Digital TV News: VR Video
Accedo and Nreal bring streaming to lightweight AR glasses
Oct 21, 2021 – Accedo has partnered with Nreal to deliver Extended Reality (XR) viewing for video consumers. The partnership enables OTT providers to bring content to Nreal’s lightweight AR glasses.
News categories: Accedo, Nreal, Michael Lantz, Peng Jin, Digital TV, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
InterDigital announces completion of VVC and V-PCC MPEG standards
Dec 17, 2020 – InterDigital (NASDAQ: IDCC) has announced the finalization of the VVC and V-PCC video standards. VVC improves HEVC performance by 50%, while V-PCC is the first MPEG compression standard for dynamic point cloud content for immersive video experiences.
News categories: InterDigital, Lionel Oisel, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Metaverse, Worldwide
Worldwide spending on AR/VR to deliver strong growth through 2024
Nov 17, 2020 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to accelerate out of the pandemic, growing from just over $12.0 billion this year to $72.8 billion in 2024, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Stacey Soohoo, Tom Mainelli, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
Dec 3, 2019 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) [NASDAQ: AMZN] has announced AWS Wavelength. Wavelength embeds AWS compute and storage services at the edge of telecommunications providers’ 5G networks, enabling developers to serve use-cases that require ultra-low latency.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, Matt Garman, 5G, Content Distribution, Worldwide
£10bn growth forecast for UK entertainment & media sector by 2023
Jun 6, 2019 – The growing range of video streaming services available to viewers; demand for internet access and business spend on internet advertising will drive the UK’s entertainment and media sector to grow by £10bn over the next five years, according to PwC.
News categories: PwC, Mark Maitland, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Commercial and Public Sector investments to drive AR/VR spending
Jun 4, 2019 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to reach $160 billion in 2023, up significantly from the $16.8 billion forecast for 2019. According to IDC, the five-year CAGR for AR/VR spending will be 78.3%.
News categories: IDC, Tom Mainelli, Marcus Torchia, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Streaming Video Alliance publishes documents on ad delivery for OTT and 360°/VR
Sep 14, 2018 – The Streaming Video Alliance has announced the availability of two newly approved documents. The documents cover advertisement delivery across OTT and the current state of 360-degree video and best practices
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Jason Thibeault, Mourad Kioumgi, Brian Stevenson, Ori Finkelman, Eric Klein, Advertising, Digital TV, IBC2022, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
DOCOMO develops 360° 8K VR live video streaming and viewing system
Jul 5, 2018 – NTT DOCOMO has announced that it has developed what is believed to be the world's first 8K VR live streaming and viewing system for showing events in 360° 8K VR video. A head-mounted system creates highly realistic VR experiences.
News categories: NTT DOCOMO, Digital TV, Japan, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
NBCUniversal to produce VR content for YouTube
Apr 30, 2018 – NBCUniversal has teamed up with Google to produce VR content that gives audiences a unique way to experience some of their favorite networks and shows. They’ll be made available on YouTube, and can be viewed on the web or using any mobile phone.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Google, Ron Lamprecht, Amit Singh, Digital TV, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
- Discovery+ launching on Sling TV and Dish TV
- FAST Channels TV provides linear channels for Digital TV Cyprus OTT platform
- Video streaming services lost further playtime per user in H1 2022
- BARB releases Establishment Survey data for the UK for Q2 2022
- Simulmedia and TiVo renew data-licensing partnership
- Paramount+ joins Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions lineup
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 85,000 in 2Q 2022
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 257,000 in 2Q 2022
- Over six million Android TV OS deployments for iWedia
- RTL Deutschland and Seven.One Entertainment to create addressable TV JV
- Charter residential video customers down 240,000 in 2Q 2022
- Access Advance adds further patent owners
- Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes
- ADTH introduces ultra-compact USB ATSC 3.0 receiver
- ATSC 3.0-in-a-box from ENENSYS and Ateme powers WCRN Boston NEXTGEN TV
- Sinclair partners with Korean broadcasters to further NextGen broadcasting
- Linear TV viewing down as online long form viewing time continues to grow
- Auton and Anywave launch ATSC 3.0 broadcast internet test lab in Oregon
- OAN expands CTV reach with NetRange
- Liberty Global, Telefónica, InfraVia Capital to build fibre network in the UK