Smart Home (connected home, home networking) News
Amazon expands features and solutions for Fire TV Edition partners
Jan 6, 2020 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has expanded its Fire TV Edition program, delivering opportunities for developers, operators, device makers and manufacturers across multiple categories including automotive, smart TVs, soundbars and streaming media players.
News categories: Amazon, Marc Whitten, Luke Motschenbacher, Fathi El-Dwaik, Tony Wang, Ed Mas, CES2020, Digital TV, In-Car, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
Synaptics announces video SoCs with built-in secure AI framework
Jan 6, 2020 – Synaptics (NASDAQ: SYNA) has announced its VideoSmart VS600 family of multimedia SoCs designed with human perceptive intelligence for smart displays, smart cameras, video soundbars, set-top-boxes, voice-enabled devices and computer vision IoT products.
News categories: Synaptics, Saleel Awsare, Blake Kozak, CES2020, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
U.S. consumer technology sales to hit $422 billion in 2020
Jan 5, 2020 – Skyrocketing popularity of streaming services and wireless earbuds along with 5G connectivity and AI-enabled devices will drive revenue growth for the U.S. consumer tech industry to a record $422 billion in retail revenues in 2020, according to the CTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, CES2020, Digital TV, In-Car, Market Research, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
VIZIO unveils SmartCast 4.0 and new voice remote
Jan 5, 2020 – VIZIO has announced SmartCast 4.0, an upgrade to its smart TV platform. VIZIO is also introducing a new push-to-talk Voice Remote, which allows users to more easily access their content using their voice, while also supporting other smart home queries.
News categories: VIZIO, Bill Baxter, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA, UX
LG to unveil 2020 8K TV lineup with next-gen AI at CES
Jan 3, 2020 – LG Electronics will introduce its expanded 8K TV lineup next week at CES 2020 – eight TVs with new 77- and 65-inch class models joining LG's existing 88- and 75-inch screen sizes. Every model exceeds the 8K Ultra HD definition set by the CTA.
News categories: LG Electronics, CES2020, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
Open Connectivity Foundation introduces Smart Home standard
Jan 2, 2020 – The Open Connectivity Foundation (OCF) has announced that products from BSC Computer, COMMAX, Haier, LG Electronics, Resideo, Samsung and SURE Universal will be showcased in completely interoperable smart home demonstrations at a press event in Las Vegas on January 6, 2020.
News categories: Open Connectivity Foundation, Viktor Ariel, Jörg Hofmann, Woo Seok Byun, Guohuo Chen, I.P. Park, Scott Harkins, CES2020, Smart Home, Worldwide
DISH introduces Google Nest Hello to the Hopper platform
Dec 20, 2019 – DISH has announced that its Hopper and Wally receivers now support the Google Nest Hello Video doorbell. When the doorbell rings, Nest Hello sends on-screen notifications directly to the television.
News categories: DISH Network, Google Nest, Rob Sadler, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home, USA
Xperi and TiVo to combine in all-stock transaction
Dec 19, 2019 – Xperi (Nasdaq: XPER) and TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO) have entered into a definitive agreement to combine to create a consumer and entertainment technology business with one of the industry’s largest intellectual property (IP) licensing platforms.
News categories: TiVo Corp, Xperi Corp, David Shull, Jon Kirchner, Big Data, Digital TV, Licensing, Media Player, MnA, Mobile, Patent, Silicon IP, Smart Home, UX, Worldwide
Amazon, Apple, Google and Zigbee Alliance form Smart Home working group
Dec 18, 2019 – Amazon, Apple, Google and the Zigbee Alliance have created a working group that plans to develop and promote the adoption of a new, royalty-free connectivity standard to increase compatibility among smart home products, with security as a fundamental design tenet.
News categories: Zigbee Alliance, Google, Apple, Amazon, Smart Home, Worldwide
- 2020 semiconductor market to decline 0.9% due to coronavirus
- Over 11,000 TV channels were available in Europe in 2019
- Disney+ already at 50 million subscribers
- Crave now available on Roku devices in Canada
- Vodafone selects Synamedia for global cloud TV platform
- Neustar and iSpot.tv unify TV and digital attribution
- Comscore and JW Player partner on contextual targeting for video advertising
- Taiwan Broadband Communications adds HBO GO
- AR/VR IC market to grow to $7.75bn by 2026 at 23.3% CAGR
- 24i powers streaming video experience for Topic
- Roku launches The Roku Channel in the UK
- Verimatrix integrates server-side watermarking with Akamai
- SVOD and T-VOD drive Korean market to new levels
- HbbTV releases HbbTV Conformance Test Suite v2020-1
- NZ: Netflix, Lightbox and Prime Video double viewership in 2019
- KT to build IPTV service for 3BB TV in Thailand
- 10 million more digital pay TV subscribers for Eastern Europe by 2025
- US: 44% with a vMVPD switched from a traditional pay TV service
- BritBox app launches on LG Smart TVs
- Contentos integrates Theta Network decentralized video delivery for COS.tv