Digital TV News: Arqiva
Arqiva supports Freeview Play metadata migration to the Cloud
Jul 27, 2020 – Arqiva has created a cloud-based metadata management system for Digital UK. The system supports the migration of the Freeview Play service information platform to a highly scalable public cloud infrastructure.
News categories: Arqiva, Digital UK, Laurie Patten, James Jackson, Big Data, Digital TV, UK
STV selects Arqiva Hybrid TV Service for HD restart feature
Feb 13, 2020 – Arqiva has announced that its Hybrid TV Service has been selected by Scotland’s largest commercial broadcaster, STV, to launch its restart services across DTT and Freeview Play. The service launched on STV SD in December, and will now be replicated on the STV HD channel.
News categories: Arqiva, STV, Drew Hosie, Richard Williams, Digital TV, UK, UX
Freeview UK mobile app launching in January 2019
Nov 28, 2018 – Freeview UK has announced 22nd January 2019 as the launch date of its new iOS mobile app. The app provides viewers with a one-stop-shop for the country’s most watched TV shows. An Android version will launch in early 2019.
News categories: Freeview UK, Jonathan Thompson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
DTG releases D-Book 10 DTT specification for the UK
Nov 3, 2017 – The DTG’s D-Book 10 is the industry determined, next generation, universally deployed specification which supports future interactive services and enables the continuing transition towards HbbTV.
News categories: DTG, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Peter Seller, Dr. Klaus Illgner, Laurie Patten, Guy North, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
More than half of Smart HD TVs sold in the UK have Freeview Play
Jul 31, 2017 – Freeview has announced that Freeview Play TVs account for more than half of all Smart HD TV sales in the UK. In June, 55% of Smart HD TVs sold were Freeview Play enabled, a rise of 20 percentage points since January 2017.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Dan Hastings, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, Smart TV, UK
EUTELSAT 9B on track for 28 January launch
Jan 15, 2016 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) has announces that the EUTELSAT 9B satellite is on track for launch by an ILS Proton rocket on 28 January. EUTELSAT 9B is a high-capacity Ku-band satellite for the 9° East position that sits at the crossroads of Europe’s leading video neighbourhoods.
News categories: Eutelsat, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Satellite
Freeview Play to launch in UK on Panasonic TVs next month
Sep 3, 2015 – Freeview and Digital UK have announced that the new Freeview Play connected TV service, the next generation of the UK’s biggest TV platform, will launch in October. Panasonic televisions will be the first to introduce the service.
News categories: Freeview, Digital UK, Panasonic, Guy North, Caroline Thomson, Andrew Denham, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK rebrands as Freeview Play
Feb 12, 2015 – Freeview UK has undergone a major rebrand in preparation for a new product launch that will introduce a mass market connected TV offer. The Freeview logo and visual identity have been refreshed to reflect the platform’s evolving service.
News categories: Freeview, Keith Underwood, Guy North, Digital TV, Terrestrial, UK
- Pay TV revenue in New Zealand to follow -3.1% CAGR
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- Bitmovin and OKAST team up to deliver live and VOD streaming
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic
- Eutelsat 7/8°W predominant broadcast position for Egyptian TV homes
- NEXTGEN TV launches on local TV in Norfolk, VA
- Universal Electronics to launch Apple TV remote control for MVPDs
- Nielsen unveils new ID resolution system
- TeraVolt wins tender for development at ZDF Mediathek
- Ocilion delivers content recommendations with XroadMedia
- Mirada helps izzi bring Disney+ to Mexico