Digital TV News: VR Video
Consumer VR shipments in China to approach 7 million units in 2026
Nov 25, 2022 – According to IDC, consumer standalone VR shipments in China increased by 166.2% year-over-year in the H1 2022. China standalone VR in Q1 2022 reached 229,000 units shipped, while Q2 2022 had almost 273,000 units shipped.
News categories: IDC, Claire Zhao, China, Gaming, Market Research, Metaverse
Accedo and Nreal bring streaming to lightweight AR glasses
Oct 21, 2021 – Accedo has partnered with Nreal to deliver Extended Reality (XR) viewing for video consumers. The partnership enables OTT providers to bring content to Nreal’s lightweight AR glasses.
News categories: Accedo, Nreal, Michael Lantz, Peng Jin, Digital TV, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
InterDigital announces completion of VVC and V-PCC MPEG standards
Dec 17, 2020 – InterDigital (NASDAQ: IDCC) has announced the finalization of the VVC and V-PCC video standards. VVC improves HEVC performance by 50%, while V-PCC is the first MPEG compression standard for dynamic point cloud content for immersive video experiences.
News categories: InterDigital, Lionel Oisel, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Metaverse, Worldwide
Worldwide spending on AR/VR to deliver strong growth through 2024
Nov 17, 2020 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to accelerate out of the pandemic, growing from just over $12.0 billion this year to $72.8 billion in 2024, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Stacey Soohoo, Tom Mainelli, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
Dec 3, 2019 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) [NASDAQ: AMZN] has announced AWS Wavelength. Wavelength embeds AWS compute and storage services at the edge of telecommunications providers’ 5G networks, enabling developers to serve use-cases that require ultra-low latency.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, Matt Garman, 5G, Content Distribution, Worldwide
£10bn growth forecast for UK entertainment & media sector by 2023
Jun 6, 2019 – The growing range of video streaming services available to viewers; demand for internet access and business spend on internet advertising will drive the UK’s entertainment and media sector to grow by £10bn over the next five years, according to PwC.
News categories: PwC, Mark Maitland, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Commercial and Public Sector investments to drive AR/VR spending
Jun 4, 2019 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to reach $160 billion in 2023, up significantly from the $16.8 billion forecast for 2019. According to IDC, the five-year CAGR for AR/VR spending will be 78.3%.
News categories: IDC, Tom Mainelli, Marcus Torchia, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Streaming Video Alliance publishes documents on ad delivery for OTT and 360°/VR
Sep 14, 2018 – The Streaming Video Alliance has announced the availability of two newly approved documents. The documents cover advertisement delivery across OTT and the current state of 360-degree video and best practices
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Jason Thibeault, Mourad Kioumgi, Brian Stevenson, Ori Finkelman, Eric Klein, Advertising, Digital TV, IBC2022, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
DOCOMO develops 360° 8K VR live video streaming and viewing system
Jul 5, 2018 – NTT DOCOMO has announced that it has developed what is believed to be the world's first 8K VR live streaming and viewing system for showing events in 360° 8K VR video. A head-mounted system creates highly realistic VR experiences.
News categories: NTT DOCOMO, Digital TV, Japan, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
- Prime Video heads Parks Associates list of top U.S. SVOD services
- VIDAA brings football to Google TV and Android TV
- Deloitte predicts ads on all streaming services
- Hybrid AVOD/SVOD to drive major subscription platforms
- Consumer VR shipments in China to approach 7 million units in 2026
- Tulix and WiseDV power Hollywire CTV channel on Samsung TV Plus
- Pluto TV debuts in Canada
- Disney Clean Room technology integrated with VideoAmp
- Smart TV shipments in India up 38% YoY in Q3 2022
- VR device shipments to bounce back in 2023
- Seven Network partners with Imagine Communications
- Fixed Wireless Access forecast to top 300 million connections in six years
- Breezeline expands fiber services in New Hampshire
- U.S. consumers watch over six hours of video per week on their mobiles
- Semiconductor market expected to decline slightly in 2023
- 6G-Datacast.tv offers datacasting protocol for ATSC 3.0
- Bedrock powers RTL streaming service in Hungary
- KONKA plans GCC region expansion
- Dyn Media chooses Deltatre to deliver end-to-end OTT service
- Globecast providing cloud playout and distribution for EarthxTV