Digital TV News: European Parliament
Iliad announces intention to acquire Poland's Play
Sep 21, 2020 – The Strategy Committee of HoldCo and the Board of Directors of iliad have approved the launch of a public tender offer for all of the shares making up the capital of the Polish telecom operator, Play.
News categories: iliad, Play, Thomas Reynaud, Jean-Marc Harion, Digital TV, IPTV, MandA, Poland
EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
Dec 13, 2018 – EU negotiators have agreed on proposed copyright legislation for TV and radio programmes. The new rules will make it easier for European broadcasters to make programmes available on their live TV or catch-up services online, and will simplify distribution by retransmission operators.
News categories: European Commission, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
EU agrees proposal for revised Audiovisual Media Services Directive
Apr 26, 2018 – The European Parliament, Council and Commission have reached a preliminary political agreement on the main elements of revised rules to apply to audiovisual media across Europe.
News categories: European Commission, European Parliament, European Council, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
EU Court of Justice says offering copies of TV programmes in the cloud must be authorised by the copyright holder
Nov 29, 2017 – VCAST makes available to its customers via the internet recordings of Italian terrestrial TV programmes. The Court of Justice was asked whether VCAST’s service, provided without the consent of the copyright owner or holder of related rights, is compatible with the EU's Copyright Directive.
News categories: Court of Justice, Digital TV, EU, Italy, OTT, Regulation, UK
EBU urges EU policy makers to set out clear privacy rules for audience measurement
Jun 21, 2017 – As the European Parliament examines future ePrivacy Regulation, the EBU has expressed concern at potential restrictions on the ability of third parties to gather audience measurement data on behalf of broadcasters.
News categories: EBU, Big Data, Digital TV, EU, Market Research, Regulation
European Council proposes revised directive on audiovisual media services
May 23, 2017 – The European Council has proposed a revised directive on audiovisual media services. The main elements are: the same rules will apply to both TV broadcasting and on-demand services; more effective procedures to deal with cross-border services are provided; and promotion of European works will also apply to on-demand service providers.
News categories: European Council, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
EU adopts rules to allow OTT roaming
May 18, 2017 – EU citizens with subscriptions for online films and TV will soon be able to access their content while temporarily in another EU country. The new rules will remove restrictions so that EU citizens can use online services while in another EU country for holidays, studies or business.
News categories: European Parliament, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
EU agrees portability rules for online subscriptions
Feb 7, 2017 – Europeans will soon be able to fully use their online subscriptions to films, sports events, e-books, video games or music services when travelling within the EU, according to an agreement reached by negotiators of the European Parliament, the Member States and the European Commission.
News categories: European Commission, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
Qualcomm, Nokia and Yle demo LTE Supplemental Downlink in a TV Broadcast Band
Sep 2, 2016 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ: QCOM), Nokia and Finnish broadcasting company, Yle, have announced have conducted the world's first demonstration of the LTE Supplemental Downlink (SDL) technology in a TV broadcast band.
News categories: Qualcomm, Nokia, Yle, European Commission, Enrico Salvatori, Stephan Litjens, Lauri Kivinen, Roberto Viola, Broadband, Digital TV, Finland, Mobile, Terrestrial
- Sky UK extends satellite capacity contract with SES
- AMC Networks and OMG complete first U.S. addressable campaign
- ENGINE launches cookieless data solutions for CTV and omnichannel media
- CEVA MotionEngine Smart TV software part of LG webOS
- Brazil's MultTV upgrades IPTV system with Beenius
- Bharti Airtel enters Ad Tech industry with Airtel Ads
- Broadpeak upgrades BkYou ad personalization solution
- Nigeria sets-up Digital Switch Over task force
- LG opens webOS Smart TV platform to other TV brands
- Cloud gaming to have huge impact on games distribution
- SpotX to serve as supply-side platform for Redbox
- Vestel brings Twitch to Smart TVs across Europe
- Cablenet rolls-out Amino STBs in Cyprus
- North American pay TV subscriber losses to slow
- discovery+ subscribers now number more than 11 million
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 133,000 in 4Q 2020
- Accedo acquires Hibox
- VIZIO Ads launches frequency control for Smart TV advertisers
- DVB approves DVB-TA watermarking and DVB Home Broadcast specs
- Roku releases 4Q 2020 results