Digital TV News: CableLabs
Comcast first with multi-gigabit broadband powered by DOCSIS 4.0
Oct 12, 2023 – Comcast is to introduce the first residential customers to broadband powered by DOCSIS 4.0, delivering multi-gigabit symmetrical speeds to customers over the connections that already exist.
News categories: Comcast, Dave Watson, Elad Nafshi, Cable TV, DOCSIS, USA
Canadian program drives energy efficiency of new set-top boxes
Sep 21, 2022 – Since the Canadian Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement (CEEVA) for Set-Top Boxes launched in 2017, the average energy consumption of new STBs has dropped by 58%, from 116.2 kWh/yr to 48.5 kWh/yr, according to a report.
News categories: CEEVA, NRCan, Fahd Aman, Drew Leyburne, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box
U.S. STB initiative saves consumers $2 billion in energy costs
Aug 23, 2021 – An agreement between the pay TV industry and energy efficiency advocates, led by the CTA, NCTA and CableLabs, has cut energy usage of STBs by more than half in the U.S., since it was established eight years ago.
News categories: NCTA, Consumer Technology Association, Neal Goldberg, Doug Johnson, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
5G FWA to exceed 58 million subscriptions in 2026
Aug 11, 2021 – According to ABI Research, 5G Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) will be the fastest-growing residential broadband segment increasing at a CAGR of 71% to exceed 58 million subscribers by 2026.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, 5G, Broadband, Market Research, Worldwide
CTA and NCTA extend STB energy efficiency agreement to 2025
Apr 6, 2021 – The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) and NCTA have announced an extension through 2025 of the Voluntary Agreement for Ongoing Improvement to the Energy Efficiency of Set-Top Boxes.
News categories: NCTA, Consumer Technology Association, Neal Goldberg, Doug Johnson, Noah Horowitz, Jennifer Amann, Digital TV, Set Top Box, USA
SCTE•ISBE voting to combine forces with CableLabs
Nov 9, 2020 – Members of the SCTE•ISBE will be voting to combine forces with CableLabs, streamlining the cable industry’s technology-based associations by uniting its two largest engineering organizations into one.
News categories: CableLabs, SCTE•ISBE, Broadband, Cable TV, Digital TV, USA, Worldwide
MC-IF initiates moves to create a VVC patent pool
Jul 22, 2020 – The MC-IF is inviting those holding patents (or patent applications) potentially essential to the Versatile Video Codec (VVC) standard to participate in a first meeting to foster the formation of a patent pool.
News categories: MC-IF, Stephan Wenger, Jud Cary, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Licensing, Media Player, Patent, Worldwide
MediaKind enhances advertising portfolio
Apr 21, 2020 – MediaKind has announced that its Advertising and Content Distribution Rights portfolio, PRISMA, has been reconfigured with a modular feature set. PRISMA Core and PRISMA Edge provide content distribution rights definition and enforcement and targeted advertising capabilities.
News categories: MediaKind, Stuart Boorn, Advertising, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
Immersive Digital Experiences Alliance releases 1st set of specifications
Oct 9, 2019 – The Immersive Digital Experiences Alliance (IDEA) has released the first draft of royalty-free specifications for the Immersive Technology Media Format (ITMF). ITMF is a display-agnostic interchange format for conveying high-quality and complex image scenes to a wide variety of immersive displays.
News categories: Immersive Digital Experiences Alliance, Pete Ludé, Digital TV, Metaverse, Worldwide
- América Móvil increases shareholding in Telekom Austria
- Tele Columbus taps Simply.TV for advanced metadata
- AOMedia offers spatial audio specification under royalty-free license
- TheViewPoint integrates with FreeWheel
- Australia to introduce 'prominence framework' for local broadcast services
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification