Digital TV News: Freeview
DTG releases D-Book 12.8
Oct 31, 2023 – The DTG has released D-Book 12.8 – the latest update to the technical specification for all digital terrestrial television products and services in the UK market.
News categories: DTG, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Content Distribution, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
JVC Roku TV models launch in the UK at Currys
Oct 4, 2023 – Roku has announced a range of Roku TV models with Currys-owned brand JVC. Combining quality hardware with the Roku OS, the TVs deliver a seamless streaming experience at competitive prices.
News categories: Roku, Currys, Bart Bomers, Paul Slater, Digital TV, Smart TV, TV OS, UK
UK PSBs developing broadband-delivered free TV service
Sep 18, 2023 – Britain's broadcasters are developing a free TV service that will deliver live TV over broadband. Set for launch in 2024, the Freely service will be built-in to the next generation of smart TVs.
News categories: Everyone TV, Jonathan Thompson, Tim Davie, Dame Carolyn McCall, Alex Mahon, Maria Kyriacou, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, UK
National World taps Simplestream to launch Shots! TV channel
Aug 15, 2023 – National World has chosen Simplestream to provide the tech stack for the launch of Shots!, a new TV brand. Simplestream deployed its Channel Studio to create the Shots! TV channel in the cloud.
News categories: Simplestream, National World, Josh Harrington, Alan Renwick, Advertising, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, UK
Polaroid Roku TV models launch at Asda in the U.K.
Jul 20, 2023 – Polaroid Roku TV models have arrived at Asda in the U.K. The HD and 4K TVs combine Polaroid hardware with Roku's OS to deliver a best-in-class streaming experience at an accessible price.
News categories: Roku, Asda, Polaroid, Bart Bomers, Joanna Stenhouse, Digital TV, Smart TV, TV OS, UK
Connect Fibre ISP adds TV service with Netgem
Jul 5, 2023 – Netgem has announced that it will be powering Connect Fibre TV's new TV service in the UK, based on Netgem's streaming solution for ISPs and delivered through Netgem's 4K TV box.
News categories: Netgem, Connect Fibre, Sylvain Thevenot, Deryck Shepherd, Content Distribution, Finance, IPTV, Set Top Box, UK
Currys becomes exclusive retail partner for Sky Stream
Jul 4, 2023 – Currys has become the exclusive retail partner for Sky Stream, enabling demonstration of the satellite-free streaming device, which will be on display in Currys' stores in the UK.
News categories: Currys, Sky, Ed Connolly, Stephen van Rooyen, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming, UK
Planetcast to showcase distribution technologies at NAB Show 2023
Apr 12, 2023 – Planetcast will feature its suite of products, from Cloud Playout to Media Asset Management (MAM) to Free Ad-supported Streaming TV (FAST) to Over-the-top (OTT) streaming at NAB 2023.
News categories: Planetcast, Switch Media, Sanjay Duda, Mark Johns, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, Streaming, Worldwide
Freeview channels move into the cloud with BT
Mar 9, 2023 – The contract between BT and D3&4 has seen BT switch on cloud processing for regionalised TV across all of D3&4's Freeview channels – ready for distribution to regions across the UK.
News categories: BT, Faisal Mahomed, Greg Bensberg, Content Distribution, Digital TV, UK
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification
- Bouygues Telecom streams video in Multicast ABR with Broadpeak
- iWedia releases test solution for HbbTV device compliance
- Utomik to bring cloud gaming to VIDAA Smart TVs
- Avid provides Iceland's RÚV with ingest and playout solution
- Global pay TV penetration to fall for the first time in 2024