Digital TV News: LG Electronics
LG selects Gracenote to power Smart TV interface in Europe
Aug 28, 2013 – LG has selected Gracenote® to power the On Now service in its latest CINEMA 3D Smart TV lineup in Europe. Gracenote eyeQ™ will provide TV schedules and listings, movie and TV show descriptive metadata, as well as Cover Art and images.
News categories: Gracenote, LG Electronics, Digital TV, Europe, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV
LG Electronics selects Cognitive Networks to enable enhanced TV capabilities on Smart TVs
Aug 28, 2013 – Cognitive Networks, a provider of real-time data services that power Enhanced TV on Smart TVs, has announced that LG Electronics will be the first to integrate Cognitive Networks' real-time data service on its Smart TV platform.
News categories: LG Electronics, Cognitive Networks, Apps, Middleware, Smart TV
Entone integrates with LG 'Netcast' platform
Jul 24, 2013 – Entone has announced the integration of LG Electronics' Netcast media streaming platform with Entone's hybrid media gateway. The combined solution is designed to deliver linear TV and OTT services to connected CE devices without the need for a traditional set-top box.
News categories: Entone, LG Electronics, Digital TV, Gateway, Middleware, Set Top Box
LG unveils smart set-top boxes at Cable Show 2013
Jun 10, 2013 – At the 2013 Cable Show, LG Electronics has unveiled a range of energy efficient smart set-top boxes designed to help cable operators capitalize on the Smart TV explosion, accelerate the transition to IPTV and deliver the combination of live, linear and OTT TV that consumers demand.
News categories: LG Electronics, Cable TV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, The Cable Show
Hillcrest Labs secures RDK license from Comcast
May 29, 2013 – Hillcrest Labs has announced that it is the first motion control technology provider to license the Reference Design Kit (RDK) software stack from Comcast. The RDK is a pre-integrated software bundle that creates a common framework for powering tru2way® devices.
News categories: Hillcrest Labs, Comcast, Cable TV, Middleware, OCAP, Set Top Box, The Cable Show, USA
Global LCD TV Shipments Fall for the First Time in 2012
Mar 21, 2013 – Annual global LCD TV shipments declined for the first time ever in 2012, down 1% to 203 million, according to the latest findings from DisplaySearch. Q4 was the only quarter to see any growth, rising 0.6%, but it was not enough to offset declines from the first three quarters.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, LCD TV, Market Research, Smart TV
4Kx2K LCD TV Panel Shipments Expected to Reach 2.6M in 2013
Mar 14, 2013 – According to the latest NPD DisplaySearch Quarterly Large Area TFT Panel Shipment Report, TFT LCD panel suppliers are forecast to ship 2.6 million 4Kx2K LCD TV panels (also known as Ultra HD) worldwide in 2013, up more than 40-fold from 63 thousand in 2012.
News categories: DisplaySearch, David Hsieh, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
LG Electronics Acquires webOS from HP to Enhance Smart TV
Feb 25, 2013 – LG Electronics (KSE: 066570.KS) has announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement with HP (NYSE: HPQ) to acquire the source code, associated documentation, engineering talent and related websites associated with webOS.
News categories: LG Electronics, Hewlett-Packard, Digital TV, M&A, Middleware, Smart TV, Tablet
LG launches family of PVRs based on ViXS™ XCode® 4200 SoCs
Jan 8, 2013 – ViXS Systems has announced that the ViXS XCode 4200 family has been selected for LG's PVR STB models. Using the XCode SoC, LG has combined STB, recording and networking functions with media transcoding to pioneer a new wave of enhanced STB PVR products.
News categories: ViXS, LG Electronics, Digital TV, Personal Video Recorder, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
- ALi ATSC SoC designed-in by Funai for Mexico STB
- Altech UEC manufactures 20 millionth set-top box
- Piksel OTT solution for Belgium's VRT
- Ecuador adds 443 thousand pay TV subscribers in 2013
- Belarus reaches 97.4% DTT coverage
- Sky Italia OTT TV to launch in two weeks
- DISH Anywhere now available on Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets
- Roku announces HDMI Roku Streaming Stick
- Philippines' CignalTV subscribers pass 600,000 in 2013
- Cable TV subscribers in Switzerland drop 57,600 in 2013
- Pace preliminary results for the year ended 31 December 2013
- Chunghwa Telecom launches TVs with MOD IPTV integrated
- ZTE ranked no. 1 in IPTV middleware, VOD and STBs
- DISH secures rights to Disney, ABC & ESPN content for OTT service
- CableLabs & Cisco open IPTV Innovations Lab
- Mobistar selects Viaccess-Orca CA to secure cable TV services
- FreeviewPlus for Australia unveiled
- Malawi issues tender for supply of DVB-T2 STBs
- Two-in-five Pay TV households to have STB apps by 2019
- České Radiokomunikace to extend DVB-T2 trial to cover Ultra HD