Digital TV News: Ofcom
Half of UK homes now subscribe to TV streaming services
Aug 7, 2019 – Around half of all UK homes now subscribe to TV streaming services according to Ofcom’s Media Nations report. The number of UK households signed up to the most popular streaming platforms increased from 11.2m (39%) in 2018 to 13.3m (47%) in 2019.
News categories: Ofcom, Yih-Choung Teh, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
Three UK to launch 5G network in August
Jun 10, 2019 – Following trials with customers in London, Three UK has announced that it will launch 5G in August with a 5G home broadband service in London. Three will then launch both mobile and home broadband offerings in 25 towns and cities across the UK before the end of the year.
News categories: Three UK, Dave Dyson, 5G, Content Distribution, Mobile, UK
FTTH Council Europe updates FTTH/FTTB figures
Mar 14, 2019 – The latest FTTH Market Panorama prepared by IDATE has been released. The number of FTTH and FTTB subscribers in Europe has increased by 15.7% in the EU39 since September 2017 with more than 59.6 million FTTH/B subscribers in September 2018.
News categories: FTTH Council, Ronan Kelly, Europe, Fibre, Subscribers, Worldwide
BBC opens public consultation on iPlayer improvements
Jan 7, 2019 – The BBC has launched a public consultation on its plans to reinvent BBC iPlayer - making it a destination in its own right, with box sets, live programming and archive titles that champion quality UK content and offer great programmes for longer.
News categories: BBC, Charlotte Moore, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Ofcom releases 2018 UK Communications Market Report
Aug 2, 2018 – Most people in the UK are dependent on their digital devices, and need a constant connection to the internet, following a decade of digital transformation according to Ofcom’s Communications Market Report 2018.
News categories: Ofcom, Ian Macrae, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
UK: TV streaming services overtake pay TV for first time
Jul 18, 2018 – The number of UK subscriptions to television streaming services like Netflix has overtaken those to traditional pay television for the first time. The findings are part of Ofcom’s Media Nations report, a study of major trends in the UK’s television, radio and audio sectors.
News categories: Ofcom, Sharon White, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Ofcom publishes International Communications Market Report 2017
Dec 18, 2017 – This is the twelfth year in which Ofcom has published the International Communications Market Report, which provides comparative international data on the communications sector. The report compares industry structures and consumer outcomes in the UK with those in 16 comparator countries.
News categories: Ofcom, Digital TV, Market Research, UK, Worldwide
Ofcom releases annual Communications Market Report
Aug 3, 2017 – BBC iPlayer is the most popular on-demand service in the UK with 63% of adults saying they use it, followed by ITV Hub at 40% and then YouTube at 38% and Netflix at 31%. The findings are part of Ofcom’s annual Communications Market Report 2017.
News categories: Ofcom, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
- Pay TV ARPU at record high levels in the Nordics
- Evolution Digital launches Android TV device management platform
- Zixi powers 4K UHD Bloomberg TV+ service
- Telekom Malaysia selects Skyworth as 4K Android TV Operator Tier partner
- FourthWall Media adds Neilsen Smart TV ACR data to analytics platform
- TDS Telecom rolls-out IP video and Cloud DVR with Velocix
- A1now selects Vionlabs for AI-powered recommendations
- Global AVOD expenditure to double
- Gem Shopping Network to use Comscore TV measurement
- United Group makes strategic investment in Forthnet
- Disney+ and Apple TV+ both see success during first six months in the market
- Comcast, Charter and ViacomCBS announce Blockgraph partnership
- Britbox app now available on BT TV set-top boxes
- Conviva partners with Akamai on QoE intelligence
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Bouygues Telecom replaces set-top box with Smart TV app
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Cable-Tec Expo unable to go ahead
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees