Digital TV News: VR Video
InterDigital announces completion of VVC and V-PCC MPEG standards
Dec 17, 2020 – InterDigital (NASDAQ: IDCC) has announced the finalization of the VVC and V-PCC video standards. VVC improves HEVC performance by 50%, while V-PCC is the first MPEG compression standard for dynamic point cloud content for immersive video experiences.
News categories: InterDigital, Lionel Oisel, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, VR, Worldwide
Worldwide spending on AR/VR to deliver strong growth through 2024
Nov 17, 2020 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to accelerate out of the pandemic, growing from just over $12.0 billion this year to $72.8 billion in 2024, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Stacey Soohoo, Tom Mainelli, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
Dec 3, 2019 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) [NASDAQ: AMZN] has announced AWS Wavelength. Wavelength embeds AWS compute and storage services at the edge of telecommunications providers’ 5G networks, enabling developers to serve use-cases that require ultra-low latency.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, Matt Garman, 5G, Content Distribution, Worldwide
£10bn growth forecast for UK entertainment & media sector by 2023
Jun 6, 2019 – The growing range of video streaming services available to viewers; demand for internet access and business spend on internet advertising will drive the UK’s entertainment and media sector to grow by £10bn over the next five years, according to PwC.
News categories: PwC, Mark Maitland, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Commercial and Public Sector investments to drive AR/VR spending
Jun 4, 2019 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to reach $160 billion in 2023, up significantly from the $16.8 billion forecast for 2019. According to IDC, the five-year CAGR for AR/VR spending will be 78.3%.
News categories: IDC, Tom Mainelli, Marcus Torchia, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Streaming Video Alliance publishes documents on ad delivery for OTT and 360°/VR
Sep 14, 2018 – The Streaming Video Alliance has announced the availability of two newly approved documents. The documents cover advertisement delivery across OTT and the current state of 360-degree video and best practices
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Jason Thibeault, Mourad Kioumgi, Brian Stevenson, Ori Finkelman, Eric Klein, Advertising, Digital TV, IBC, Streaming, VR, Worldwide
DOCOMO develops 360° 8K VR live video streaming and viewing system
Jul 5, 2018 – NTT DOCOMO has announced that it has developed what is believed to be the world's first 8K VR live streaming and viewing system for showing events in 360° 8K VR video. A head-mounted system creates highly realistic VR experiences.
News categories: NTT DOCOMO, Digital TV, Japan, Streaming, VR, Worldwide
NBCUniversal to produce VR content for YouTube
Apr 30, 2018 – NBCUniversal has teamed up with Google to produce VR content that gives audiences a unique way to experience some of their favorite networks and shows. They’ll be made available on YouTube, and can be viewed on the web or using any mobile phone.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Google, Ron Lamprecht, Amit Singh, Digital TV, Streaming, VR, Worldwide
WheresMyMedia and VR Video bring VR to ATSC 3.0
Jan 5, 2018 – VR Video and WheresMyMedia have announced LiveWorks, a project to bring AR, VR and Live 360 Video to broadcast. ATSC 3.0 is paving the way for next-generation television services such as the LiveWorks broadcasting platform.
News categories: WheresMyMedia, VR Video, William Steele, Edwin Rogers, Sam Matheny, ATSC 3, Digital TV, NABShow, Terrestrial, USA, VR
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way
- Sofia Digital working on a central service list registry for DVB-I
- Sony Pictures Networks India and Zee Entertainment negotiating merger
- Roku's Shopify app enables small business TV ad campaigns
- Americans move from bingeing on TV to social media in 2021
- VideoElephant makes 150 linear video channels available for licensing
- Android TV in 25% of advanced set-top boxes
- Pure TV launches in Ireland based on the Netgem TV platform
- FreeWheel and Strategus unlock access to CTV inventory
- SVOD subscriptions in Eastern Europe to double
- Roku introduces 4K and 4K+ streaming sticks