Digital TV News: Digital UK
Freeview Play launches on Amazon Fire TV Edition
Oct 12, 2020 – Freeview Play is launching on selected Fire TV Edition TVs, thanks to an agreement between Digital UK and Amazon. Fire TV Edition TVs with Freeview Play will be launching later this year.
News categories: Digital UK, Amazon, Jonathan Thompson, Emma Gilmartin, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Arqiva supports Freeview Play metadata migration to the Cloud
Jul 27, 2020 – Arqiva has created a cloud-based metadata management system for Digital UK. The system supports the migration of the Freeview Play service information platform to a highly scalable public cloud infrastructure.
News categories: Arqiva, Digital UK, Laurie Patten, James Jackson, Big Data, Digital TV, UK
Freeview Play coming to Android TV
Mar 4, 2020 – Freeview Play is coming to Android TV, thanks to an agreement between Freeview and Google. The viewer experience has been developed by the organisations to ensure both prominence and discoverability for public service and advertising funded television.
News categories: Digital UK, Android, Jonathan Thompson, Shalini Govil-pai, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
SERAPHIC and CVTE offer customisable Freeview Play 4K TV solution
Jun 14, 2019 – CVTE has worked with SERAPHIC to provide a Freeview Play compliant 4K TV solution for smart TV brands targeting the UK market. CVTE and SERAPHIC together offer a customized UI for the TV brands and help them deliver competitive Freeview Play products.
News categories: SERAPHIC, CVTE, Xinwen Xue, Ziyuan Zhong, Digital TV, HbbTV, Smart TV, UK, UX
Freeview Play devices sold in UK reach five million
Dec 19, 2018 – Freeview and Digital UK have announced that the total number of Freeview Play devices sold in the UK has now surpassed five million. Freeview Play was launched in 2015 to provide viewers of the UK’s favourite TV platform with access to live, catch up and on-demand programming.
News categories: Digital UK, Freeview, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK mobile app launching in January 2019
Nov 28, 2018 – Freeview UK has announced 22nd January 2019 as the launch date of its new iOS mobile app. The app provides viewers with a one-stop-shop for the country’s most watched TV shows. An Android version will launch in early 2019.
News categories: Freeview UK, Jonathan Thompson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Freeview only major UK broadcast platform growing its viewer base
Jun 28, 2018 – Freeview is the only major UK broadcast platform which is growing its viewer base, according to Digital UK’s annual update. The report highlights progress in Digital UK’s role leading development of Freeview which remains the UK’s most widely watched television service.
News categories: Digital UK, Freeview, Jonathan Thompson, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, UK
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK adds on-demand content to its linear TV guide
Apr 26, 2018 – Freeview has launched its on-demand content showcase on Channel 100 for Freeview Play viewers. This is the first time the UK’s largest TV platform has integrated on-demand content into the linear TV guide.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
- Highest ever Samsung Smart TV sales in 3Q 2020
- Orange France delivers targeted ads with SoftAtHome video player
- Velocix unveils cloud-native video personalisation service
- DIRECTV GO now available in Brazil
- VR consumer content revenue to exceed $7 billion in 2025
- XroadMedia to power hyper-personalization at ZEE5
- Ericsson predicts 40% of mobile subscriptions in 2026 will be 5G
- Pay TV revenue in New Zealand to follow -3.1% CAGR
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- Bitmovin and OKAST team up to deliver live and VOD streaming
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic