Smart Home (connected home, home networking) News
Samsung Smart TVs to integrate iTunes video and support AirPlay 2
Jan 6, 2019 – Samsung has announced that it will offer iTunes Movies and TV Shows and Apple AirPlay 2 support on 2019 Samsung Smart TV models beginning this spring. Support on 2018 Samsung Smart TVs will be made available via firmware update.
News categories: Samsung, Apple, Won-Jin Lee, Eddy Cue, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
Smart Displays to take 12% of Smart Speaker market in 2019
Jan 4, 2019 – According to an upcoming report from Strategy Analytics, worldwide sales of smart displays, a sub segment of the wider smart speaker market, will grow 111% in 2019 to reach 16.9 million units.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
ThinQ AI and α9 Gen 2 processor power 2019 LG TVs
Jan 3, 2019 – LG is introducing its latest flagship TVs with ThinQ AI at CES 2019. Powered by the company's second-generation α (Alpha) 9 Gen 2 intelligent processor and deep learning algorithm, the new models offer a higher level of AI picture and sound experience quality.
News categories: LG Electronics, CES2019, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
ViShare to demo ultra-low latency 4K/60fps streaming over Wi-Fi at CES 2019
Jan 2, 2019 – ViShare will unveil a 4K codec chip at CES 2019. ViShare's VT4060 makes it possible to stream 4K/60fps videos over standard 5GHz Wi-Fi with a market leading performance in latency, reliability and video quality.
News categories: ViShare, CES2019, Digital TV, ICs, Smart Home, Worldwide
Samsung enables Remote Access to wireless home devices through the TV
Dec 27, 2018 – Samsung has announced Remote Access. With Remote Access, input devices, including keyboards, can be connected wirelessly to a Samsung Smart TV, making it easier for users to control their on-screen content.
News categories: Samsung, VMware, Hyogun Lee, Shankar Iyer, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
Smart speaker sales explode in EMEA in 3Q 2018
Dec 20, 2018 – According to IDC, the smart home market in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa grew 31.4% in 3Q18, reaching 23.6 million units shipped. All product categories posted double-digit growth, with smart speakers growing 116.7% in the quarter.
News categories: IDC, António Arantes, Europe, Market Research, Middle-East, Smart Home
28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
Dec 12, 2018 – Parks Associates research finds 28% of U.S. broadband households with a smart speaker with voice assistant use the device to control a smart home device, compared to only 12% that use the device to control an entertainment device.
News categories: Parks Associates, Jennifer Kent, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
Dec 12, 2018 – While the Internet of Things (IoT) is primarily associated with the industrial and enterprise markets, there is an adjacent opportunity emerging for Mobile Services Providers (MSPs) to spur the growth of a consumer IoT market, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Pablo Tomasi, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Inside Secure to acquire Verimatrix
Dec 5, 2018 – Inside Secure (Paris: INSD) has entered into an exclusivity agreement to acquire Verimatrix. The transaction will lead to the creation of a powerhouse in software-based security with significant penetration of the entertainment market.
News categories: Inside Secure, Verimatrix, Amedeo D'Angelo, Tom Munro, Big Data, Content Protection, Digital TV, MnA, Smart Home, Worldwide
- beIN dispute hits MENA pay TV subscribers
- Steady growth masks seismic shifts in US video and TV market
- BlackBerry joins the Velos Media licensing platform
- Singapore to introduce measures against illicit streaming devices
- BritBox surpasses half a million subscribers
- DAZN drives global growth via social video with Grabyo
- Euskaltel decoders now integrate Amazon Prime Video
- Cox Media and Nielsen renew TV and audio measurement agreement
- OTT TV market far from being saturated
- TDG research shows sensitivity of Netflix subscribers to price rises
- Sinclair Broadcast launches free TV streaming service, STIRR
- Wurl launches server-side ad insertion for Connected TVs
- 16% of U.S. broadband households share online video passwords
- OTE agrees to sell Telekom Albania to Albania Telecom Invest
- Mediamorph achieves record customer acquisitions in 2018
- Half of all U.S. video viewing is done with others
- ShortsTV selects Synacor's Cloud Identity Platform
- SpotX releases '2019 Video Advertising Trends' report
- Mirada multiscreen solution launches at One Communications in Bermuda
- Vestel releases first CASTVs with integrated broadcast pay TV