Digital TV News: Thales
EUTELSAT 10B satellite enters service
Jul 24, 2023 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) has announced the entry into service of EUTELSAT 10B at 10° East. The satellite will ensure continuity of video services when EUTELSAT 10A reaches end-of-life.
News categories: Eutelsat, Cyril Dujardin, Laurence Delpy, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Satellite
Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
Jun 6, 2023 – When hosted on Thales' inflight entertainment system, Netskrt's edge CDN will provide content caching for streaming of direct-to-consumer content to seatback screens and personal devices.
News categories: Netskrt, Thales, Sig Luft, Kurt Weidemeyer, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
Eutelsat decommissions EUTELSAT 5 West A
Jan 19, 2023 – Initially designed for a 15-year lifetime, EUTELSAT 5 West A satellite has retired after 20+ years of operation. Transfer of services to EUTELSAT 5 West B and other Eutelsat satellites, was begun in January 2020.
News categories: Eutelsat, Eva Berneke, James Matthews, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, France, Satellite
SES-22 to launch on June 29th
Jun 24, 2022 – SES has announced that SES-22 is currently being prepared for launch. Built by Thales Alenia Space, SES-22 will operate in the 135°W orbital slot delivering TV and radio to millions of American homes, along with other data transmission services.
News categories: SES S.A, Thales, SpaceX, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, USA
SES orders SES-26 satellite from Thales Alenia Space
Mar 28, 2022 – SES has ordered SES-26, a fully software-defined geostationary (GEO) satellite, from Thales Alenia Space. The digital satellite with both Ku-band and C-band frequencies will replace SES's NSS-12 satellite at 57° East.
News categories: SES S.A, Thales, Steve Collar, Hervé Derrey, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Satellite
Dataxis reports on fixed satellite communication market
Dec 15, 2021 – According to Dataxis, after years of significant growth, the decline in traditional video activity in the most developed countries is being sustained. Some regions are still appealing for satellite video however, most particularly Africa and MENA, as well as Asia-Pacific.
News categories: Dataxis, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Worldwide
SES orders two Ku-band satellites for 19.2° East
Nov 22, 2021 – SES has ordered two geostationary (GEO) Ku-band satellites for its prime orbital slot at 19.2 degrees East to maintain the premium services it provides to its European video customers and to capture new opportunities in the region.
News categories: SES S.A, Thales, Steve Collar, Hervé Derrey, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Satellite
Express-80 and Express-103 satellites launched
Aug 3, 2020 – Two satellites, Express-80 and Express-103, ordered by the Russian Satellite Communications Company, have been launched from Baikonur cosmodrome. Full-scale functioning is scheduled to commence in January and February 2021.
News categories: RSCC, Yuri Prokhorov, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Russia, Satellite
SaT5G project demonstrates 5G over satellite use cases
Jun 19, 2019 – The SaT5G project has announced the operation of a number of successful demonstrations of 5G over satellite at the 2019 European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC 2019) in Valencia, Spain.
News categories: SaT5G, Mike Fitch, Indran Sivarajah, 5G, Content Distribution, Satellite, Spain, Worldwide
- Barb awards metadata, interim overnight programme and commercial logs contracts
- FreeWheel and OrkaTV bring FAST channel access to advertisers
- América Móvil increases shareholding in Telekom Austria
- Tele Columbus taps Simply.TV for advanced metadata
- AOMedia offers spatial audio specification under royalty-free license
- TheViewPoint integrates with FreeWheel
- Australia to introduce 'prominence framework' for local broadcast services
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue