Digital TV News: LG Electronics
Deluxe expands 4K UHD capabilities of Deluxe OnDemand™
Dec 15, 2014 – Deluxe has announced enhancements to its cloud-based content supply and VOD management solution. The features enable service providers to launch 4K Ultra HD services without additional infrastructure investment or workflow costs.
News categories: Deluxe Digital Distribution, Todd Collart, Infrastructure, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
1.9 connected TV devices per broadband household in USA
Dec 10, 2014 – Ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) in the U.S. grew 5 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q3 2014 and 28 percent year-on-year to reach 168 million units.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
4K/Ultra HD leads TV growth in the U.S.
Nov 6, 2014 – The 4K/UHD format is the driver of growth within the flat panel television category, with U.S. sales reaching $668 million so far this year, now accounting for more than 7 percent of overall revenue according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
FUTURECAST ATSC 3.0 physical layer tested in Wisconsin
Oct 22, 2014 – Quincy Group's WKOW-TV is conducting a second round of broadcast field testing of the 'FUTURECAST™ Universal Terrestrial Broadcasting System.' FUTURECAST is a contributor to the'physical layer' at the heart of the ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard.
News categories: LG Electronics, Quincy Group, Gates Air, Dr. Skott Ahn, Brady Dreasler, Rich Redmond, ATSC, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Terrestrial, USA
DVB-T2 pilot project launched in Berlin
Oct 6, 2014 – MEDIA BROADCAST has launched a pilot project in Berlin to test the new DVB-T2 standard. All leading TV broadcasters, relevant industry associations and many companies in the CE industry are involved as project partners.
News categories: MEDIA BROADCAST GmbH, Ulf Heggenberger, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Germany, Semiconductor, Terrestrial
Hillcrest Labs brings motion, gesture and cursor control to Skyworth smart TVs
Oct 6, 2014 – Hillcrest Labs has announced that Skyworth will use Hillcrest's motion software in a line of Smart TVs. Hillcrest's software will enable motion, gesture and cursor control of content and apps on Skyworth's Android-based TVs.
News categories: Hillcrest Labs, Skyworth, Chad Lucien, Meng Wang, Apps, China, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV
Global connected TV device installed base hits half a billion units in Q2 2014
Oct 2, 2014 – Worldwide ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) grew 7 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q2 2014 to reach 500 million units according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
LG U+ unveils Ultra HD IPTV service
Sep 30, 2014 – LG U+ has announced the launch of an Ultra HD IPTV service via its new U+ tvG 4K UHD set-top box. The box is the first to be based on a quad core processor and the first to be able to display 4 channels simultaneously on the TV screen.
News categories: LG Uplus, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Set Top Box
Smart TV Alliance Specification v4.0 published
Sep 10, 2014 – The Smart TV Alliance has announced the publication on its Common Developer Portal of Smart TV Alliance Specification v4.0. So far, more than 4,000 smart TV application developers have download the Smart TV Alliance SDK.
News categories: Smart TV Alliance, Seijiro Yasuki, Apps, Digital TV, IBC, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Finland's DNA upgrades OTT with Booxmedia and Verimatrix
- MPEG LA issues Call for Patents for MPEG-DASH
- AT&T completes acquisition of DIRECTV
- BARB to release UK OTT viewing report
- AT&T U-verse TV subscribers down 22,000 in 2Q 2015
- Comcast video subscribers down 69,000 in 2Q 2015
- EU objects to cross-border provision of pay-TV services available in UK and Ireland
- STMicroelectronics reports 2Q 2015 results
- Technicolor to acquire Cisco connected devices division
- ACTV launches Nigeria's first CAM-Card for Smart TVs
- Videocon d2h adds 0.46 million subscribers in 2Q 2015
- HEVC Advance announces patent royalty rate schedule
- U.S. OTT TV viewing is higher in Gen X, Kid households
- WOW! selects TiVo to power multiscreen TV
- Digital TV Labs first approved lab for Malaysia DTT HbbTV receivers
- 21% of UK users have accessed TV content illegally
- OTT video starting to take-off in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa
- Irdeto and SMiT launch CAM for Transvision in Indonesia
- Verizon adds 26,000 FiOS Video connections in 2Q 2015
- VTVCab, SmarDTV and Samsung deploy Conax-certified CAM in Vietnam