Digital TV News: European Parliament
EU proposes new cybersecurity rules for hardware and software products
Sep 15, 2022 – The European Commission has presented a proposal for a Cyber Resilience Act. It introduces mandatory cybersecurity requirements for products with digital elements, throughout their whole lifecycle.
News categories: European Commission, Digital TV, EU, Hardware, Regulation, Software
EU proposes Chips Act to support semiconductor security of supply
Feb 8, 2022 – The European Commission has proposed a set of measures, the Chips Act, to ensure the EU's security of supply, resilience and technological leadership in semiconductor technologies and applications.
News categories: European Commission, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor
JW Player acquires VUALTO
May 6, 2021 – JW Player has announced that it is acquiring VUALTO to complement its scalable video delivery offering with live streaming and DRM services for broadcasters. VUALTO will also expand JW Player’s customer base.
News categories: JW Player, VUALTO, Dave Otten, Camilla Young, DRM, MandA, Media Player, Worldwide
Iliad announces intention to acquire Poland's Play
Sep 21, 2020 – The Strategy Committee of HoldCo and the Board of Directors of iliad have approved the launch of a public tender offer for all of the shares making up the capital of the Polish telecom operator, Play.
News categories: iliad, Play, Thomas Reynaud, Jean-Marc Harion, Digital TV, IPTV, MandA, Poland
EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
Dec 13, 2018 – EU negotiators have agreed on proposed copyright legislation for TV and radio programmes. The new rules will make it easier for European broadcasters to make programmes available on their live TV or catch-up services online, and will simplify distribution by retransmission operators.
News categories: European Commission, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Streaming
EU agrees proposal for revised Audiovisual Media Services Directive
Apr 26, 2018 – The European Parliament, Council and Commission have reached a preliminary political agreement on the main elements of revised rules to apply to audiovisual media across Europe.
News categories: European Commission, European Parliament, European Council, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
EU Court of Justice says offering copies of TV programmes in the cloud must be authorised by the copyright holder
Nov 29, 2017 – VCAST makes available to its customers via the internet recordings of Italian terrestrial TV programmes. The Court of Justice was asked whether VCAST’s service, provided without the consent of the copyright owner or holder of related rights, is compatible with the EU's Copyright Directive.
News categories: Court of Justice, Digital TV, EU, Italy, Regulation, Streaming, UK
EBU urges EU policy makers to set out clear privacy rules for audience measurement
Jun 21, 2017 – As the European Parliament examines future ePrivacy Regulation, the EBU has expressed concern at potential restrictions on the ability of third parties to gather audience measurement data on behalf of broadcasters.
News categories: EBU, Big Data, Digital TV, EU, Market Research, Regulation
European Council proposes revised directive on audiovisual media services
May 23, 2017 – The European Council has proposed a revised directive on audiovisual media services. The main elements are: the same rules will apply to both TV broadcasting and on-demand services; more effective procedures to deal with cross-border services are provided; and promotion of European works will also apply to on-demand service providers.
News categories: European Council, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December