Digital TV News: Sony Corp
4K TV market to reach $380.9 billion in 2025
Jul 11, 2017 – The global 4K TV market is expected to reach $380.9 billion by 2025, according to Grand View Research. The evolving nature of the consumer electronic industry has fueled the demand for UHD televisions in the past few years.
News categories: Grand View Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
ULDAGE begins satellite UHDTV patent pool licensing
Jul 3, 2017 – ULDAGE has announced the commencement of patent licensing activities under the system of a patent pool that bundles and licenses the patents that are essential to the realization of the UHDTV satellite broadcasting standards.
News categories: ULDAGE, Digital TV, Licensing, Patent, Satellite, Worldwide
USITC to investigate STBs after Sony patent claim
Apr 12, 2017 – The U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) is to institute an investigation of certain digital cable and satellite products, including STBs, supplied to Comcast and DIRECTV that allegedly infringe patents asserted by Sony.
News categories: USITC, Cable TV, Digital TV, Patent, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
HTC takes VR lead in China, the world’s second largest market
Feb 16, 2017 – The virtual reality industry got off to a strong start in China, with around 300,000 VR headsets shipping in 2016, making it the world’s second largest market with a share of around 15%. HTC took the top spot.
News categories: Canalys, Jason Low, China, Digital TV, Market Research, VR
Sony commercializes industry's first ISDB-S3 demodulator IC and NIM
Jul 27, 2016 – Sony has announced the commercialization of the industry's first demodulator LSI and tuner modules that conform to the ISDB-S3 (Integrated Services Digital Broadcasting for Satellite, 3rd generation) standard for 4K and 8K satellite digital broadcasts.
News categories: Sony Corp, Digital TV, ICs, Japan, Satellite, Semiconductor
Media ownership: towards pan-European groups?
Jul 4, 2016 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published a report on pan-European media groups. The report outlines some of the key players, their geographical footprint, their position in a range of markets, and their most recent strategies regarding expansion, acquisition and vertical integration.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Digital TV, EU, Europe, Market Research
Samsung leads U.S. 4K TV market
Dec 2, 2015 – Parks Associates research has found that in teh U.S. up to mid-2015, more Samsung 4K TV sets were sold than any other brand. Samsung accounted for 28% of 4K TV purchases made within the last 12 months to U.S. broadband households.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
SKY Perfect JSAT to demonstrate 4K HDR via JCSAT-3A
Nov 4, 2015 – SKY Perfect JSAT has announced plans to transmit 4K HDR videos using its JCSAT-3A satellite. The demonstration will be shown at the International Broadcast Equipment Exhibition (Inter BEE), held November 18–20, 2015 at Makuhari Messe.
News categories: SKY Perfect, Shinji Takada, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
Leading TV brands now more reliant on Chinese manufacturers
Jun 22, 2015 – TVs made by outsourcing specialists are expected to reach an industry record of 43 percent of LCD TVs shipped globally in 2015, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS). Outsourcing manufacturing has become one of the most important business strategies for TV brands.
News categories: IHS Inc, Deborah Yang, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
- 3SS, Media Distillery and XroadMedia offer AI-based UX personalisation for Android TV
- Fincons Group joins Deutsche TV-Plattform
- Samba TV taps Oracle Moat to measure viewability of CTV ads
- Amazon Prime Video app added to TiVo devices at Atlantic Broadband
- TekSavvy TV launches Cloud PVR and advanced features
- CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
- US: Netflix grabs the most attention, but its reign will be challenged
- AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
- FOX selects AWS as its cloud and machine learning provider
- TiVo launches Prime Video App to its U.S. pay-TV operator customers
- KPN integrates Amazon Prime Video into the TV menu
- Vodafone UK offers Apple TV 4K with unlimited broadband and mobile data
- A1 Bulgaria launches advanced TV with Zappware
- Tru Optik and Anzu.io to bring targeting to in-game advertising
- 14.5 million Australians now paying TV subscriptions
- EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
- Four-fifths of broadcasters considering personalised ads
- 3Q 2019 TV shipments grow 16.8% QoQ owing to peak season
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
- 13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV