Digital TV News: Ofcom
Half of UK homes now subscribe to TV streaming services
Aug 7, 2019 – Around half of all UK homes now subscribe to TV streaming services according to Ofcom’s Media Nations report. The number of UK households signed up to the most popular streaming platforms increased from 11.2m (39%) in 2018 to 13.3m (47%) in 2019.
News categories: Ofcom, Yih-Choung Teh, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
Ofcom publishes 2019 Communications Market Report
Jul 4, 2019 – Ofcom has published its Communications Market Report (CMR), which provides data on industry trends and consumer behaviour in the UK’s telecoms, broadcasting, post and digital markets.
News categories: Ofcom, Broadband, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Three UK to launch 5G network in August
Jun 10, 2019 – Following trials with customers in London, Three UK has announced that it will launch 5G in August with a 5G home broadband service in London. Three will then launch both mobile and home broadband offerings in 25 towns and cities across the UK before the end of the year.
News categories: Three UK, Dave Dyson, 5G, Content Distribution, Mobile, UK
Share of UK broadband households planning to cancel pay-TV has doubled
May 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that the percentage of UK broadband households stating that they are likely to cancel their pay-TV service has increased to 24% in late 2018 from 12% in late 2015. The intent to cancel is higher among households that watch online video services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
FTTH Council Europe updates FTTH/FTTB figures
Mar 14, 2019 – The latest FTTH Market Panorama prepared by IDATE has been released. The number of FTTH and FTTB subscribers in Europe has increased by 15.7% in the EU39 since September 2017 with more than 59.6 million FTTH/B subscribers in September 2018.
News categories: FTTH Council, Ronan Kelly, Europe, Fibre, Subscribers, Worldwide
BBC opens public consultation on iPlayer improvements
Jan 7, 2019 – The BBC has launched a public consultation on its plans to reinvent BBC iPlayer - making it a destination in its own right, with box sets, live programming and archive titles that champion quality UK content and offer great programmes for longer.
News categories: BBC, Charlotte Moore, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Ofcom releases 2018 UK Communications Market Report
Aug 2, 2018 – Most people in the UK are dependent on their digital devices, and need a constant connection to the internet, following a decade of digital transformation according to Ofcom’s Communications Market Report 2018.
News categories: Ofcom, Ian Macrae, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
UK: TV streaming services overtake pay TV for first time
Jul 18, 2018 – The number of UK subscriptions to television streaming services like Netflix has overtaken those to traditional pay television for the first time. The findings are part of Ofcom’s Media Nations report, a study of major trends in the UK’s television, radio and audio sectors.
News categories: Ofcom, Sharon White, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine