Digital TV News: Freeview
Freeview Play and LG agree new five-year partnership
Mar 18, 2022 – Freeview Play and LG have strengthened their partnership with a five-year agreement, meaning that all new LG TVs will come with Freeview Play built in as standard. Freeview and LG will also work together on future product updates.
News categories: Freeview Play, LG Electronics, Simon Hunt, Peter Booth, Digital TV, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
Channel 5 joins Digital UK
Dec 20, 2021 – Channel 5 has joined Digital UK, alongside BBC, ITV and Channel 4. The four public service broadcasters have entered into a new Digital UK members' agreement, marking the first time that the venture has been wholly owned by all four PSBs.
News categories: Digital UK, ViacomCBS, Channel 5, Caroline Thomson, Sarah Rose, Digital TV, Terrestrial, UK
BrawBand selects Netgem TV to bring fibre and TV bundles to Scotland
Dec 17, 2021 – BrawBand has launched a 200 channel TV offering in partnership with Netgem TV. BrawBand Customers will also have access to Freeview Play in addition to a choice of 'add on' subscription apps, all via a 4K TV Box.
News categories: Netgem, BrawBand, Shan Eisenberg, David Siegel, Digital TV, Fibre, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Box Broadband launches fibre TV service in UK with Netgem
Dec 15, 2021 – Box Broadband has launched its TV offering through a partnership with Netgem TV. Netgem TV complements the Freeview Play service with extra box sets and movies, and a choice of 'add on' subscription apps via a 4K TV Box and a mobile app.
News categories: Netgem, Box Broadband, Shan Eisenberg, Graham Sargood, Digital TV, Fibre, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview NZ to sunset On Demand service by late 2022
Dec 14, 2021 – Freeview NZ is to end Freeview On Demand by late 2022. The service is offered as an addition to Live TV on Smart TVs and STBs. The content will still be available on-demand, just accessed on broadcasters’ own apps or websites.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Digital TV, New Zealand, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UX
UK's DTG releases D-Book 12.6
Oct 28, 2021 – The DTG has announced the release of its D-Book 12.6. Previously optional, support for HbbTV now becomes mandatory in the latest version, as the transition away from MHEG continues in the UK.
News categories: DTG, HbbTV Association, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Vincent Grivet, Content Distribution, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Ten million Freeview Play users in the UK
Oct 27, 2021 – Freeview has announced that its on demand platform Freeview Play is now used in over 10 million homes. This follows over 14 million sales and cements its position as the fastest growing TV platform in the UK.
News categories: Freeview, Neema Shah, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Sky introduces Sky Glass streaming TV
Oct 7, 2021 – Sky has announced the launch of its Sky Glass streaming television. Sky Glass will be the only TV with Sky inside. With Sky Glass, subscribers can now get Sky TV over WiFi, with no satellite dish and no box.
News categories: Sky, Dana Strong, Digital TV, Smart TV, Streaming, UK
TrueVisions subscribers down 300,000 versus 2Q 2020
Aug 16, 2021 – True Group has reported results for second quarter of 2021. TruVisions has been affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. TrueID expanded its entertainment portfolio with the launch of TrueID+.
News categories: True Group, Cable TV, COVID-19, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, Subscribers, Thailand
- Bezeq signs distribution agreement for Disney+
- Synamedia acquires content discovery platform provider, Utelly
- Gracenote launches Streaming Channels Data
- Mongolia's Univision selects end-to-end solution from Viaccess-Orca
- TV5MONDE expands global reach with Harmonic cloud streaming
- SUPER RTL launch TOGGO multiscreen service enabled by 3SS
- 24i launches 24iQ personalization and recommendations service
- Great Wall Motor selects ACCESS-powered IVI system from BEAN TECH
- Infovista enables user experience testing for OTT and 5G apps and services
- UAE TV viewership research launched at CABSAT 2022
- Another record month for U.S. streaming in April
- Global OTT revenues to grow to $224 billion in 2027
- Conviva data shows double digit streaming growth worldwide
- Nielsen deduplicates audiences across Smart TV and streaming providers
- 605 extends agreement to use VIZIO ACR data
- Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
- U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G