Digital TV News: Streaming Media
JPIX and Qwilt partner on streaming media delivery in Japan
Nov 15, 2022 – Qwilt has announced a partnership with Japan Internet Exchange (JPIX) to improve the quality and delivery capacity of live streaming, VOD and media applications across Japan using Qwilt's open caching technology.
News categories: Qwilt, JPIX, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, Streaming
Amazon upgrades Fire TV Cube and Alexa Voice Remote
Sep 28, 2022 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has announced upgrades to its Fire TV family, including the next generation Fire TV Cube streaming media player, and Alexa Voice Remote Pro, a premium remote with Remote Finder and customizable buttons.
News categories: Amazon, Daniel Rausch, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming, USA
Half of Americans struggle to find where to watch streaming content
Sep 13, 2022 – Research conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Plex reveals that the average American has 13 TV shows and 16 movies on their watchlist to get through — averaging a total of 104 hours — which is enough content to last two whole flights around the world.
News categories: Plex, Jason Williams, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Xperi shows TiVo OS, plus pay TV and Vewd solutions for operators, at IBC
Sep 9, 2022 – At IBC 2022, Xperi (NASDAQ: XPER) has announced solutions for pay-TV operators that combine the best of TiVo OS and Vewd, establishing Xperi as a leading independent media platform for Smart TVs, connected cars and pay-TV operators.
News categories: Xperi, Gabriel Cosgrave, Chris Ambrozic, Digital TV, IBC2022, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UX, Worldwide
ACT Fibernet launches OTT aggregation platform, YuppTV Scope
Aug 25, 2022 – ACT Fibernet has launched an OTT aggregation service with YuppTV. YuppTV Scope is a single-subscription OTT streaming platform with an extensive bouquet of live TV channels, that removes the need to access and manage multiple apps.
News categories: YuppTV, ACT Fibernet, Uday Reddy, Ravi Karthik, Digital TV, India, Streaming
Qwilt CDN technology rolling out to NCTC member networks across the US
Jul 20, 2022 – The NCTC and Qwilt have announced progress on an initiative to create a nationwide federated CDN. As of June 2022, 100+ NCTC members have signed up to deploy this upgrade in their networks, and the program is still open for qualifying members.
News categories: Qwilt, National Cable Television Cooperativ, Alon Maor, Jared Baumann, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, USA
FreeCast to launch app-less streaming platform in winter 2022
Jul 8, 2022 – FreeCast has revealed that it's working on a content provider side app-free streaming platform. The company aims to create an aggregation point for content from multiple providers but without the need for new hardware or depending on an app-based model.
News categories: FreeCast, William Mobley, Content Distribution, Digital TV, UX, Worldwide
Vewd acquired by Xperi
Jul 5, 2022 – Xperi (NASDAQ: XPER) has acquired Vewd Software for $109 million. The acquisition establishes Xperi as a leading independent streaming media platform through its TiVo brand and the largest independent provider of Smart TV middleware globally.
News categories: Xperi, Vewd, Jon Kirchner, Aneesh Rajaram, Digital TV, MandA, Middleware, Smart TV, TV OS, UX, Worldwide
Irdeto announces results for its 2022 financial year
Jun 23, 2022 – Irdeto has announced results for its 2022 financial year. Irdeto Video Entertainment continued to grow its global footprint, bringing new innovations to the market and supporting the needs of its customers.
News categories: Irdeto, Doug Lowther, Advertising, Android TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, RDK, Results, Set Top Box, Worldwide
- TF1 implements Irdeto Control to protect World Cup streams
- Premium online video rebounds in Southeast Asia
- Magyar Telekom selects ThinkAnalytics for content discovery and targeted promotions
- NextGen TV launches on seven local TV stations in Birmingham, AL
- Helwa TV channel launches on Arabsat's BADR-6
- Discovery+ launches on DIRECTV and DIRECTV STREAM
- AWS Clean Rooms launched
- Prime Video heads Parks Associates list of top U.S. SVOD services
- VIDAA brings football to Google TV and Android TV
- Deloitte predicts ads on all streaming services
- Hybrid AVOD/SVOD to drive major subscription platforms
- Consumer VR shipments in China to approach 7 million units in 2026
- Tulix and WiseDV power Hollywire CTV channel on Samsung TV Plus
- Pluto TV debuts in Canada
- Disney Clean Room technology integrated with VideoAmp
- Smart TV shipments in India up 38% YoY in Q3 2022
- VR device shipments to bounce back in 2023
- Seven Network partners with Imagine Communications
- Fixed Wireless Access forecast to top 300 million connections in six years
- Breezeline expands fiber services in New Hampshire