Digital TV News: Digital UK
BBC, ITV and Channel 4 plan to integrate Digital UK and Freesat
Feb 10, 2021 – The BBC, ITV and Channel 4 plan to integrate Digital UK, the joint venture which facilitates the provision of Freeview TV, with Freesat, which offers access to the UK's subscription-free satellite TV service.
News categories: Digital UK, Freesat, Jonathan Thompson, Alistair Thom, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview Play launches on Amazon Fire TV Edition
Oct 12, 2020 – Freeview Play is launching on selected Fire TV Edition TVs, thanks to an agreement between Digital UK and Amazon. Fire TV Edition TVs with Freeview Play will be launching later this year.
News categories: Digital UK, Amazon, Jonathan Thompson, Emma Gilmartin, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Arqiva supports Freeview Play metadata migration to the Cloud
Jul 27, 2020 – Arqiva has created a cloud-based metadata management system for Digital UK. The system supports the migration of the Freeview Play service information platform to a highly scalable public cloud infrastructure.
News categories: Arqiva, Digital UK, Laurie Patten, James Jackson, Big Data, Digital TV, UK
Freeview Play coming to Android TV
Mar 4, 2020 – Freeview Play is coming to Android TV, thanks to an agreement between Freeview and Google. The viewer experience has been developed by the organisations to ensure both prominence and discoverability for public service and advertising funded television.
News categories: Digital UK, Android, Jonathan Thompson, Shalini Govil-pai, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
SERAPHIC and CVTE offer customisable Freeview Play 4K TV solution
Jun 14, 2019 – CVTE has worked with SERAPHIC to provide a Freeview Play compliant 4K TV solution for smart TV brands targeting the UK market. CVTE and SERAPHIC together offer a customized UI for the TV brands and help them deliver competitive Freeview Play products.
News categories: SERAPHIC, CVTE, Xinwen Xue, Ziyuan Zhong, Digital TV, HbbTV, Smart TV, UK, UX
Freeview Play devices sold in UK reach five million
Dec 19, 2018 – Freeview and Digital UK have announced that the total number of Freeview Play devices sold in the UK has now surpassed five million. Freeview Play was launched in 2015 to provide viewers of the UK’s favourite TV platform with access to live, catch up and on-demand programming.
News categories: Digital UK, Freeview, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK mobile app launching in January 2019
Nov 28, 2018 – Freeview UK has announced 22nd January 2019 as the launch date of its new iOS mobile app. The app provides viewers with a one-stop-shop for the country’s most watched TV shows. An Android version will launch in early 2019.
News categories: Freeview UK, Jonathan Thompson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Freeview only major UK broadcast platform growing its viewer base
Jun 28, 2018 – Freeview is the only major UK broadcast platform which is growing its viewer base, according to Digital UK’s annual update. The report highlights progress in Digital UK’s role leading development of Freeview which remains the UK’s most widely watched television service.
News categories: Digital UK, Freeview, Jonathan Thompson, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, UK
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
- NEXTGEN TV comes to Grand Rapids, MI
- Polestar develops streaming app for Polestar 2 cars in Europe
- JW Player acquires VUALTO
- 3SS powers TCC Android TV service on SDMC STBs
- du partners with ATEME on OTT and DTH projects
- Beachfront completes OAR-compliant ad trial on VIZIO TVs
- Peach launches global ad distribution platform
- India sees huge headroom for growth in TV and digital
- Sinclair unifies ad sales with Operative Media
- Dominant share for MediaTek in smart speaker market
- Connected TV continues to drive U.S. digital video ad growth
- VBox announces ATSC 3.0 Android TV Gateway
- Small growth in global pay TV subscribers to 2026
- Brightcove powers Studio Mojo's ‘Koode’ OTT service
- Vivendi, Fininvest and Mediaset end their disputes
- fuboTV partners with LiveRamp on addressable ad targeting
- Verizon Media to be acquired by Apollo funds
- Stoneroos acquired by NEP The Netherlands
- AirConsole casual gaming for TrueID TV Box users in Thailand
- Charter residential video customers down 156,000 in 1Q 2021