Digital TV News: LG Electronics
SBS, LG conduct first ATSC 3.0 test transmission in Korea
Sep 21, 2015 – Korean broadcaster SBS has partnered with LG Electronics for the first live over-the-air broadcast of 4K Ultra HD signals using technologies behind the emerging ATSC 3.0 next-generation television broadcast standard.
News categories: LG Electronics, SBS, Dr. Skott Ahn, ATSC, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Korea, Terrestrial
UK's Freesat announces technology partnership with LG
Sep 21, 2015 – Freesat, the subscription free satellite TV service in the UK, and LG have announced a strategic partnership to provide the Freesat service on LG’s new and existing satellite enabled smart TVs.
News categories: Freesat, LG Electronics, Matthew Huntington, Andy Mackay, Digital TV, Satellite, Smart TV, UK
TV shipments post largest annual decline in five years
Sep 10, 2015 – Global TV shipments declined 8 percent, year over year, to 48 million units in the second quarter (Q2) of 2015, after a year of quarterly year-over-year growth in 2014, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Inc, Paul Gagnon, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Cryptography Research to manage cryptographic keys for SCSA-enabled devices
Sep 1, 2015 – Cryptography Research (NASDAQ:RMBS) has been selected by the Secure Content Storage Association (SCSA) to run and manage the VIDITY Key Issuance Center. The service manages cryptographic keys that SCSA-enabled devices and services use in securing content.
News categories: Cryptography Research, SCSA, Paul Kocher, David Huerta, Content Protection, Digital TV, Worldwide
LG adds DIRECTV as content partner for webOS TVs
Sep 1, 2015 – LG hasy announced expanded U.S. content partners for its webOS Smart TV platform, including access to streaming Full HD and 4K content from DIRECTV without the need of extra boxes for DIRECTV subscribers.
News categories: LG Electronics, DIRECTV, David VanderWaal, Digital TV, Middleware, Satellite, Smart TV, USA
Field tests show capabilities of emerging ATSC 3.0 standard
Jul 10, 2015 – Television broadcasters will reach even more viewers with robust, digital over-the-air ATSC 3.0 signals, the improved broadcast transmission system under development now with key elements being field tested in the U.S. this summer.
News categories: LG Electronics, GatesAir, Dr. Skott Ahn, Rich Redmond, ATSC, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Smart TV, Terrestrial, USA
Leading TV brands now more reliant on Chinese manufacturers
Jun 22, 2015 – TVs made by outsourcing specialists are expected to reach an industry record of 43 percent of LCD TVs shipped globally in 2015, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS). Outsourcing manufacturing has become one of the most important business strategies for TV brands.
News categories: IHS Inc, Deborah Yang, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
First quarter 2015 4K TV growth strong
Jun 8, 2015 – 4K LCD TV shipments grew nearly 400 percent year-over-year to reach 4.7 million units worldwide in the first quarter of 2015. Volume barely dropped from the seasonally strong fourth quarter (Q4), according to IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS, Paul Gagnon, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Futurecast preparing for Cleveland field test of next-gen TV system
Apr 2, 2015 – The future of TV is coming to Cleveland where experimental broadcasts will further verify the capabilities of transmission technologies developed for the ATSC 3.0 next-generation television broadcast standard.
News categories: LG Electronics, GatesAir, Tribune Media, Dr. Skott Ahn, Rich Redmond, Larry Wert, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Terrestrial, USA
- Sky Cable to launch DTH TV in the Philippines on SES satellites
- SES and K-NET partner to provide DTH and DTT to West Africa
- Broadpeak powers VTVcab OTT multiscreen services in Vietnam
- Dish TV India adds 508,000 subscribers in 1Q 2016
- MENA pay TV households up 10% in 2015
- Pay TV subscriptions in Brazil down 162,000 in 1Q 2016
- SERAPHIC HTML5 browser selected by Skyworth for HbbTV 2.0 markets
- RCN launches Hulu as a channel
- Smart TV shipments exceed 100 million units in 2015
- 3SS updates UI for Kabel Deutschland Select Video VOD service
- Minerva certifies ADB’s IPTV wireless and 4K/UHD STB
- MindMeld launches AI platform for TV and entertainment discovery
- 4K Set-Top Box market to quadruple in 2016
- HISPASAT and MEO to broadcast Champions League Final and UEFA Euro in 4K
- Asia Pacific OTT TV & video revenues to triple
- Amazon moves to second place in U.S. streaming media player sales
- Major U.S. pay TV providers add 10,000 subscribers in 1Q 2016
- Brazil's Unifique selects Irdeto to secure cable and FTTH networks
- Evolution Digital deploys TiVo-powered eBOX at WOW! cable
- Exset and Newland target cable operators in Pakistan