Digital TV News: HBO Max
U.S. consumers feeling pain of streaming service fragmentation
Jun 23, 2021 – According to a Horowitz Research survey, U.S. consumers are feeling the pain of chaos (too many streaming services) and fatigue as content is unpredictably fragmented across numerous, access-restricted streams.
News categories: Horowitz Research, Adriana Waterston, Howard Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
HBO Max launches ad-supported tier
Jun 2, 2021 – HBO Max has launched an advertising-supported subscription tier. With the launch, HBO Max consumers can now choose between the existing ad-free subscription option at $14.99 per month, or one with ads for $9.99.
News categories: HBO Max, Andy Forssell, JP Colaco, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, USA
HBO Max to be available in Latin America & the Caribbean from June 29th
May 26, 2021 – HBO Max has announced that it will be available in 39 territories in Latin America and the Caribbean starting on June 29th. HBO Max will offer two subscription plans, starting from US$3 per month.
News categories: HBO Max, Johannes Larcher, Luis Durán, Caribbean, Digital TV, Latin America, OTT
HBO Max ad-supported tier to launch first week of June
May 19, 2021 – HBO Max will debut its ad-supported subscription tier the first week of June, providing consumers with a choice between its existing ad-free version at $14.99 per month, or an ad-supported experience for $9.99 per month.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Tony Goncalves, JP Colaco, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, USA
WarnerMedia and Discovery combine entertainment assets in standalone company
May 17, 2021 – AT&T (NYSE:T) and Discovery (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) have agreed to combine WarnerMedia's entertainment, sports and news assets with Discovery's non-fiction and international entertainment and sports businesses to create a standalone global entertainment company.
News categories: AT&T, Discovery, Inc, John Stankey, David Zaslav, Digital TV, MandA, OTT, USA, Worldwide
AT&T premium TV down 620k; Vrio down 383k; HBO up 3.3M video subs in 1Q 2021
Apr 22, 2021 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported results for 1Q 2021. Total U.S. premium TV connections were down 620,000 in the quarter. Vrio in Latin America lost 383,000 subscribers. Global HBO Max and HBO subscribers grew by 3.3 million.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, IPTV, Latin America, OTT, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Western Europe to have 234 million SVOD subscriptions in 2026
Apr 15, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, Western Europe will have 234 million SVOD subscriptions by 2026, up from 137 million at end-2020. Despite losing market share, Netflix will remain the largest SVOD platform.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
WarnerMedia RIDE app now available for U.S. Toyota and Lexus owners
Apr 8, 2021 – Toyota Motor North America and AT&T have announced that when connected to AT&T in-car Wi-Fi, the WarnerMedia RIDE App, featuring a selection of live and on-demand content, is now available for Toyota and Lexus owners.
News categories: Toyota, AT&T, Steve Basra, Joe Mosele, Apps, Digital TV, In-Car, OTT, USA
COVID supercharged online video and gaming consumption in 2020
Apr 6, 2021 – According to ABI Research, online video and gaming markets reached US$330 billion in 2020 - households stacked streaming video subscriptions, driving revenues to over US$69 billion, and gaming saw YoY growth of over 22%.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, COVID-19, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
- JW Player raises $100m in Series E funding
- KKStream launches Streaming-as-a-Service solutions
- Astro set-top boxes to include Netflix
- MediaKind powers UEFA Euro 2020 live coverage at MEO
- NAB shows home learning via ATSC 3.0 for students without internet
- U.S. consumers feeling pain of streaming service fragmentation
- Telefonica backs up Movistar+ infrastructure in the cloud with Harmonic
- Irdeto and INVIDI offer integrated addressable TV solution
- UEI providing Android TV remotes to Claro Colombia
- Tubi supports Unified ID 2.0 initiative
- Portugal adds 29,000 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2021
- 'Go Addressable' TV advertising initiative launched in the U.S.
- Brightcove and ByteArk partner on OTT technology in Thailand
- ATEME powers converged headend at TCCL in India
- NexPlayer joins AWS for Media & Entertainment initiative
- VuClip integrates Bitmovin video encoder on Google Cloud
- Univision to launch unified global streaming service
- View TV Group selects CommScope advertising technology
- Amino Technologies becomes Aferian
- TCL launches Roku TV models in the UK