Digital TV News: LG Electronics
Ultra HD TVs make gains but still lack market penetration
Jul 23, 2014 – Ultra-high-definition televisions (UHD TVs) continued to make slow and steady inroads throughout the world, but their share of the overall flat-panel TV market remained minimal by the end of May, according to IHS Technology (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Technology, Jusy Hong, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
LG rolls out webOS SDK for LG Smart+ TVs
Jun 25, 2014 – LG Electronics (LG) has unveiled its SDK to help developers create new LG Smart+ TV apps with greater ease and efficiency. An accompanying website will provide developers with access to all the information they need to create high quality webOS TV apps.
News categories: LG Electronics, Dr. Scott Ahn, Apps, Digital TV, HTML5, Smart TV, Worldwide
Smart TV Alliance Common Developer Portal goes live
Jun 2, 2014 – Smart TV application developers can now use a single, integrated process to publish their applications to compliant Smart TV Alliance members’ smart TVs. This makes the publication process simpler, more cost-effective and faster.
News categories: Smart TV Alliance, Seijiro Yasuki, Apps, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Smart TV, Worldwide
LG Smart+ TV passes one million in sales since introduction
Jun 2, 2014 – LG has announced that more than one million units of its webOS-enabled Smart+ TVs have been sold since the launch of the lineup in March. LG expects sales to reach 10 million units by the first half of 2015.
News categories: LG Electronics, In-kyu Lee, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Ultra HD in 33% of US homes by 2020
May 12, 2014 – Ultra HD (UHD) TV household ownership will grow from less than 10 percent of homes in the USA for the next 4 years to 33 percent of homes by 2020 according to a Strategy Analytics report.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
FUTURECAST broadcast system for ATSC 3.0 on show at NAB2014
Apr 2, 2014 – FUTURECAST was co-developed by LG Electronics, its U.S. R&D subsidiary Zenith, and GatesAir as the foundation of next-generation terrestrial broadcasting in the United States and around the world.
News categories: LG Electronics, GatesAir, Dr. Skott Ahn, Rich Redmond, ATSC, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Terrestrial, The NAB Show, USA
Samsung, Vizio control U.S. Smart TV market
Mar 10, 2014 – The majority of Smart TV shipments in the United States were fulfilled by Samsung and Vizio Flat Panel TVs (FPTV) in Q4 2013, according to the latest Strategy Analytics research.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Samsung reasserts Smart TV dominance in Q4 2013
Feb 17, 2014 – Samsung retained its leadership position in the global Smart TV market amid the competitive holiday season of Q4 2013 with a 26.4 percent share as TV vendors rapidly deploy Smart TV capabilities, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
DISH Network unveils Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR enhancements
Jan 6, 2014 – DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH) has unveiled a slate of enhancements to its Hopper™ Whole-Home HD DVR platform that extend the reach of the Hopper experience into the home and improve the overall user experience.
News categories: DISH Network, Broadcom, Joseph P. Clayton, Vivek Khemka, CES2015, Digital TV, Gateway, Home Networking, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Semiconductor, USA
- Video traffic expected to reach 65% of mobile data within 5 years
- Zenterio integrates Ekioh HTML5 browser
- Teleste headend for Arganet IPTV in Brazil
- HBO GO launches on Xbox One in U.S.
- OTT pay TV revenue to hit $10 billion in 2018
- Hong Kong Television launches OTT entertainment platform
- Siyaya awarded broadcasting licence in South Africa
- Mirada and Edgeware partner for multiscreen delivery
- UK to re-allocate 700MHz DTT spectrum to mobile broadband
- Eutelsat and Spacecom create unified DTH neighbourhood for Africa at 16-17°E
- Pay TV service adoption higher in the U.K. and Germany than in Spain
- Netflix to launch in Australia and New Zealand in March 2015
- Demand for local content will spur rapid MENA media growth
- Starz adds ENCORE PLAY and MOVIEPLEX PLAY to Xbox One
- SFR launches La Box TV Fibre in France
- MYTV signs deal with Telekom Malaysia for DTT infrastructure
- 1.5 million visitors each week to Samsung's UK Smart TV hub
- Chapters DTV wins DTH broadcasting licence in Nigeria
- IPTV will account for 24% of UK media connections by end-2018
- West Alabama TV selects Inca Networks MPEG-4 IPTV transcoder