Digital TV News: IRT
IRT and BR to add HEVC to DVB-T2 testbed in Munich
Jul 10, 2014 – Germany's Institut für Rundfunktechnik (IRT) has announced that with Bayerische Rundfunk (BR) it is planning a trial of DVB-T2 broadcasting using HEVC compression. The trial is an extension of the DVB-T2 trial that the companies began in the Munich area in 2010.
News categories: Institut für Rundfunktechnik, Bayerische Rundfunk, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Germany, Terrestrial
European HbbTV accessibility project launched
Mar 19, 2014 – The HBB4All consortium has announced the start of the European project HBB4ALL (Hybrid Broadcast Broadband for All). The project addresses media accessibility for all citizens in the connected TV environment.
News categories: HBB4All, EU, HbbTV
Subjective testing confirms importance of frame rate for UHDTV
Aug 7, 2013 – The EBU's Broadcast Technology Futures (BTF) group is conducting a series of subjective tests at IRT's facilities. Early results give a clear indication that higher frame rates are appreciated by the observers, to a significantly greater extent than increased resolution.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Version 1.5 of HbbTV Specification Released
Apr 4, 2012 – The HbbTV consortium has announced the publication of version 1.5 of its hybrid TV specification. Version 1.5 of the HbbTV specification notably introduces support for HTTP adaptive streaming based on the recently published MPEG-DASH specification.
News categories: HbbTV Consortium, Cable TV, Digital TV, HbbTV, Middleware, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
STMicroelectronics Supports Drive into Interactive Television with HbbTV Demonstrator
Sep 10, 2009 – STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) has completed a demonstrator platform for STBs capable of receiving interactive digital television services via broadcast or broadband connections. ST's platform supports the Pan-European HbbTV initiative.
News categories: STMicroelectronics, Hyperpanel, HbbTV, Digital TV, HbbTV, IBC2019, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart Home
- Pay TV subscriptions exceed 1 billion
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box