5G (LTE, 4G, 3G) Mobile Broadband News
5G expected to replace broadcast for TV content access
Jul 16, 2020 – According to a global survey of broadcasters, 82% believe that cellular networks like 5G will eventually replace traditional broadcast distribution as the preferred way to access TV content.
News categories: Nevion, Andy Rayner, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
Rohde & Schwarz and Digita complete DVB-T2 network upgrade in Finland
May 14, 2020 – In Finland, Rohde & Schwarz has announced the completion of a DVB-T2 terrestrial TV transmitter network upgrade that spans the entire country. Working with Digita, Rohde & Schwarz has supplied more than 80 UHF HD transmitters.
News categories: Rohde & Schwarz, Digita Oy, Manfred Reitmeier, Pekka Mattila, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Finland
LiveU selected by NTT DOCOMO for live video streaming over 5G
Apr 27, 2020 – LiveU technology has been selected by NTT DOCOMO for live video streaming over its newly-launched 5G network. DOCOMO will promote a variety of LiveU’s HEVC bonding transmission products bundled with its 5G and 4G connectivity.
News categories: LiveU, NTT DOCOMO, Yaal Eshel, Takeshi Funakoshi, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, OTT
Velocix introduces CDN software for 5G video streaming
Mar 29, 2020 – Velocix has introduced mobile-optimised CDN software targeting 5G video applications. The company uses multi-tier CDN delivery and inter-cache communications technology to reduce traffic demands over mobile backhaul networks by as much as 30%.
News categories: Velocix, Jim Brickmeier, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
Kontron and Anevia collaborate on video delivery at the network edge
Mar 2, 2020 – Kontron has partnered with Anevia to offer edge caching technology designed to reduce video traffic in the core network for operators and improve QoE for viewers. The solution targets CSPs, telco operators, broadcasters and OTT service providers.
News categories: Kontron, Anevia, Bertrand Foulon, David Tencer, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Cisco releases Annual Internet Report
Feb 18, 2020 – According to the Cisco Annual Internet Report, 5G will support more than 10% of the world's mobile connections by 2023 and social networking, video streaming and downloads, business productivity, e-commerce and gaming will drive the continued growth of mobile applications.
News categories: Cisco Systems, Roland Acra, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Pixelworks and Qualcomm integrate Live Local TV with 5G broadband
Feb 18, 2020 – Pixelworks (NASDAQ: PXLW) is working with Qualcomm on a 5G-based fixed wireless access CPE platform. The joint reference solution will combine Pixelworks’ OTA streaming XCode® processor with the Qualcomm Snapdragon™ X55 5G Modem-RF System.
News categories: Pixelworks, Qualcomm, Anthony Gioeli, Gautam Sheoran, 5G, Digital TV, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, USA
2020 will be the year of Direct-to-Consumer OTT video
Jan 8, 2020 – 2020 will represent a profound step toward a future where more OTT content goes Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) and video on demand reaches 900 million subscriptions worldwide, states global tech market advisory firm, ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Khin Sandi Lynn, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
SiTune introduces TV tuner for mobile ATSC 3.0 and 5G Broadcast
Dec 11, 2019 – SiTune has announced the release of an ultra-low power mobile TV tuner. The tuner, targeted at mobile handhelds including smartphones, tablets, and USB dongles, enables viewing of terrestrial digital TV content via a low power RF solution.
News categories: SiTune, Marzieh Veyseh, 5G, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Mobile, Semiconductor, Worldwide
- WOWOW licenses AI powered transcoder from Ittiam
- Latin America to add 63 million SVOD subscriptions
- VisualOn launches WatchParty co-watching solution
- Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer first vehicles with Fire TV for Auto
- Amagi CLOUDPORTXpress enables linear OTT channel creation
- U.S. pay TV providers lost over 5 million subscribers in 2020
- OTT NOW! from Stoneroos powers SportsTribal
- OTT video streaming in APAC now reaches 392 million people
- Megacable launches OTT service powered by Viaccess-Orca
- No growth expected for Latin America pay TV
- More than 150 million smart speakers sold in 2020
- LG and Sony led OLED TV gains in advanced TV market in Q4
- 63% of TV viewers in the EU5 watch ad-supported streaming
- Slow growth for OTT pay TV in Latin America
- ATEME and NPAW offer free QoE analytics to their customers
- Australia pay TV market to decline at 2.6% CAGR over next five years
- MediaTek releases 4K Smart TV IC with integrated AI processing unit
- SpotX to monetize OTT inventory for Crackle Plus
- Kaltura files for Initial Public Offering
- ANGA COM 2021 switches to online