position in the global Smart TV market amid the competitive holiday season of Q4 2013 with a 26.4 percent share as TV vendors rapidly deploy Smart TV capabilities, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
DISH Network unveils Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR enhancements
Jan 6, 2014 – DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH) has unveiled a slate of enhancements to its Hopper™ Whole-Home HD DVR platform that extend the reach of the Hopper experience into the home and improve the overall user experience.
News categories: DISH Network, Broadcom, Joseph P. Clayton, Vivek Khemka, CES, Digital TV, Gateway, Home Networking, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Semiconductor, USA
LG unveils webOS Smart TV platform
Jan 6, 2014 – LG Electronics has unveiled its newest Smart TV platform at CES in Las Vegas. webOS, which was purchased from Hewlett-Packard in March last year, has been reinvented and reintroduced as LG's new Smart TV platform.
News categories: LG Electronics, In-kyu Lee, CES, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV
- HD and VOD feed Latin America's pay TV growth
- Pace achieves Minerva certification for IPTV STBs
- FUTURECAST ATSC 3.0 physical layer tested in Wisconsin
- SoftAtHome integrates Z-Wave networking with Sigma Designs
- Express-AM6 DTH satellite put into orbit over Russia
- Broadcom reports third quarter 2014 results
- Broadpeak Quality of Experience agent integrated with Zenterio OS
- Time Warner Cable rolls-out new DVR in New York and LA
- 64% of U.S. broadband households have Internet-connected CE
- Actions Semi debuts SoC for tablets and OTT set-tops
- Broadcom introduces G.fast SoC for home gateways
- Demand for pay TV video encoders on the rise
- Verizon adds 114,000 video subscribers in 3Q 2014
- Huawei licenses Frog by Wyplay STB middleware
- Airtel and Samsung launch India's first IDTV
- Dominance of pay TV masks strong growth in VOD services
- UK's Freesat adds 8,000 TV homes in 3Q 2014
- Quantenna and SoftAtHome partner for wireless home networks
- Adobe report shows U.S. online TV consumption up 388 percent
- DIRECTV subscribers up 36% in Uruguay at end-1H 2014