Digital TV News: Ofcom
Accessible TV Guide rolls out on Freeview Play
Oct 29, 2020 – Freeview has announced the first roll out of its Accessible TV Guide, now available on supported Freeview Play devices in the UK. The Guide will make it simpler for viewers with accessibility needs to discover and find content more easily.
News categories: Freeview, Simon Hunt, Gary Thomas, John Paton, Kristina Barrick, Vikki Cook, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
Aug 5, 2020 – A surge in screen time during lockdown saw UK adults spend 40% of their waking day watching TV and online video services, Ofcom has found. People spend twice as much time watching subscription streaming services: 34 minutes in 2019, and 1 hour 11 minutes in April 2020.
News categories: Ofcom, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Half of UK homes now subscribe to TV streaming services
Aug 7, 2019 – Around half of all UK homes now subscribe to TV streaming services according to Ofcom’s Media Nations report. The number of UK households signed up to the most popular streaming platforms increased from 11.2m (39%) in 2018 to 13.3m (47%) in 2019.
News categories: Ofcom, Yih-Choung Teh, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
Ofcom publishes 2019 Communications Market Report
Jul 4, 2019 – Ofcom has published its Communications Market Report (CMR), which provides data on industry trends and consumer behaviour in the UK’s telecoms, broadcasting, post and digital markets.
News categories: Ofcom, Broadband, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Three UK to launch 5G network in August
Jun 10, 2019 – Following trials with customers in London, Three UK has announced that it will launch 5G in August with a 5G home broadband service in London. Three will then launch both mobile and home broadband offerings in 25 towns and cities across the UK before the end of the year.
News categories: Three UK, Dave Dyson, 5G, Content Distribution, Mobile, UK
Share of UK broadband households planning to cancel pay-TV has doubled
May 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that the percentage of UK broadband households stating that they are likely to cancel their pay-TV service has increased to 24% in late 2018 from 12% in late 2015. The intent to cancel is higher among households that watch online video services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
FTTH Council Europe updates FTTH/FTTB figures
Mar 14, 2019 – The latest FTTH Market Panorama prepared by IDATE has been released. The number of FTTH and FTTB subscribers in Europe has increased by 15.7% in the EU39 since September 2017 with more than 59.6 million FTTH/B subscribers in September 2018.
News categories: FTTH Council, Ronan Kelly, Europe, Fibre, Subscribers, Worldwide
BBC opens public consultation on iPlayer improvements
Jan 7, 2019 – The BBC has launched a public consultation on its plans to reinvent BBC iPlayer - making it a destination in its own right, with box sets, live programming and archive titles that champion quality UK content and offer great programmes for longer.
News categories: BBC, Charlotte Moore, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Ofcom releases 2018 UK Communications Market Report
Aug 2, 2018 – Most people in the UK are dependent on their digital devices, and need a constant connection to the internet, following a decade of digital transformation according to Ofcom’s Communications Market Report 2018.
News categories: Ofcom, Ian Macrae, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
- TCL launches Roku TV models in the UK
- OTTera powers gTV by Ubisoft channel on Samsung TV Plus
- Globecast, Viaccess-Orca and MainStreaming announce end-to-end OTT platform
- Mola chooses Broadpeak CDN for live sports streaming in Indonesia
- NEXTGEN TV Broadcast Collaborative to bring ATSC 3.0 to Washington D.C.
- Ericsson publishes 2021 Mobility Report
- DataMiner manages ARD's Euro 2020 live OTT broadcasts
- Freecaster secures Live and VOD content with BuyDRM
- Conviva publishes first State of Streaming Advertising report
- TiVo signs MobiTV agreement with the NCTC
- KBS selects ATEME broadcast encoders
- Amino working with PCCW Media to renew Now TV UX
- Zappware-powered A1 Xplore TV comes to Fire TV sticks
- SES renews Comcast Technology Solutions distribution agreement
- Riivi chooses Norigin Media for Smart TV app testing
- NexStreaming releases NexPlayer for Nintendo Switch
- Elliptic Labs to trial presence detection and gestures for Smart TV
- Carbon Trust releases white paper on CO2 impact of streaming
- ZEE5 to launch in the U.S. on June 22
- Piracy still a major challenge in the Nordics