Semiconductor (ICs, silicon IP, microchips, …) News
MediaTek TV SoC supports Dolby Vision IQ with Precision Detail
Mar 23, 2022 – MediaTek has announced that it is the first TV SoC vendor to support Dolby Vision IQ with Precision Detail. Precision Detail is a feature for TVs with Dolby Vision IQ, revealing detail in both bright and dark areas.
News categories: MediaTek, Dolby, Alex Chen, Mathias Bendull, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Smart TV, Worldwide
Realtek launches image compression DTV SoC with Imagination
Mar 10, 2022 – Imagination Technologies has announced that its IMG B-Series BXE-4-32 GPU, with IMGIC image compression technology, has been integrated into Realtek's latest SoC, RTD2885N, and is currently shipping into significant digital television brands.
News categories: Imagination Technologies, Realtek, Maxwell Lin, Yee-Wei Huang, Digital TV, Silicon IP, Smart TV, Worldwide
Global semiconductor sales, units shipped at all-time highs in 2021
Feb 14, 2022 – The Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) has announced that global semiconductor industry sales totaled $555.9 billion in 2021, the highest-ever annual total and an increase of 26.2% compared to the 2020 total of $440.4 billion.
News categories: Semiconductor Industry Association, John Neuffer, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
EU proposes Chips Act to support semiconductor security of supply
Feb 8, 2022 – The European Commission has proposed a set of measures, the Chips Act, to ensure the EU's security of supply, resilience and technological leadership in semiconductor technologies and applications.
News categories: European Commission, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor
ADB strengthens cooperation with MediaTek
Feb 8, 2022 – ADB has once again selected MediaTek as a chipset provider for its hybrid DVB / IPTV and OTT STB platforms. The ADB devices will be equipped with the high performance MT5751A (K8) SoC from MediaTek.
News categories: ADB, MediaTek, Krzysztof Biliński, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
NVIDIA’s acquisition of Arm called off
Feb 8, 2022 – NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) and SoftBank have announced the termination of the previously announced transaction whereby NVIDIA would acquire Arm from SoftBank. The parties agreed to terminate the agreement because of significant regulatory challenges.
News categories: SoftBank, NVIDIA, Arm Limited, Masayoshi Son, Jensen Huang, Digital TV, MandA, Semiconductor, Silicon IP
Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 25.1% in 2021
Jan 19, 2022 – GLobal semiconductor revenue increased 25.1% in 2021 to total $583.5 billion, crossing the $500 billion threshold for the first time, according to Gartner. Samsung regained the top spot from Intel for the first time since 2018.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
UEI unveils low-power chip platform with energy harvesting for TV remotes
Jan 6, 2022 – Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) (NASDAQ: UEIC) has unveiled its new family of QuickSet-certified connectivity silicon products using Extreme Low-Power, energy-harvesting and high-performance technology, at CES 2022.
News categories: Universal Electronics, Arsham Hatambeiki, CES2023, Digital TV, ICs, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UX, Worldwide
NEXTGEN TV coalition highlights industry momentum at CES
Jan 5, 2022 – The coalition of U.S. broadcasters transitioning to NEXTGEN TV has applauded the plans announced during CES 2022 by Hisense and MediaTek, and new field test data recently achieved by Sony at the 'Motown 3.0 Open Test Track' in Detroit.
News categories: Pearl TV, MediaTek, Hisense, Sony Electronics, Anne Schelle, Alfred Chan, ATSC 3, CES2023, Digital TV, In-Car, Semiconductor, Smart TV, USA
- Xfinity Stream app launches on Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD
- Tencent Video available in NetRange Smart TV app store
- Gibtelecom launches new TV platform with Netgem
- izzi adds anti-piracy and extended threat defense technologies from Verimatrix
- MEO deploys Velocix CDN and cloud-native VRM platforms
- AminoOS deployed to Vodafone Iceland’s legacy Samsung STBs
- Bhimavaram Community Network chooses Skyworth for 4K RDK IPTV set-tops
- Synaptics selects Allegro DVT VVC compliance streams
- NextGen TV launches in Shreveport, LA
- Sunrise deploys Media Distillery to enhance TV user experience
- Vewd brings in-vehicle streaming to Renesas R-Car automotive chipsets
- Omdia expects pay TV & online video subscriptions to pass 3 billion in 2027
- SeaChange Advanced Advertising Platform selected by Armstrong and BEAM
- U.S. streaming video consumers becoming more price sensitive
- SES-22 to launch on June 29th
- Euronews added to ZEASN's FAST service for smart TVs
- Orange to integrate DAZN sports in Spain
- BuyDRM to provide streaming security for Samsung TV Plus
- MEASAT-3d and GSAT-24 successfully placed into orbit
- Horizon Media to trial Comscore Local TV measurement data